This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This could be a lack of fun

Well, like about 30% of the population, I've got high blood pressure. No surprise - I've lived the wide life for several decades, and the chances were pretty high that I'd be affected. The chemical I went on around Christmas was effective in keeping it within reasonable levels. One pill a day with breakfast isn't much of a burden, right?

About a month back, I started with a few symptoms and after a while I realised some of these coincided with contra-indications on the BP medication leaflet. Saw the doctor yesterday.

I'd had an ECG in November (part of the BP medication trail) and wasn't overly worried by the occasionally erratic heart rate, and the symptoms made sense with the leaflet.

Another ECG and a bit of stethoscoping later, I've got a brand new condition. Atrial fibrillation. Hit Google - I did. Fairly harmless, but quite limiting. Loss of breath after a flight of stairs sort of thing, so I'm on a beta blocker instead of the BP medication.

The downside is that one possible outcome is that this may mean surgery. I'm going to have to take a chainsaw to the fur! Tragedy!

If I go silent for a while, you know where I am

The doctor was going to give me a three-week sicknote from work, but after a discussion (my side was "Aw hell no!") I'm confined to a desk and can't exercise.

"Er, I biked to work yesterday with limited effect."

"In that case you got lucky."

That's a bit harsh, but it wakes you up.

Rapscallion

Does this mean buh-bye to the furry manboobs?
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

You might want to kiss them farewell just in case.

Rapscallion

Comment

A fib isn't completely harmless. It raises your risk for stroke. However, it can be managed with medication, which may take a while to tweak.

Keep us posted.
        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

The downside is that one possible outcome is that this may mean surgery. I'm going to have to take a chainsaw to the fur! Tragedy!
          They can do surgery for it now? My mother use to periodically get the defib treatment - getting her heart shocked back into rhythm for a-fib. then eventually it wouldn't take so they put her on Coumadin (warfarin) - a blood thinner.

Comment

Not looked into the full details, but there are surgical options. One's called the maze procedure, but I'd rather take the chemical route to get things back to normal. You really shouldn't try to ruin perfection with stitch marks.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
              You really shouldn't try to ruin perfection with stitch marks.
              Perhaps you can get them to use a nice cross stich pattern... we can have a design contest here!

But hey, I hope the new pills will do the trick... crossing my fingers etc
              No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

But Raps, chicks dig scars!

(seriously, take care of yourself!)
                The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

I'll let the docs do the care taking. Follow instructions and all that If anything else funny comes up, I'll make sure you all know

Rapscallion

Comment

I got shaved again last month for an EKG. The weather is turning nice and I can't go to the beach as I have bald spots on my chest.

It has been over a year since my bout of A Fib. I am doing great. Might even be able to get off the blood thinner in a couple of months. That will be two down and six more to go. Want to compare Med lists?

ETA: Forgot to add... The surgery, are they talking about an Ablation? If so, the scar WON"T be on your chest.
                    Last edited by csquared; 05-03-2013, 08:37 PM.
                    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                    Save the Ales!
                    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Not even got to the consultation with the cardiologist yet - going to be a while and the gp is going to try and control stuff with tablets, which may be successful.

Not particularly feeling crappy yet, so not worried.

Rapscallion

Comment

Mine hit on a Tuesday. Saw the Doc that afternoon. Got referred to the Cardiologist.

Saw the Cardio on Thursday. Was immediately admitted to the hospital where they pumped me full of blood thinners.

On Friday, they did a TEE to verify that there were no blood clots in the atrial. Then they did a cardioversion. They released me Saturday night. Felt good as new.

Good luck.
                        Save the Ales!

Comment

Saw doctor again this morning. Looks like the NHS waiting list game is in operation, so it's going to be a while before I get seen at the hospital. However, I'm in again at the doctor (monitoring the medication she's now doubled for me today as I've shown no intolerance) on Friday.

Not feeling too bad and I'm off manual labour at work and stuff. For some, this is the goal of working at my place. Pisses me off, but what can I do? Anyway, not really in discomfort or anything. Just working at a desk and trying not to eat more calories than I need.

I was offered a three-week sick note, but as I pointed out if I end up falling over and injuring myself, I have a far better chance of getting aid from a concerned colleague at work than I do at home, living by myself.

Rapscallion

Comment

The two biggest threats from A-fib is:

1. The blood is not flowing through the atrial chambers like it should. It pools and this can lead to clotting. Clotting leads to stroke, That is what the blood thinners (warfrin/Pradaxa) are for.

2. Straining yourself and passing out.

I was given two options. Be admitted and have the TEE and Cardioversion OR start taking blood thinners and in 30 days have the Cardioversion in office (no TEE).

In other words, it is not an emergency. I opted for the hospital as I got dizzy climbing the stair to get to the bedroom.

Just take it easy, and remember, if you get dizzy, SIT DOWN! That will keep you from breaking your nose when you pass out.

Hope you feel better soon.
                            Save the Ales!

Comment

Since going on the beta blocker, the light-headed occasions have pretty much vanished, I'm pleased to say. I'm feeling fairly confident in the medium term, though a few colleagues seem to be showing more concern than I am.

Heh. I'm fearsome.

Rapscallion

Comment

Working...
                              X