This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to: Nearly get locked in a store overnight

1. Dash through the doors a couple minutes before close to purchase vital household and/or life-saving essentials such as...a Scrabble game and a pillow pet

2. Somehow elude the notice of the salesfloor people walking off the floor looking for customers.

3. Emerge at the registers as the manager on duty is paging all clear for the night. This requires the cashier, who is closing down her till for the night, to set up and re-open her register.

4. Find out you're a couple bucks short, but no problem! You can get more money, either from somebody inside the strip mall (which is closed for the evening), or from an ATM in said strip mall. I dunno, I don't go in the strip mall.

5. Everybody is kept waiting for you to get said money because manager on duty (Peacock, for those of you scoring at home) said it's okay.

I ended up leaving work ten minutes after close. The three people at the front end probably ended up staying half an hour late each.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Did the elusive sucktomer come back? Kinda scared about the urgency of those choices...

Comment

Dunno, I was gone by then. If I see any of the people who had to stay later I will ask them tonight.

Comment

I'm sure the customer's 'urgent' purchase more than made up for the extra O/T, not to mention the disruption of your fellow employee's schedules...

Buy a clue, Peacock!

Comment

Peacock and Shithead must be related somehow; SH has done this more than once, including believing an SC when he said that the website said we're open until 10 on Sundays (never were, never will be--town bylaw).

I wish the night crew chief was allowed to make good on his threats to put dawdlers to work.
          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
            ... put dawdlers to work.
            Filler in the baler?
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

No, Dalesys, that would be a waste. I'd suggest buffers (typically rubber blocks, found on both sides of the dock plate) or wheel chocks at the loading dock. Is this store big enough to have a night crew dealing with deliveries and stocking?
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

She did come back. Nearly half an hour after I left. Apparently she also had a couple articles of clothing she had to pass on for lack of funds.

There were at least three people who wound up leaving an hour later than they should've.

Comment

There are certain benefits to getting locked in a store overnight...

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                    She did come back. Nearly half an hour after I left. Apparently she also had a couple articles of clothing she had to pass on for lack of funds.

There were at least three people who wound up leaving an hour later than they should've.
                    This is beyond messed up. Corporate needs to do something about this, a huge loss and ticked-off employees.

Well, the latter is no issue as management doesn't care. But the first...

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
                      ... a huge loss ....But the first...
                      But they made the customer HAPPY! And she'll tell three people and they'll tell three more and before you know it there will be thousands of custy's making trivial after hours purchases that net in the negative after labor costs are accounted for and we'll all be rich beyond our wildest dreams of avarice and ....

Wait.

sumpin' aint' addin' up here.....

Comment

Actually January is probably the only time of year corporate bean counters care about payroll. All the suits and upper management want their giant bonus for keeping payroll under a certain dollar amount so events like this will cause hours to get slashed across the board for the last 2 weeks.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                          I'd suggest buffers (typically rubber blocks, found on both sides of the dock plate) or wheel chocks at the loading dock. Is this store big enough to have a night crew dealing with deliveries and stocking?
                          Yup. I suspect we need both. Or a long flexible item to unjam the compactor, or mobile stepladder, or...
                          Quoth sms001 View Post
                          But they made the customer HAPPY! And she'll tell three people and they'll tell three more and before you know it there will be thousands of custy's...
                          This is what Shithead always trots out when asked why he did something that doesn't make sense (such as giving a freebie to some old bat that caused an awesome, sweet cashier to cry and made me see red). He makes a great fanfare of the fact that he was in retail since he was 10. And? Customer service that worked in the 70s (or the 50s/earlier, as he says his dad trained him) doesn't work now.
                          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                            But they made the customer HAPPY! And she'll tell three people and they'll tell three more and before you know it there will be thousands of custy's making trivial after hours purchases that net in the negative after labor costs are accounted for and we'll all be rich beyond our wildest dreams of avarice and ....

Wait.

sumpin' aint' addin' up here.....
                            Boy, this hits way too close to home...

Quoth drjonah View Post
                            Actually January is probably the only time of year corporate bean counters care about payroll. All the suits and upper management want their giant bonus for keeping payroll under a certain dollar amount so events like this will cause hours to get slashed across the board for the last 2 weeks.
                            Agreed. Either way it's the employees who lose.

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                              Customer service that worked in the 70s (or the 50s/earlier, as he says his dad trained him) doesn't work now.
                              Of course not; customers back then still had this thing called a "conscience". Most of them wouldn't dream of doing back then the nonsense they pull now.
                              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                              My LiveJournal
                              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
                              X