X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Like a Fart in the Breeze

Dear Cow-Irkers,

When you call me for intercession with the dread silicon gods, please be good enough to stay by your workstation while I appease their wrath. Failing that, at least let me know where you might be so I can find you once I'm done so you can test that things are working as needed, or I can tell you what you need to know about the fix.

I can not just sit at your station for 15-20 minutes after I've finished because you decided to wander off/talk to Nancy in the next office/go to the bathroom/GO TO LUNCH! GAH!

I have five other tickets at the moment, and I will take off with just a note left behind if you do this to me.

No I don't feel the least bit bad about it.
    Last edited by Geek King; 12-08-2015, 06:51 PM. Reason: Irritation makes for poor spellcheck :p
    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
    Hoc spatio locantur.

Yes, I used to have to deal with this almost weekly! I would be in a Users office at their computer to troubleshoot whatever problem they would be having, I would turn around to ask them a question about it, enter their password, etc., and they would be gone! Then I started telling the Users that this is not the time to take a break. If they needed to leave, TELL ME!

Comment

Huh, this is sure different from the way it works at my job. Usually they come in and start messing around and don't want the user to say ANYTHING. I generally get the impression that they don't want us to hang around.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
        Huh, this is sure different from the way it works at my job. Usually they come in and start messing around and don't want the user to say ANYTHING. I generally get the impression that they don't want us to hang around.
        It probably depends on the user base, and/or security issues. Back when I was doing support/indie work, I had a few customers who were major distractions while I was working, let alone if they "tried to help". Or in a large, well-secured network, they may be worried about the user noting admin passwords, getting their hands on an admin shell, or just seeing confidential information.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
          Most of the offices I've worked in recently (I'm currently a contract employee) want you to confirm with the user that everything is running when you finish. If you don't, you'll get a call when the user wanders back, "Is it okay to use my computer again?" Then the person answering the help line has to track the tech down to get an answer. Even more aggravating when I cover three plants and two offices in my current area, so I might not even be in the same ZIP code,
          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
            I have to ask you to trust me when I say it's nothing personal, it just makes things run more smoothly. Sometimes stuff happens that slow downs the process and frustrates us, especially when it's a new problem we've not dealt with before. This gets worse when a user keeps coming in and asking for details beyond "are you done yet?" when they don't have the knowledge to understand the work being done or even WANT to understand. The term >DUMMY MODE< exists for a reason and it's usually because we're forced into explaining what we're doing. The user doesn't understand and blanks out, making explanation even longer. This is while we're trying to get the work done which often requires us to focus on the task. It distracts us and makes the process longer which nobody really wants.

The best advice I can offer is don't take it personally and to do your work that doesn't require a computer while letting us do ours. If we need something we will ask for it when we need it. It's not that we're anti-social (okay, it's not entirely that), it's we're trying to get you back into operation as fast as possible without screwing up necessitating a return visit and you in a less than pleasant mood.
            I AM the evil bastard!
            A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

If I suddenly run face-first into an error I've never seen before*, my focus is then going to be on clearing that error as it's likely directly related to something that must be fixed to proceed. I'm not going to 'work around it' until I know that a workaround for B isn't going to make A (the original issue if B was not related) worse/weirder. I'll tell them the bare basics of what went wrong and that it will be fixed.

* which sometimes--depending on the person and if I was able to predict a problem and head it off--spurs the user to start in with "You broke it!"
              "I am quite confident that I do exist."
              "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Working...
              X