Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, remember that people on those sites are a lot like onions - they make your eyes burn shrieking customers. They don't want to be logical, or accurate, or anything like that -- they just want to be agreed with and kowtowed to, aka "Right"
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Smapti View Post
      It had never occurred to me that someone might see the un-updated app on their phone and conclude that the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria had planted it on their phone to spy on them.
      Just when you think they get to the bottom of the crazy well, someone will bring out the dynamite of paranoia. These are also the same people who believe the headlines from the Onion.

When I saw the ISIS app on my phone, I wondered how long it would take for some idiot to call up the Red Checkmark and bitch about how they were helping terrorism win the war... My hubs got home and I wondered no more.
      If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
        Just when you think they get to the bottom of the crazy well, someone will bring out the dynamite of paranoia. These are also the same people who believe the headlines from the Onion.
        I had a coworker at the wholesale club who thought that the Weekly World News tabloid was all 100% true. I still remember the exchange we had wherein I clued her in.

Her: "Can you believe this?"
        (Headline: "World's Fattest Woman to Marry World's Skinniest Man!" or something like that.)
        J2K: "You know that's all fake, right?"
        Her: "But there's a picture!"
        J2K: "...you know they can take that, right?"

And that's when she learned about Photoshop, your honor.
        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
          Her: "Can you believe this?"
          (Headline: "World's Fattest Woman to Marry World's Skinniest Man!" or something like that.)
          J2K: "You know that's all fake, right?"
          Her: "But there's a picture!"
          J2K: "...you know they can take that, right?"
          Well, next you'll be telling me pro wrestling isn't real either!

Comment

Quoth Smapti View Post
            Hey, whoa, you do not want to open that can of worms around me, pal. Otherwise it will be pistols at dawn, good sir.
            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
              No, the Beatles. Cookies for reference.
              Buck Rogers. I can't believe I actually used to watch that.
              Sometimes life is altered.
              Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
              Uneasy with confrontation.
              Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth Smapti View Post
                Pro wrestling (at least the WWF/WWE variety) is NOT "fixed", any more than the original Star Wars is (every time I watch it, Luke ALWAYS misses the first shot at the Death Star's exhaust port, and on his second attempt blows it up with seconds to spare). To be "fixed" implies that it's a competition.

It's actually live theater, with a set built to resemble an athletic arena. As theater, it's scripted and choreographed.
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                  Pro wrestling (at least the WWF/WWE variety) is NOT "fixed", any more than the original Star Wars is (every time I watch it, Luke ALWAYS misses the first shot at the Death Star's exhaust port, and on his second attempt blows it up with seconds to spare). To be "fixed" implies that it's a competition.

It's actually live theater, with a set built to resemble an athletic arena. As theater, it's scripted and choreographed.
                  With a great deal of improvisation!

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
                    Buck Rogers. I can't believe I actually used to watch that.
                    BIDIBIDIBIDIBEEP ^_^

Did ya know that opening tune actually had lyrics in the pilot episode? (music starts at around 1:08)
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

MadMike and EricKei, I'm glad to see that I'm not the only "vintage flatulence" around here. I wonder if any of the current generation would even get that joke. BTW, I wonder why one of the characters was named "City of God" (from the Greek - remember Dr. Theopolis?)
                      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

And if you are important enough to ISIS that they actually are bugging your phone,I'm sure there would be more than one person who would like a little chat as to just why you're on such close terms with them...
                        The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

wolfie -- It's been years, but, as I recall, the good Doc could be interpreted as something of a representative of their society itself. To Buck and any other *ahem* primitives like us, such a place would certainly appear to be some sort of advanced techno-wonder paradise...on the surface, at least. Giving a character who is something of a stand-in for said city could be seen as a way of giving that name, implications included, to the city itself, in a slightly more subtle way. Then again, the name could simply reflect his *intentions* for the city/society.

Comment

The other day a customer threatened to report my company to the Attorney General, the FCC and the BBC.
                            Gives new meaning to "Captain Slow."
                            Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Working...
                            X