X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishy?

So two things, though unrelated.

1. Why do a lot of jobs ask for a photo before the interview? I could see why if it were an acting or modeling gig, but I saw one for a waitress. Fishy or normal? Just wondering.

2. In my current job, they offer lots of benefits, but I only want health insurance. But they said that I have to enroll in the others: life, 401k, disability. All of these need beneficiaries and I don't have any. My job says that I can quit it after, but it doesn't make any sense to enroll if you don't want to. So why??? It seems fishy to me.

Can't reason with the unreasonable.
    The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

1. Fishy-ish. They could use the pic to discriminate. Of course, anyone not sending a pic automatically gets removed from the list, but would you really want to work at such a place?

2. Because bureaucrats rule the world. Someone somewhere said "that's the way it is" and by god, that's how they're going to do it. (See also: You're measuring the wrong thing. )
    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
    OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
    she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
    Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

1) Fishy. Will you really be waitressing or will you be stripping?
      2) That's how it has been every place I've worked. If they don't cost you extra, why not take them? You can name anyone as the beneficiary for life insurance, family, friend or even a charity. Pick anyone. You can change it later.

Comment

Part of the reason they force you to sign up is people think to themselves, "I'll sign up later after I've though about it". And then don't, only to find out that when they want to use the benefit it isn't there. And in many cases this sort of thing can be can't be caught-up retroactively.
        There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

1) I wouldn't call it fishy as much as scuzzy. They might as well be saying 'no fat chicks and ugly dudes.' Unless it's Hooters. If you have a theme restaurant built on hot chicks, well, okay then.

2) Sounds like a package deal which is annoying. My work has something similar but it's not that expensive.

Comment

Quoth Shyla View Post
            1)
            2) That's how it has been every place I've worked. If they don't cost you extra, why not take them? You can name anyone as the beneficiary for life insurance, family, friend or even a charity. Pick anyone. You can change it later.
            Ooh I didn't know that you could choose a charity, thanks! I chosen the American Cancer Society, I've heard good things about them...Hopefully they're not one of those fake ones. :\
            And I've seen yet another ad asking for a photo...this time for housekeeping! Fishy! >.>
            Can't reason with the unreasonable.
            The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

Quoth HotelMinion View Post
              Ooh I didn't know that you could choose a charity, thanks! I chosen the American Cancer Society, I've heard good things about them...Hopefully they're not one of those fake ones. :\
              And I've seen yet another ad asking for a photo...this time for housekeeping! Fishy! >.>
              Here in the UK its not uncommon to be asked for a photo to go with your job application - that way the company can make sure that the person who comes to the interview and then subsequently hired is in fact one and the same person - there have been stories of job applicants sending a "stooge" in their place to the interview rather than going themselves...

Comment

It could be that you have to enroll or deny the benefits individually. I know each year during our open enrollment, I have to intentionally deny enrollment in all that I don't want before they will accept my enrollment of the ones I do want. Yours could be similar. Ask a couple more questions to be sure.

Comment

Working...
                X