Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Social Worker: Still Amazing, No Longer Unemployed!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Social Worker: Still Amazing, No Longer Unemployed!

So, that happened. I got a job.

Where I live there is Urban County, Suburban County, and a great many rural counties of varying degrees of middling. If you want to work with the big league, big-time problems and real depravity, you work in Urban County... except that in Urban County you must bring your A game, they're rather full of themselves, and they never tire of telling you what tough, smart, streetwise badasses they are. You could, of course, also apply in Suburban County but they know they're desirable as well and that means they can demand big degrees for even the smallest job positions, just like Urban County can -- they're just less of a dick about it.

And then you have the rural counties. Yes, there are pockets of wealth here and there, and yes, as people are pushed out of Urban County by the stratospheric price of housing they're forging new paths out into the rural counties. However, this is still Appalachia and despite the new golf course, and despite the subdivision with estates so large and luxurious that the neighborhood has its own helipad, once you get beyond those moneyed enclaves you're still in a region whose hills and hollers resound with the dulcet tones of the banjo and talk of purty mouths.

After exactly zero success in Urban County and Suburban County, and after having been rejected by fifteen different social services agencies, I finally bit the bullet and applied in a rural county we shall call Dark Corner County. I was hired in the child protective services division and I start work in another couple of weeks.

Go me.

Thing is though, I'm full of questions. I live in Urban County and did my internship in Suburban County. I saw terrible things and I heard them justified with excuses that actually do have something of a sick logic to them if you really sit back and think about it. I also found out that you would not believe how much incest there is going on out there. That being said, Dark Corner County, in its entirety, has roughly the same population as the county seat of Suburban County and its immediate surrounding neighborhoods and towns. There are four times as many people living in my city in Urban County, by itself, than there are living in Dark Corner County. With that the case, just how much mayhem can they really get into over there? And is the mayhem confined to the same handful of ne'er-do-well families that cycle in and out of the office year after year?

On the other hand, it was edifying to learn that the good folk of the Dark Corner County Department of Social Services absolutely loathe those of the Urban County Department of Social Services and feel that Urban County DSS is comprised entirely of arrogant twats. There is also no love lost between Dark Corner and Urban on the issue of how Urban County refuses to allow Dark Corner County to utilize their child advocacy center despite the fact that it's by far the closest to Dark Corner, which does not have its own.

Then there's the driving! I will have to drive nearly forty minutes one way to reach my new job, which is a terrifying prospect for me because I hate and fear driving. My father was a mechanic, but the only thing he ever taught me about cars is that they are the most fragile mechanisms on the face of the earth and that they explode at the slightest touch. But the drive over there is not all... my job could involve a great deal of travel indeed, because once a child is removed from a home a county can legally place that child in foster care anywhere in the state. If they got such a bee in their governmental bonnet, they could place a child an eight hour drive away on the other side of the state if they so desired, or if it was deemed feasible to keep that child safely away from a dangerous parent.

So, that happened. I got a new job. And I wonder, what with the demographics of Dark Corner County, what it will really be like. And I wonder how I'll survive the driving.
    Last edited by Antisocial_Worker; 08-22-2016, 04:31 AM.
    Drive it like it's a county car.

Congratulations on the job!

Re the driving - it will get better as you get used to it.

Comment

Congratulations!

With regards to the driving, you'll find it easier after a while; before I moved to where I live now, I'd only driven outside of my town about a dozen times in 10 years. Since we've moved I now commute to the next town daily, and I think nothing of jumping in the car and driving half-way across the country for a day out.

Anyway, who knows, you may decide you really like Dark Corner County and end up moving closer.
      "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

You've got a job now. That's a big step. Play it out for a little while and see how you like it.
        Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

I used to have long drives, too - now they just annoy me Hell, I used to be nervous as hell about going on the interstate at all...but, once I got used to it, I even find it boring on long trips. Give it time.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I hope you got a good meth-it of care. I'll take 40min of back road commute over 40 min of interstate.
            AkaiKitsune
            Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Eh, driving very quickly turns into just a muscle memory thing. There's not a year that has gone by the I don't put 30k per annum on my daily driver since I started driving in the 90s. But I've always lived in very rural areas. Even now my commute is a 50 mile one way hell through crawly (better than project fortify that Raleigh pushes). You'll eventually get used to it.
              But the paint on me is beginning to dry
              And it's not what I wanted to be
              The weight on me
              Is Hanging on to a weary angel - Sister Hazel

Comment

Quoth Rosco the Iroc View Post
                I hope you got a good meth-it of care. I'll take 40min of back road commute over 40 min of interstate.
                Unfortunately it's only forty minutes if I take the Interstate, and if there aren't any wrecks on the Interstate. If I were to take the back roads, it would be an hour easy.

Comment

My commute isn't really that bad, all things considered, but I make the time go by faster even so by listening to audio books on my phone, over my car's stereo. (Well, audio books or radio plays.)
                  PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Congratulations! And you'll get used to the driving...

Comment

on the new job! I hope it's everything you wanted. Everyone is right, you will get used to driving the more you do it. Maybe there'll be some nice scenery on the drive.
                      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                      My LiveJournal
                      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                        Maybe there'll be some nice scenery on the drive.
                        Dark Corner County is kind of used to being the whipping boy of my metro area, and it's used to losing people rather than gaining them when it comes to jobs. The place is the butt of all kinds of jokes. People commute from Dark Corner to Urban to work, but almost nobody commutes the other way. When I was interviewing they were actually a little suspicious as to why I wanted to buck the trend, living as I do in Urban County.

I was able to cite the scenery as one of the reasons. We're talking serious mountain scenery here, much of it unspoiled. Granted, it's the kind of place where people often wander off and are never found, but so long as you have sense enough to stay put it's utterly lovely.

Comment

Congrats on the job! You'll get better with the driving. Cars aren't that fragile most of the time. Buy a AAA membership. I have AAA Plus so they have to take me home within 100 miles. Good luck!

Comment

You will get used to the driving.

My commute for 16 years was an hour, though Late Husband was with me as we worked within a few miles of one another. Now it's 25 to 40 minutes, depending on traffic and construction.

Cars are not that delicate. My Mom and I discussed this once: how, back in the fifties, it wasn't unusual to buy a new car every three or four years. Now they routinely last 10, 12 years or more. Once you have a common type of car ( a Honda Civic. a Tercel) repairs are not that expensive. Ask around for a good mechanic. Mine was a man who owned his own shop, and would tell me, "You're going to need to replace your rear brakes soon." Actually, the dealership probably would, too.

Best wishes. Dealing with these sorts of human problems would have me crying into a beer at night.

Comment

Quoth Antisocial_Worker View Post
                              However, this is still Appalachia (snip) I also found out that you would not believe how much incest there is going on out there.
                              Does this mean the stereotype is based on fact?

Quoth Antisocial_Worker View Post
                              But the drive over there is not all... my job could involve a great deal of travel indeed, because once a child is removed from a home a county can legally place that child in foster care anywhere in the state.
                              This is something to find out about, since my understanding is that it would involve driving ON THE JOB (rather than just a long commute). Do they provide the vehicle for this, or would you be expected to use your own car? If you're expected to use your own car, do you get reimbursement for mileage? You'd also need to get a different (read: more expensive) class of insurance that covers the use of your car on the job. There are a number of pizza drivers on here - they'd know more about the details than I do.
                              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X