This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found a phone

My sister did some cleaning up of winter debris outside at the front of the house - old leaves and stuff, mostly - and what does she find under the leaves but a cell phone!

It could have been there since last fall. You can see moisture under the glass and it won't turn on. Pretty sure it's bricked.

So what's the proper way to dispose of this thing? There's no way to tell who owned it. I don't think you're supposed to toss things like this in the regular trash.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Google for "electronic waste disposal" in your area. Failing that, call a local phone shop that sells that brand. It stands to reason that they would have the ability to dispose of them safely.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I work for a telco, and we have mobile recycling in store. As do our competitors.

Comment

It's entirely possible it might in fact work, if you dry it out thoroughly and then charge the battery.

But it's also entirely possible that being left outside for so long has corroded something vital.

Comment

Yeah that's not bricked, that is fried.
          I AM the evil bastard!
          A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
            It's entirely possible it might in fact work, if you dry it out thoroughly and then charge the battery.

But it's also entirely possible that being left outside for so long has corroded something vital.
            I don't think I have a cord that would fit it. I use Tracfones and they're both several years old (in fact they're about to be replaced because, per Tracfone, they will no longer work with their upgraded network!)

It's likely been out there for months, which means through heavy rain, snow, cold, etc. I'll probably stop in at the Sprint store nearby and see if they can accept it for disposal.
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
            X