This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
    Or come hang out behind my store and watch the divers work. I don't even bother trying to chase them away anymore - guess it's because I know firsthand what it's like to work and at times still not have enough out of my check after bills to buy enough groceries to last until the next check.

Our store does, however, donate bakery and bread items to the local food bank on a weekly basis. Not to mention my company has (as of this year) cut ties w/a long standing children's charity we used to raise money for and instead directed their "giving back" focus on feeding the hungry.
    Over here we have a food bank that cooperates with a large supermarket chain. They arrive every night to collect items that have reached the "best before" date, keep the items heavily refrigerated to keep Health Inspection standards, and are distributed to homeless shelters and other organizations the next morning.

Other supermarkets tend to mark down perishables about 1-2 hours before close, so many people take on that offer instead of dumpster diving.
    Last edited by NorthernZel; 02-23-2015, 12:22 AM.
    A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

Diving can also be an environmental thing. Some people say they do it not only to get the food but also to lower the amount of waste, and you know stores waste a LOT.

The amount of laundry detergent, junk food, etc that some people get is astonishing! One woman I read about has said her cat now eats only high end foods from what she gets diving. Another guy got four huge bags of dog food and gave them to a buddy on unemployment who couldn't quite get up the money for it himself.
      Last edited by Tama; 02-23-2015, 01:32 AM.
      My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Working...
      X