This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Myrtle Beach

The Wife and I are thinking about take a trip to Myrtle Beach the tail end of May (before school lets out and the tourists flood in).

Anybody have have any "must see" recommendations? Better still, some "must eat".

Already planning a half day sailing trip.

Anybody live in the area?
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

If you're going to come in at the end of May, please make sure that you book now because while school may not be officially out, we'll be getting some of the early bird tourists down here. Plus there might be a motorcycle event going on during that time, so be prepared for a lot of noise.

Must see recommendations include Brookgreen Gardens, the MB State Park [I think it's $5 per person to get in], Huntington State Park [don't remember the price of admission], the boardwalk that goes from 2nd ave. pier to 14th ave. pier, Broadway at the Beach [go to Broadway Louie's at night, free karaoke on some nights], and a few other things.

Must eats? Well, what's your dining out budget?
    Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Would like to keep most of the eats to under $20/plate. Might do one $50/plate. Would like to find where the locals go to avoid the tourists. Will have transportation, so distance is not an issue.

We are finalizing the reservations so we can get the good rates.
      Save the Ales!

Comment

DO NOT, under any circumstances, stay at Bermuda Sands hotel!!

It is the PITS. Something like 53% negative reviews on Trip Advisor, and well deserved.

Dirty, falling apart, drunks partying in the parking lot constantly, they even had a murder there a couple of years ago. And staff often refuses to refund your money if you decide the place is too run down and want out. Be warned!
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Just down the road from MB is BB-55 USS North Carolina. It's a fun tour.
          While in NC you gotta eat plenty of BBQ.
          Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

As much as I love seafood, don't go to Captain Georges as it's usually packed from a little before opening all the way to close. It's a good restaurant, all you can eat, but you'd be paying between $60-100 for two people -- it depends on the season for the price. You do get your money worth, though.

Most of the restaurants around here are chains, like Red Robin, Outback, Ruby Tuesdays, etc. El Cerro Grande and Abuelo's is good, at least it has been the times that I've gone. And whatever you do, do NOT go to any Friendly's in the area -- the last time I went to one, there were flies.
            Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
              DO NOT, under any circumstances, stay at Bermuda Sands hotel!!
              Quoth Android Kaeli View Post
              As much as I love seafood, don't go to Captain Georges * snip* And whatever you do, do NOT go to any Friendly's in the area -- the last time I went to one, there were flies.
              Warning are always appreciated.

Quoth Tanasi View Post
              Just down the road from MB is BB-55 USS North Carolina. It's a fun tour.
              Ship tours! Yes!

Quoth Tanasi View Post
              While in NC you gotta eat plenty of BBQ.
              i live in Georgia. They don't know how to do BBQ in NC. *runs for cover*
              Save the Ales!

Comment

I'm from Texas. They don't know how to do BBQ in Georgia.

I gotta wonder though, who in the WORLD thought putting mustard in BBQ sauce would be a good idea???
                You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Quoth Kittish View Post
                  I'm from Texas. They don't know how to do BBQ in Georgia.

I gotta wonder though, who in the WORLD thought putting mustard in BBQ sauce would be a good idea???
                  My local BBQ place offers six sauces at the table: Kansas City, Memphis, Bay-B-Q (Maryland), Texas, Tupelo (Mississippi), and Smoky Mountain (West Virginia). Alas, Georgia didn't make their cut. (Of course, that's not the only place in the area, but it's the one I can walk to, and pretty damn good.)

Comment

I like Texas BBQ - Brisket and Hot Links. Yum!

I have a Zen philosophy about BBQ.
                    I is not about eating the best BBQ. It is the Journey to find it,

We will be eating some Carolina BBQ.
                    Save the Ales!

Comment

North Carolina BBQ? Georgia BBQ? Texas BBQ?

The best BBQ is whatever BBQ I happen to be eating at the moment. And I had some last night. Yum!
                      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Y'all are makin me crave some BBQ. *Puts that on next week's menu.*
                        Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

Some places in SC has a mustard based BBQ sauce that I very much enjoy. Upper Alabama or UA has a mayo sauce that is very good on smoked chicken. I like the sweeter thinker sauces more than the tart thin sauces, but to each their own.
                          Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

Working...
                          X