This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Marmalady View Post
    When I was finally able to get up the hill again, I noticed several (a) dented cars and (b) signposts at unusual angles.
    I can believe it. My next-door neighbour is from Poland, and he said that this is the first year he's been scared driving; not because of the snow (because he had it way worse where he used to live) but because of the idiots who didn't know how to drive in it.
    "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

No bread or milk for six days...
      The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

I'm curious, how often does it snow like this there?

Here in my AO of East Tennessee we usually get one or two medium-snows (4 - 6 inches) a year with an occasional heavy snow (8+ inches) every two to three years. Right now it's nearly spring with some days getting up into the 70F's.
        In March of 1993 we had a 20+ inch blizzard. At my home we had 30+ inches and the pool froze over, power out for a week and resulted in my middle son.
        Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

Depends what part of the UK you're in. Up north, Scotland way, it snows frequently in the winter. Down south you usually only get a light dusting which may only settle for a couple of hours before melting, and even then it's not every year. Weather like last week's is a once every few decades event.

In other news, some of the areas where the snow had drifted nearly as high as my car still have snow on the ground, in some cases nearly 2 feet deep, and this with temperatures averaging about 5-7C the last few days!
          "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
            Depends what part of the UK you're in. Up north, Scotland way, it snows frequently in the winter. Down south you usually only get a light dusting which may only settle for a couple of hours before melting, and even then it's not every year. Weather like last week's is a once every few decades event.

In other news, some of the areas where the snow had drifted nearly as high as my car still have snow on the ground, in some cases nearly 2 feet deep, and this with temperatures averaging about 5-7C the last few days!
            Here in 93 I and my wife used our tractors to clear our driveway and piled the snow near our gate. It wasn't until late May before all that snow melted. The city dumped loads and loads in the river until they got in trouble with the state because of the salt and general road crap.
            Most snows here melt the same day except for the lee side.
            My kids love the snow I could do without it.

Comment

Quoth 50 mission cap View Post
              They do that here to, and buy chips and frozen pizza , and Ice cream , you know real useful in a storm and power outage lol
              Well at least with a blizzard it's viable. Ready made freezer just outside.
              I AM the evil bastard!
              A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth Tanasi View Post
                power out for a week and resulted in my middle son.

Sounds like when when had a gas explosion in 1998 in Victoria at the main natural gas plant. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esso_L..._gas_explosion

No gas right at the end of winter. So anyone that had a gas heater was more than a little chilly. No gas for cooking. No gas for hot water systems. No gas for cars. (Gas is different from petrol in Oz.) At our house, we had cold water, no heater and no cooking ability except for the electric kettle and electric frypan.

Nine months later, the maternity departments couldn't keep up.
                A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

Quoth Blue Ginger View Post

Sounds like when when had a gas explosion in 1998 in Victoria at the main natural gas plant. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esso_L..._gas_explosion

No gas right at the end of winter. So anyone that had a gas heater was more than a little chilly. No gas for cooking. No gas for hot water systems. No gas for cars. (Gas is different from petrol in Oz.) At our house, we had cold water, no heater and no cooking ability except for the electric kettle and electric frypan.

Nine months later, the maternity departments couldn't keep up.
                  We call them Blizzard babies. I think birth rate went up around 10%

Comment

And the snow is back...welcome minibeast ��
                    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Working...
                    X