This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General question on tax return time frames

Hello, everyone. I quit a job in Sept. 2017 received a notice in January 2018 that I had received a distribution of my pension fund. The tax reporting year listed is 2018. I am right now in the process of having it rolled into an IRA.

So for tax return purposes am I to report it for 2018? I would assume at the end of this year I will receive some kind of form to use when I file in spring of 2019. Am I correct on that?
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Drop taxguykarl a PM.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

This is his busy season so I didn't want to bother him. I thought someone else might have experienced this.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Time of the transaction. If it occurred in 2018, it will be in your 2018 filing.

If you rolled it into a classic IRA (not Roth), and you did it properly (you never touched the money), then you will have no tax obligation.

I'm sure Karl will be by shorty and correct me.
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Working...
        X