This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is how identity theft happens...

To the loud, obnoxious lady at Fifth Third Bank this morning...I sure hope nobody was listening when you were discussing your mortgage issues with the teller. I mean, it's not like you didn't even try to keep that stuff confidential. Had I been lacking scruples, the street address, social security number, and other details...could have been used to buy such things as a new Ferrari or two. Plus, there's no need to shout, and give me a headache.

Guys (and gals), I don't condone identity theft. But, after working in a bank's auditing department, as well as reading about all the scams that are out there...I just have to wonder what the hell she was thinking? I mean, even though I was at the desk writing out a check, I could have easily been sitting there with a notepad, gleefully jotting down her info. Then I could have jumped online, and used her details to open all sorts of accounts.

Not that I would have ever done that. But, it always amazes the hell out of me that some people are so careless with their personal information.
    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

I totally agree. Recently at work we had a customer send something to us by mail. They wrote it on the back of a page of their bank statement. With their account number across the top.

My CW had the secretary shred the paper after she took care of the business on the other side of it. Nothing wrong with recycling paper, but OMG how do you miss the fact that your bank account number is on the other side??
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

And these are, in all likelihood, the same people that screech and carry on about *gasp* how DARE you ask for personal and private information if a cashier asks for their zip code. I weep.
      You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Kittish, I totally know what you mean.
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Kittish View Post
          And these are, in all likelihood, the same people that screech and carry on about *gasp* how DARE you ask for personal and private information if a cashier asks for their zip code. I weep.
          SC: (Loud enough for the store to hear) MY SS# IS [SS#] MY ADDRESS IS [address] AND MY PHONE NUMBER IS [phone number]
          Cashier? And can I get your email address?
          SC: I'M NOT GIVING THAT OUT! THAT'S PERSONAL INFORMATION!
          To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
            ...I just have to wonder what the hell she was thinking?
            Simple. Yelling = "These people HAVE to listen to/serve me, they can't ignore me!" syndrome.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Some of the personal (financial and otherwise) details that I overhear during a daily commute...the scary thing is that I probably have access to some of the tools required to cause havoc. At least one person in the past week has given 50 strangers their name, address, SSN, at least one credit card number (complete with CVV2), and other fun info.

Do you think people will learn? No, it's always the bank's/ISP's/merchant's fault somehow. I will regularly see people use SCO and leave without finalizing a debit card payment; pressing "Finish and Pay" reveals that they have already entered their debit PIN and the screen is at the "Cash Back Y/N" phase (meaning that anyone could get cash back and since they would also have the receipt that prints the victim would have a hard time proving they didn't spend $200 on ice cream--if they even notice).
              "I am quite confident that I do exist."
              "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

When I go mail things at the PO, I tend to use the SCO machine. The number of times I've closed out other people's transactions is crazy. I can think of 2 times in the past year that I haven't had to.

Maybe they *want* to pay for everyone else's postage and stamps?
                https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Quoth Kanalah View Post
                  When I go mail things at the PO, I tend to use the SCO machine. The number of times I've closed out other people's transactions is crazy. I can think of 2 times in the past year that I haven't had to.

Maybe they *want* to pay for everyone else's postage and stamps?
                  This is most likely why my bank's ATM spits my card back out right after I enter it but before it allows me to start the transaction. Probably too many people were driving off without their cards when they didn't spit out until after the transaction finished.

Comment

Quoth siskaren View Post
                    This is most likely why my bank's ATM spits my card back out right after I enter it but before it allows me to start the transaction. Probably too many people were driving off without their cards when they didn't spit out until after the transaction finished.
                    I've left my card in a bank machine before ( though as it happens, the transaction was over) though what i did was report the card as lost ( since I wasn't 100% sure I had, and had in fact got home before I realized my mistake) and waited for a replacement to arrive. Oh, and for obvious reasons ( it isn't their fault) not being rude to whoever's on the other end of the phone.

Comment

Quoth siskaren View Post
                      This is most likely why my bank's ATM spits my card back out right after I enter it but before it allows me to start the transaction.
                      Also probably why my bank's ATM gives you stuff in the following order: card, cash, receipt. Too many people are likely to wander off without taking their card, not many are likely to wander off without taking the cash they came for.
                      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

The bus ride everyday is like an identity thief's wet dream. People telling their social security numbers, credit card info, addresses. C'mon people, take care of business in a more quiet place, not a packed Port Authority bus!!!

Comment

Years ago I had my atm card sucked back into the machince because I was putting my money away or looking at my receipt. The atm was right inside the bank and now I realize how unsafe that was. Luckily the bank was open and I just went inside and they got my card out for me. Hopefully I gave them a good laugh for the rest of the day. I know I felt dumb for letting that happen.
                          I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

I've forgotten my card at an ATM. It was late and I was tired. I pulled a stupid. The guy behind me was also tired, and pulled a stupid. I'm not sure what happened, but he pulled $100 out of my account. I found this out when I got home and called to report my card lost. They informed me that a second transaction had been made. *sigh* They were quite pleasant and started the process of a fraud claim, but I didn't yell at them. It was my own stupid fault. Anyway, the dude behind me eventually figured out his mistake (or got an attack of the guilties) and went to the bank the next day with the receipt and put the 100 bucks back into my account.
                            At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Most ATMs that I've used lately have required me to pull my card back out before giving me my money. If I don't take it, it keeps beeping at me, and it won't dispense the cash.

But I understand that may not be how all ATMs are designed. (Though it should be.)
                              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Working...
                              X