This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New job

I've been working at a new massage therapy job for about a month now, and for the most part, it's great! I'm actually a bit surprised they hired me, as I have 2 months left in my current pregnancy... But that's neither here nor there.

I've had 2 clients so far who I sincerely hope never to see again.

The first is a woman who can not be quiet for more than 30 seconds. This is not a problem in itself, but when it delays the start of her session by 20 minutes, it becomes problematic. And when the massage is over and it takes another 30 minutes to get her out the door... I very much wanted to push her out. Lady, you are not our only client, and there are things we need to take care of that we can't do until you leave! I'm trying to come up with excuses for her; extreme loneliness? ADHD? And she claims to have been a massage therapist, which I find hard to believe because of some of the things she said. SMH.

The second person was extremely demanding and expected me to read her mind. I'm sorry, I don't know that you want an add on unless you tell me. In massage, you need a certain amount of lotion (or whatever lubricant you choose) to glide over the skin, but too much and you will slip off, especially as you use more pressure. This woman wanted lots of pressure, and kept telling me to put more lotion on, which made me work twice as hard for the same effect. Unfortunately, I did realize what I was doing to my hands until it was too late and they started cramping up on me. The next day, I could barely hold a glass of water! Now, I'm not going to regale you with all of the modifications she requested throughout, but I felt like I really went above and beyond for her. After all that, she didn't leave a tip.

Talk to your boss

Time is money:

Talk to your boss about the first woman. Every minute she takes up is either time they are paying to do nothing but listen, or time you are not handling a customer which you get paid to massage. Either way of payment your boss is losing out and should tell you how hard you are allowed to push the woman out.

Lotion is money:

Same thing, the more she demands - the more it is costing your boss. I don't know what they will say about your hands but I am sure they don't want you using more oil/lotion than is needed to get the job done.

Anyway, good luck on the baby.

Comment

And here I thought I was the worst client ever when I got a massage in Vegas. I got a head cold or an allergy flare up the night before and was trying desperately not to cough or sneeze while the masseuse was working on me. I did end up with one coughing fit I couldn't avoid and apologized profusely for it. Felt much better after the massage, though.

I'm one of those people who needs more pressure due to old injuries, but I always make sure to tell whoever is working on me first.
      I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Quoth Ellain View Post
        And she claims to have been a massage therapist, which I find hard to believe because of some of the things she said. SMH.
        Sure she's a massage therapist... see, she gave a friend of hers a back rub that one time...

Comment

Quoth bankworking View Post
          Sure she's a massage therapist... see, she gave a friend of hers a back rub that one time...
          Nah, it was a professional massage... and it had a happy ending.

I love massage therapists. With my fibromyalgia I depend on them to help me thru my worst flare-ups. It's a blessing to find one who knows to avoid the trigger points and can find the balance between firm enough pressure to help but not so firm I hurt even worse. And I tip really well. It's worth it.
          Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

I went to a college with a massage therapy course and the amount of training they had to do and know about the human body was shocking further they couldn't take cold meds even because in practice massages they had to be able to let the other person know what was happening and numbing parts of your body is a bad idea for that.
            Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
            Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

Quoth Ellain View Post
              And she claims to have been a massage therapist, which I find hard to believe because of some of the things she said. SMH.
              you misheard her... she didn't say "I'm a massage therapist", she said "I'mma massage the rapist".
              she's a prison guard who beats on the inmates.

Comment

Quoth roxtar View Post
                you misheard her... she didn't say "I'm a massage therapist", she said "I'mma massage the rapist".
                she's a prison guard who beats on the inmates.
                I have to ask you about the Penis Mightier.
                PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Working...
                X