This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Smapti View Post
    Once, in my past life as a manager at Jack in the Box, I had a guy on the graveyard shift pull the "I'm not moving my car until X happens" schtick on me. Specifically, he wanted me to give him a very large order, for free, that he claimed we'd screwed up earlier that night, even though none of us remembered seeing him and there wasn't anything resembling his order in the computer.

I called the cops on him.

He ended up getting arrested for DUI and driving with a suspended license. The people who had to sit in line behind him for 15 minutes got free sodas and cheesecakes. He got nothing.
    I don't understand. If you're driving drunk AND on a suspended license, why would you do something that guarantees a date with the cops??
    I really don't understand people. Really don't.

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
      Now just a moment, if the shift manager was a jerk or at fault, I'm hoping the OP would mention this.
      GM was a jerk: "The next day she came in and yelled at me for a solid 20 minutes that it wasn't her job to take care of this store on her off days, and she didn't appreciate the "passive aggressive" digs at her leadership capabilities, even though all we were doing with the letter was covering our asses. And everyone signed, not just me. Also, as a GM, it is absolutely her job to help in a situation like that, and if she were any good at scheduling, none of it would have ever happened in the first place."

MOD failed: "Did I mention that while I was the one handling customer complaints and communications with the GM and her boss, including being the one to get chewed out for the letter everyone on the shift signed and everything else that went wrong that night, I'm not even a manager? The actual manager of the night got off without so much as a stern finger wag."

Comment

Quoth ladyjaneinmd View Post
        I don't understand. If you're driving drunk AND on a suspended license, why would you do something that guarantees a date with the cops??
        Well, if someone's driving on a suspended licence, that's an indication that they don't make the best choices. He was a sucky customer, which means he probably has the standard SC belief that "these peons wouldn't DARE call the cops on a CUSTOMER!" Then add being drunk for extra "hold my beer and watch me do this REALLY STUPID THING" impetus.

Smapti, may I say that you rock for having been a manager with a spine?

Comment

Now just a moment, if the shift manager was a jerk or at fault, I'm hoping the OP would mention this. My guess? The shift manager is an hourly glorified peon who makes a few cents more an hour, puts up with crap and has virtually no authority. Otherwise, I'd expect the manager to call people in, rather than hoping and wishing the GM would.
          Technically our shift managers are supposed to have the authority to call people in, but we've been having issues with overtime, so now all call ins have to be approved by the GM.

And as for her refusing to handle the customers, that was a suck on her part--She wouldn't handle customers because she said she wouldn't be able to keep a cool head (a requirement of being a shift lead, if I'm not wrong?) For calling the GM, she wouldn't because she said it would be a waste of her time. Turns out she was right, of course.

Comment

You know, Safire, if it wasn't for the fact that you work at a taco place, and I work at a roast beef place, I'd swear we had the same manager(s).
            Unseen but seeing
            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
            3rd shift needs love, too
            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth ladyjaneinmd View Post
              You understand smart people, jane. Stupid ones are beyond comprehension.
              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
              -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
                You understand smart people, jane. Stupid ones are beyond comprehension.
                Fortunately, not beyond apprehension.
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

my GM and assistant manager (both of whom were salary and paid a lot more than me) *never* worked evenings or overnights. The GM would rather the store close than be forced to come in.
                  At both game store and daddy jim's pizza, working a minimum of three closing shifts a week (including one weekend day) were part of the job requierments for salaried managers o_O
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Oh my God, and I thought my retail job had stressful nights! And they say fast food workers shouldn't be paid more...SMH. People are absolutely disgusting. Imagine calling a worker a c*nt over a taco misunderstanding.

Comment

I know an old guy who says that he was never paid $15/hour even when he was working in electronics, so fast food workers certainly don't deserve it. I pointed out that, according to him, he worked in electronics in the late 1960s and early 1970s - when virtually no one who wasn't a CEO made $15/hour and my parents' house payment, with mortgage insurance, was less than $210/month. He's one of these who thinks that people who work in fast food are just there to pick up a few bucks, not actually trying to earn a living or support a family.

Comment

Working...
                      X