This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whelp I'm unemployed

It's been a long time coming but today things came to a head. I've been struggling with my ADHD at work (8 hours with no breaks and scheduling without regard to proper sleep didn't help) and today Bossman called me into his office to discuss my ADA paperwork (apparently I have to invoke federal law to get this guy to realize that scheduling a start time of 7am one day and 3pm another day the same week is a bad idea).

So, my paperwork was in my handwriting because the shrink TOLD me to fill out what I needed, we'd discuss it, and she'd sign it. Apparently this means I "forged" the documents. He was going to suspend me and "investigate" with the benefits department (investigate what, exactly, they have the exact same paperwork he does).

I've spent a whole year being starved and sleep deprived. I had to call OSHA to get a meal break, I got written up for missing work for I was calling in whilst vomiting by the side of the road (having fled my bus to avoid making a mess). I've listened to countless lectures about not being empathetic to guest needs, and then punished for "not considering hotel costs" when I was stupid enough to believe management meant it when they said we were "empowered to make decisions to take care of the people who stay with us."

I'll admit it. I snapped. I walked out.

Yes, I know I shouldn't have done that. Yes it probably would have been resolved if he'd talked to my shrink (but having been on the business end of abuse by mental health professionals I can't fully trust them not to lie if the way we did the paperwork WAS actually wrong from a legal standpoint, or to understand that they can talk to my boss if I say they can). Yes I should have started looking and then quit when I had something else lined up. But I just couldn't do it anymore.

We're ok financially for now. We have the rent for this month in the bank and then some (paying it tomorrow when the office is open), I'm owed 40 hours of vacation (which I am legally entitled to under my state's labor laws), and I have another full check coming. I've been on HCareers and found lots of jobs I'm qualified for, and some of them even have a shorter commute.

I'll miss some of my coworkers, and quitting may have been stupid but I am SO relieved I never have to go back there.
    "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

*hugs*. Sometimes enough is enough. May your next job be much better.
    Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

Quoth WishfulSpirit View Post
      So, my paperwork was in my handwriting because the shrink TOLD me to fill out what I needed, we'd discuss it, and she'd sign it. Apparently this means I "forged" the documents. He was going to suspend me and "investigate" with the benefits department (investigate what, exactly, they have the exact same paperwork he does).

I've spent a whole year being starved and sleep deprived. I had to call OSHA to get a meal break, I got written up for missing work for I was calling in whilst vomiting by the side of the road (having fled my bus to avoid making a mess). I've listened to countless lectures about not being empathetic to guest needs, and then punished for "not considering hotel costs" when I was stupid enough to believe management meant it when they said we were "empowered to make decisions to take care of the people who stay with us."
      You may want to file a love note with whatever government agency handles "hostile workplace" complaints. Maybe consult a lawyer, too. OSHA and the ADA might have a thing or two to say.
      Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
      OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
      she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
      Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Quoth Deserted View Post
        You may want to file a love note with whatever government agency handles "hostile workplace" complaints. Maybe consult a lawyer, too. OSHA and the ADA might have a thing or two to say.
        My thought exactly. Being wrongly suspended for forging ADA papers must be breaking some rules.

Comment

I can report the ongoing violation of some labor laws but the ADA stuff is a no-go. I was an idiot and didn't keep good enough records, one of many ADHD screw-ups at work. There was no way I could prove his accusations were false. It was quit or get fired with a huge black mark on my record.

I've spent the weekend sending out applications and am doing some more today. Having TiPPS and CPR training should help (I hope) but it isn't a great day. Many of my coworkers were good friends, including the new AGM, whom I will probably never talk to again. Though one of my fellow Grunts is coming over tomorrow to do crafting!
          "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

What a tough decision. I'm glad you decided in favor of your health. I hope you find another job soon. I have a feeling your ADA paperwork wasn't going to help with this job.

Future hint: I make a copy of the official paperwork, fill it out with how I think it should go, and then my doc and I go over it together while the doc fills in the official paper. The doc can rephrase a few things in doctor jargon.

Comment

Next job I'm going to document EVERYTHING from clock in and out times to making a copy of each and every email. Please pray / send good vibes that I get a new job soon, we have a short window where we won't be royally screwed. Also have some ebay posts up. Is there a rule about promoting them here?

Comment

Sometimes you need to do what is best for your own mental and physical health. I did the same thing a few weeks ago and it was the best thing that I could have done in my situation.

I have fingers crossed that you will move onto better things, with better bosses and hours.
                A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

Much sympathies. Hope the next job comes quickly.
                  Life's too short to drink cheap beer

Comment

Interview tomorrow! Would be a 15 min commute instead of the hour at the last job.

Comment

You are NOT stupid. It was NOT a stupid decision. That job was going to ruin your health and they WERE violating the law, which it should not be up to you to fix.

Take care of yourself! You'll find something else, where you're treated better. Good luck!
                      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

File for unemployment ASAP. Yes, I know you walked out, but I think you have a good case anyway for proving you left because you were basically forced out, not "voluntarily." And even if you think you don't have a case, I would talk to a labor attorney and let THEM decide that. You may have more of a case than you think. It sounds like he was basically retaliating for you contacting OSHA and filing ADA paperwork. As someone who has been let go from a job basically for having a federally protected disability despite the law, the only way employers get away with ignoring the law is when we LET them. Fighting back and winning your case is a way to make sure the NEXT guy gets treated more fairly if only because the company doesn't want to pay another large fine and settlement.

Comment

I agree. I have an interview today, and if I get the job I won't be filing for unemployment, but I am going to be filing a demand for unpaid wages. In my state, if you're forced to work through a break, the employer has to pay you more for it. For example, if an employee was supposed to get a 10 minute break and didn't, the employer has to pay that employee as if she was there 10 minutes beyond what she was. I'm going to file an official demand for that pay (for over a year of employment with no rest breaks ever, it's over $900) and if they don't pony up, I'm going to get DOL and maybe an attorney involved.

Comment

Working...
                          X