This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very Sad News

My mom and dad adopted an adult black lab, several years ago, and she was in bad condition. Overweight and had been caged up. They took her in, and named her Pickles. Mom started training her, and Pickles became a service dog, and has been an excellent dog.

After several years, my dad was diagnosed with metastatic cancer, which was January 2015. He died 3 weeks later, on February 12. Pickles was there with him and with my mom. She lay next to his hospital bed while he was in hospice at home. She lay her head on his shoulders and mourned his death.

Shortly after my dad’s funeral, mom adopted a puppy; a chocolate lab that she named Olive. Olive abd Pickles have been playmates ever since.

Now, Pickles is very sick. She’s got cancer herself, and her kidneys are failing. We estimate that she is probably around 16 years old now. Mom said she stopped eating two days ago, and has stopped drinking. She can’t get up stairs anymore and when she falls down, which is often now, she can’t get up on her own.

Mom just called me and told me that she doesn’t think Pickles will make it through the night, but that if she does, she will have to be brought to the vet to be put down tomorrow.

This is going to be really hard. Not just for me and mom, but Olive too. We are going to try to help her through her own grieving process.

Eventually, mom and Olive will be moving in with me, and Olive will become one of the pack I have. I’ve got three dogs and two cats, who all get along. We’ve already started scent swapping. So we’ve got a sad day ahead of us tomorrow.

It's heartbreaking, losing a fur-love. Deepest sympathies.

Comment

I am so, so sorry! It's never easy to do, but you will be doing what's right for Pickles so that she doesn't suffer pain or weakness ever again. Your mom did a wonderful thing by taking Pickles in and giving her a loving home. Always remember that!

Give Olive extra love and attention for a while, she will need you. Blessed be!
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Well she survived that night, but today is the day that she’s getting put down. My mom just called to tell me that she has a vet coming to do it, so I’m on my way to her. Never has 25 miles seemed so far.

Comment

My sympathies and condolences.

Comment

Working...
          X