This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Words that make you cringe

So I've been working the B shift recently (which I've dubbed the Needy Guest Parade, though to be fair most of the requests are perfectly reasonable, they just all tend to happen at the same time). It got me thinking about what words or phrases make me cringe at work, and then I started wondering what my lovely CSers would say. So, what do you hate hearing at work, and why? Here's my list (with the admission I'm grouchy today and it really isn't this bad, at least most of the time):

Do you have more Hot Chocolate?: This means I'm going to go have to search the back cupboards for packets so little brats can dump sugar powder all over my coffee station and I'll be cleaning it up.

Where are the Cookies?: Grown adults need to shovel more free sugar and fat into their traps so I will be in the back digging out heavy boxes of frozen dough while people needing to check in are waiting at my desk wondering why nobody is here (said people will then complain to my boss).

I need more pillows: 4 per bed isn't enough for one person so I'll be digging through the laundry trying to find extras I know we don't have. When that doesn't work I'll get to take a room out of order and loose money for the hotel so I can steal that room's pillows (there are more on order, it's just an annoyance for now).

(on the phone): "we checked out last <name of day> and we were in <room number>...": This means they've left something behind (not sucky in itself), so I get to look through lost and found for an hour, and if I don't find it, they're going to call us thieves on TripAdvisor. Gee thanks. Couldn't be YOUR fault you can't keep track of your stuff, and didn't want to use the FREE safe deposit boxes for your valuables, now could it?

Ok, done for now, thanks for letting me vent. Stupid lady parts are turning me into a cast-iron bitch today and I needed to rant.
    Last edited by WishfulSpirit; 03-05-2016, 11:04 PM.
    "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Cookies: Will your boss let you put up a sign "Away from desk serving other guest"?

Pillows: Check with your boss. When there are no spares, does he want you to tell the guest "Sorry, all pillows are currently in use" (pissing off the guest), or take a room out of order to borrow its pillows (potential of losing revenue if there are enough walk-ins that you'd be sold out), and follow his instructions.

Loser on phone: They stayed at your hotel several days ago and are only calling now? How can they be sure WHERE they lost the item. Even if they did lose it at your hotel, it may not have been noticed by housekeeping, and accidentally removed (item on bed when they stripped it goes in the laundry), or found (and stolen) by a subsequent customer.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

The people who say these aren't always sucky, but they generally make my work harder and can lead to them becoming sucky.

"I'll take about this much." *gestures or points to fabric or holds up fabric pinched between fingers* Basically any time a person doesn't tell me an actual number. This could end with them claiming I shorted them, or sold them too much. When I insist on getting a confirmation of how much "okay, so that looks like about a yard, is that right?" they may waffle for an extended period of time.

"I saw this product online..." Enough said.

"...Oh HI, maybe you can help me!!" Imagine that in a super relieved tone, like finding me made them as happy as finding an oasis in a desert. Will probably not know the name or be able to describe what they're looking for. Or they might have a material list 75% of which we don't sell, and they won't accept alternatives because they aren't the exact brand listed.

Um, this last one is kinda mean spirited on my part and I apologize, but it makes me cringe every time.

When a person's number is called and they yell BINGO. I know I should be happy they are cheerful, and it was fun the first thousand times I heard it. Now it's just annoying.
      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

"I know this is the wrong dept but..." Sometimes I'm glad to hear this because it means I can transfer them to someone else but sometimes it means the caller has no idea who they need to talk to and neither do I; and sometimes it means they want something weird or impossible, and they don't want to hear that.

"I want to talk to a manager!" This generally means they're pissed about something, obviously, and the reason I hate to hear it is that it's often hard to get a manager on the phone...they tend to be at meetings pretty often. And a lot of times the caller doesn't want to tell me what it's about, and the managers HATE when you transfer that kind of call. They have no way to know what they're about to be hit with, and can't research the problem before talking to the caller.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
          And a lot of times the caller doesn't want to tell me what it's about, and the managers HATE when you transfer that kind of call.
          Any way of getting a policy imposed that first-line people MUST inform the manager of the nature of the call before transferring, so that if someone won't tell you what it's about they don't get transferred?
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

"It's the principle of the thing!"

That means I'm going to be tortured for the next half-hour over something incredibly stupid. Maybe longer.

(on the phone): "we checked out last <name of day> and we were in <room number>...": This means they've left something behind (not sucky in itself), so I get to look through lost and found for an hour, and if I don't find it, they're going to call us thieves on TripAdvisor. Gee thanks. Couldn't be YOUR fault you can't keep track of your stuff, and didn't want to use the FREE safe deposit boxes for your valuables, now could it?
            The sucky part is that that lowers your rating compared to other hotels. The review itself doesn't hurt much... if I read that I'd ask, 'why didn't you use the safe? Dumbass.'

Comment

Not phrases as such, but particular responses to stimuli:
              - Acting as if the countrywide rail network has ceased to function forever more, just because one train has been diverted/cancelled/isn't even meant to come this way today;
              - Asking me a dozen alternate routes when I've already shown you that the quickest route is the one I first suggested;
              - Assuming we're closed if we don't stare straight at you when you show no intention of approaching, or that we're open despite the numerous signs to the contrary.
              This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
              I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

"Can I get my pictures now?" and "I only have one (two or three)." If I have nothing else going on that's not a problem but...if it's busy, no. Your order is really no more important to me than the five that have to get done before yours. Especially during any holiday.
                I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

"The registers arn't working correctly, can you see if you can fix it?"
                  This will lead to the AM nearly shit herself as i reach for the sledgehammer.

Comment

At the school: "I don't have to listen to you." Umm sunshine, you see that sign over there on the wall? The one that says lunchroom rules? You do have to listen to me.

Quilts: "It's how much?! Why?" Let's see. One of a kind art that can take months to make and has expensive materials in it. I have no clue why it would be hundreds of dollars.
                    https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Kalanah: do you keep a time count on your quilts? I do for my art because I like to know, but if I sold my pieces being able to say "that necklace is a 16 hour piece" might be useful. The non-crafting public has no idea how long it takes to make something, a little education can go a long way.
                      "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

"I hope it will fit!"

Means I'll see fifteen clowns pile out of the SC's vehicle before I fit whatever big & bulky item they just bought into it.
                        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                          Any way of getting a policy imposed that first-line people MUST inform the manager of the nature of the call before transferring, so that if someone won't tell you what it's about they don't get transferred?
                          It kind of already is, in that the managers do expect us to try to find out what's going on first; but if the customer insists, their policy is to take the call rather than make it look like no one will deal with the problem. I can use my judgement, somewhat; if I'm pretty sure it's a nutcase I will tell them the managers are not available and I can take a message (and I will).
                          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

For smaller stuff I keep track of hours, for quilts it's days/weeks/months.

I had a small show yesterday and a lady asked me how much it would be for a king size custom quilt. I told her they started at $750 and went up. She said "Seven hundred fifty?" I said "Yes ma'am, because it's at least 3 months of work."
                            https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

"You're really gonna hate me, but..." Usually means they either have a shit ton of change (usually pennies, nickels and dimes) or a $100 bill that's going to clean my drawer out.

"I want one winning lottery ticket." This customer is usually joking, but it's not funny. It never has been, and it never will be. If you or anyone you know makes this joke... STOP. Just stop.

"I need a pack of smokes/ a can of chew" and they expect me to just know what kind. Most of the time, being at a small store with mostly repeat customers, I do. Sometimes, though, I get someone whose brand I don't know. Eye rolls ensue when I ask for specifics.
                              "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Working...
                              X