This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impatient customer

This incident happened yesterday at work.

A customer comes to my line with a cart full of groceries. She gives me a bag of frozen food that she did not want.

So I make an intercom call for someone to take it back to the frozen food aisle. The location I work at does not want any perishable items left at your station for too long.

But the customer did not want me to do that. I told her that someone has to take it back.

She told me that she was in a hurry and to start scanning her groceries.

So one of the Assistant Managers came by and took it back. He did not bother looking at her or saying anything to her.

When I gave her receipt to her, the look on her face was priceless.

If she's in that much of a hurry, why the hell is she at your register with a full cart of groceries?
    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
    OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
    she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
    Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

I find that people who routinely spend two hours making groceries will often suddenly be in a big hurry once they get up to the registers.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Deserted View Post
        If she's in that much of a hurry, why the hell is she at your register with a full cart of groceries?
        If she didn't act like that, she wouldn't be much of an SC, now would she?
        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Its been a while since I used an intercom system, but I'm willing to bet that your SC spent much more time bitching about you making the call than it took you to do it.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
            I find that people who routinely spend two hours making groceries will often suddenly be in a big hurry once they get up to the registers.
            Isn't this the truth. I've also noticed that a lot of them are also the same people who block an entire section of the shelves for extended periods of time to painstakingly ponder what to purchase. They can take 15 minutes to decide if they want vanilla bean or French vanilla ice-cream but when it comes to check-out they are suddenly in a mad rush.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
              I don't get why they decide to be in a big hurry when they get to the registers. I had one man complain at me one day that we had taken too long to serve him, and that he had to get to a meeting and that he was already running late.

WHY would you go do a big shop when you have to get to a meeting ...

--

I just think they make up that they are in a hurry in the hopes of getting served quicker.

Comment

I don't understand why people hand things that they don't want to the cashier. Why did they put it in their cart in the first place? The only scenario that comes to mind is they found something they want more, such as this brand of frozen vegetables vs. that brand. But in that case, why not just take the extra 10 seconds to put the first item back where they found it? Then the SC in the OP wouldn't have had to wait for snugglegirl05 to make the intercom call.
                "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                -Mira Furlan

Comment

Quoth Ghel View Post
                  I don't understand why people hand things that they don't want to the cashier.
                  This is infinitely preferable to those horrible customers who just shove what they don't want in the magazine rack. Especially frozen items.

Comment

MJ - Or, say, raw steaks. Behind the cereal boxes is a popular place. As in, actually taking the time to HIDE the items there...

I just think they make up that they are in a hurry in the hopes of getting served quicker.
                    Indeed. Cursetomers will make up all sorts of nonsense in the hopes that they will get served before, and faster than, everybody else.
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
                      This is infinitely preferable to those horrible customers who just shove what they don't want in the magazine rack. Especially frozen items.
                      or just put them back on whatever shelf they happen to be next to.
                      "great... now there's a leaky package of rancid meat sitting on top of the baby formula"

Comment

Quoth roxtar View Post
                        or just put them back on whatever shelf they happen to be next to.
                        "great... now there's a leaky package of rancid meat sitting on top of the baby formula"
                        Or the 20 lb bag of ice cubes left on top of the bags of dog food. Luckily we caught it in time, before they even started to melt.

Comment

Quoth Ghel View Post
                          I don't understand why people hand things that they don't want to the cashier. Why did they put it in their cart in the first place? The only scenario that comes to mind is they found something they want more, such as this brand of frozen vegetables vs. that brand. But in that case, why not just take the extra 10 seconds to put the first item back where they found it? Then the SC in the OP wouldn't have had to wait for snugglegirl05 to make the intercom call.
                          Sometimes a customer may be on a budget, and after getting to the till, may have done the calculations in their head and realized they can't afford to get something. In that case, they're in line at the register already, so they give it to the cashier so it can be put back.

Or they genuinely change their minds on purchasing it when they get to the till.

In these cases, taking the item back is not always just "an extra 10 seconds," but could involve going all the way back to the other side of the store, and that's supposing that the customer remembers where the item was on the shelf. So why not give it to the employee, who might know better than them where it goes?
                          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

As a former register jockey, I gotta agree with J2K -- in that situation, I would MUCH rather have an unwanted item handed to me than not. Best case scenario short of that is the customer leaving it on top of the Coke cooler just out of my reach. Worst case is we find a $20 pack of steaks on the cereal aisle...by smell...a week later.

Comment

Working...
                            X