X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wedding Reception Nightmare

This is gonna be a loong post.

So Saturday night, the motel was hosting a wedding reception in the restaurant. About three quarters of the rooms were booked out specifically for wedding guests, plus we had a few other rooms occupied for normal guests. My first mistake was forgetting to warn these guests about said reception, though at the time I was being naive about the amount of trouble it was gonna cause.

The front desk is under the restaurant so you could really hear the noise.

Did I forget to mention that the majority of the wedding attendees were around their mid-twenties?

You can see where this is going.

The morning after was a nightmare. I had morning shift, so I had to handle the complaints from the other guests about the wedding. Turns out they were still partying their drunk asses off past 10:30PM with the music only stopping at midnight. Then they were still out in the carpark doing who knows what until 3AM. Needless to say, the other guests were REALLY pissy in the morning. We're gonna have to cut 50% off their stays.

Next, we had arranged for a breakfast buffet the restaurant. What was supposed to happen was that we would ask them at check-in to pre-pay per person to cut the hassle. Unfortunately, the person before me either forgot or didn't push the issue, and expected the guests to come into the front desk at a later time and pay then.

The morning of the buffet? Almost every guest instead went directly to the restaurant to pay. Let me offer my case. When I clocked in, there was still one wedding guest room left to check in. When they did, I forgot to ask and no one else showed up that night. In the morning, only ONE guest showed up and paid for two. No one else. Now my manager and supervisor are at each other's necks.

Then of course came the lack of courtesy of checking out. Here's a simple rule: BRING THE DAMN KEY UP TO THE OFFICE. The amount of people who didn't was staggering, so we had to go around knocking to check the rooms were empty to find them. On top of that, one of the guests accidentally left with one of the spare keys, so we contacted her but she still hadn't come back by the time my shift changed. If we don't get the key back, she's gonna be fined $100 for it (not a good situation to be in).

After that was the mess. They must have gone through maybe a dozen boxes of Coronas and another half dozen of various. What's worse is that as I was stripping the bedsheets, some rooms had either a few bottles of beer or in the case of one room, beer boxes filled with empty bottles that I had to drag out myself. One of my coworkers mentioned that some were drinking since 10:00AM. There were so many recyclables, they've basically filled up all our recycling bins.

And we found vomit in one room so oh joyous occasion, we're gonna have to charge them for the cleaners.

In the end, it wasn't a smooth experience. There were mix-ups, bad communication and all round unpleasant behaviour. I will admit fault, and even if I have to the person before me and the way the guests acted.

Assuming that this was planned ahead of time -- The bosses should have brought in extra workers just in case, and probably some folks qualified to act as security/bouncers at the celebration, to keep things down to a dull roar. They had time to make arrangements. As it stands, with the discounts to the non-wedding guests, and the discount I can only imagine the wedding people got (for booking so many rooms), your place may very well have LOST money on that night.

As for long posts -- psh ^_^ I didn't even need to scroll! We like us some long posts 'round here, especially if they're good stories, and -- no worries, nobody is gonna give you any crap for posting them, either.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

What an absolute disaster, I'm hoping some valuable lessons got learned here that will be applied the next time a wedding rolls around...

Agreed; between the mess, unpaid buffet and comps you've lost money on this - probably a lot. And I don't see corporate being too happy about that...

Comment

The planning needs to be much better. Front desk clerk should have a list of what to talk to the wedding guests about: curfew, cleaning, breakfast fee. Someone needs to be the hotel representative at the wedding to manage things, possibly an extra person overnight to handle complaints, and definitely someone at the breakfast to see if you have proof you paid. They might also need to invest in some soundproofing. 10:30pm isn't that late.

Sorry you got stuck dealing with the fallout.

Comment

Working...
        X