Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What part of the word "no" are you having trouble with?!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What part of the word "no" are you having trouble with?!

Why the hell do SCs feel they have to argue?! If I say "No, I can't do that, it's against store policy", then that should be the end of the matter. Nothing irritates and tires me out more than having to repeat myself over and over for the benefit of some cretin who thinks that I'm going to break the rules for them.

The store policy in question is one that came into being a little while ago when we were told that cuz of people circulating stolen/forged notes, we were no longer allowed to change notes. We could give out coins, but not notes any more. The SC came in and asked to change three twenties into tens. I told her that this was not possible, cuz of the new policy. That's when the fight started.

SC: What? But I came over last week, and you let me!
    Me: I'm sorry but it's a new policy. You could buy something and I could give you some change, but not six tens.
    SC: What if I pretend to buy this chewing gum, and you just put it back on the shelf?
    Me: I'm sorry, but I can't. I could get into trouble.
    SC: Who's going to tell?
    Me: (thinks, we have cameras you duh brain!) I'm sorry, but I can't do this.

Honestly, this conversation continued for around ten minutes, til the SC finally left me alone. Look, if I say no, then that's not going to change no matter how much you badger me! I'm not going to risk getting told off just cuz you can't organise yourself and go to the bank.
    People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
    My DeviantArt.

They act as if they argue long enough that you'll give in to their demands. They don't care about rules & procedures. They just want what they want however they want & if rules be broken then too bad.
    & IF every retail place gave in to the whims of SC's then everything would end up being given away for FREE & SC"s would STILL bitch & complain!

Comment

Breaking a single $20 into smaller bills is a reasonable thing to ask (although "no" should be an acceptable answer.) But breaking three $20's? No, nothing suspicious about that at all...

Comment

Quoth sirwired View Post
        Breaking a single $20 into smaller bills is a reasonable thing to ask (although "no" should be an acceptable answer.) But breaking three $20's? No, nothing suspicious about that at all...
        That's £20 notes, approx. $30 each. I'd nope right out of that, too.

Comment

We can't even break one twenty into smaller notes any more, not unless the customer buys something. The idea is to put off the people peddling fake/stolen notes, but unfortunately the normal customers get screwed over. Always happens tho, the few ruining things for the many, and sadly we can't make exceptions for anyone. We're also not allowed to give away too much change in coins either, tho that is cuz the cash office was getting pissed off at the amount of coins we were getting thru and told us to cut back on the change we give each customer.

The really stupid thing about this is that there is a flipping BANK just a couple of yards away where people could get their money changed up.
          My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
            The really stupid thing about this is that there is a flipping BANK just a couple of yards away where people could get their money changed up.
            I always hate it when I answer that I can't do something because it's against policy. Completely true, yet the phrase gets SCs riled up as if I'M the person making policy.

Would it help to say you're not allowed to open the till without a sale? For some reason I used to get less pushiness with that explanation than if I simply said it was against policy. And when you have folks wanting you to break larger amounts once the till is open, you just say your change is limited and they'll need to go to the bank next door.

Either way, you're still going to get the SCs who feel you should be their own personal banker.
            A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Like a lowly cashier has any power over policy. Why do people not get this? If you have a problem with set policy, complain to corporate or at least let me call the LOD. But nooooo, they have to yell at the one person who can't possibly do anything about it. Yell at me and you get nothing. Be nice and explain the problem and I'll do whatever I can to help. Again, why do people not get that? (Can anyone tell that I had a really bad day today? Wanders off grumbling.)

Now, over the Christmas season, I did break the rules to open the till for people who asked me to break a large bill into smaller ones. That was because they wanted to donate to the bell ringer who was standing out in the cold.

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post

Would it help to say you're not allowed to open the till without a sale?
                Doesn't work. All that happens is that the SC hovers annoyingly around you til you open the till to give a customer change, then the SC says, "While you've got the till open..."
                My DeviantArt.

Comment

Scam

Look, lots of people may want a twenty broken down because they want smaller change to tip someone, or give someone they own a tenner.

However, if they keep insisting on breaking more than one bill, still stay around asking you to do scuzzy things I smell full on scam.

Comment

I get people asking me to make change for our ticket machine. This is dumb on 3 levels:
                    1: they do it because they don't want to spend the whole note - well, that's not unusual, which is why the machine gives change.
                    2: I can do everything the machine can & more; 9 times out of 10 I'll end up selling them what they need, the other time they scamper off because they wanna buy an illegally discounted ticket or it was a failed change con or they never intended buying a ticket in the first place.
                    3: I can poke my head out of the front door & see a bank within falling-over distance; if you don't like that branch, turn left when you get outside & there's 4 others within 5 minutes' walk.

Le sigh. I've taken to fishing out bags of coins if they're really insistent, it's amazing how few people take me up on the offer though!
                    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
                      They act as if they argue long enough that you'll give in to their demands. They don't care about rules & procedures. They just want what they want however they want & if rules be broken then too bad.
                      & IF every retail place gave in to the whims of SC's then everything would end up being given away for FREE & SC"s would STILL bitch & complain!
                      The problem is this: SOME spineless jellyfish manager WILL, after a certain amount of SC bitch'in and complainin' and yelling, give the SC what they want EVEN THOUGH it is against company policy.
                      I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                      -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                        *in a sweet naive voice* But the banks will notice the fake notes quickly, then the crime and penelties becomes harsher. How is a hard working criminal suppose to make a living these days? [/sarcasm]
                        I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

We couldn't change notes at Land of Quid either. Oh, the arguments I had with customers over that. Some guy even called me a c**t. I was like, seriously? You called me THAT because I politely told you that we weren't allowed to change notes? Die in a fire.

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
                            The problem is this: SOME spineless jellyfish manager WILL, after a certain amount of SC bitch'in and complainin' and yelling, give the SC what they want EVEN THOUGH it is against company policy.
                            Yup. Doesn't matter how against policy, how ridiculous the request, how gratingly, spine meltingly, fingernails-against-the-blackboard wrong the customer is, all they have to do is hold out with the whining (maybe escalate it if they can do it without getting into anti-social behaviour/call security territory), and there's an 80% chance they'll get what they want. Most managers'll say yes to get the harpies to go bother someone else.

A case of your patience versus their persistence. There are multiple consumer t.v. shows that have told them that this is exactly what they have to do to get what they want, no mater how blatantly against policy the request.
                            Patient has severely impacted cranial rectosis. There's probably no cure. - Overheard in ER

Comment

I blame the parents. Remember seeing children whining at parents til they say yes instead of no? This is what those children grow up as.

Luckily, our managers are of the rigid spine sort who will not give in to SCs. That's always a relief; it's so demoralising when you refuse to break a policy, then a manager does just to keep some SC happy when it would be better for all concerned to just let the SC go and bother someone else.
                              My DeviantArt.

Comment

Working...
                              X