This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fashion Trends You Love/Hate

Used to, I was not at all interested in fashion. This was mainly because I worked nights in a factory where, no matter how hard you try, you just can't accessorize steel-toed boots -- and when you sleep during the day you're never out where you can see what people are wearing. However, ever since I quit my job to go back to school, I'm surrounded by some 8,000 fellow students all wearing the very latest styles. I've realized there are some things other people are wearing that I really enjoy seeing, and other things I really don't. And here they are...

Let's start on a positive note. Here are the things I think look great:

1 -- fashion scarves/chunky necklaces -- Unfortunately, modern life affords only very rare opportunities to really decorate yourself and not look like an absolute asshole. However, with the advent of the chunky necklace and the fashion scarf, you can really show off a burst of personality without looking like a douchebag. Ladies look awesome in chunky necklaces, and men and women both look great wearing interesting scarves.

2 -- houndstooth -- Seems a very popular look for ladies' coats and skirts this year. Adds a touch of jet age glamor, and I like seeing it.

3 -- Betty Page bangs -- See above. Just old-fashioned enough to look retro, without looking silly.

On a more negative note, here are things that look awful:

1 -- sagging pants -- Let me first say that there is nothing I enjoy more than a black man's ass, and I'm thrilled that so many young, good-looking black men (and more than a few white ones) want to show me their asses. However, I find that all this does is shake the bottle, so to speak, and I've never been a bottle shaker. I prefer to pop the cork, and so I find it very frustrating to see all this ass walking around, guarded from the world by only a thin layer or two of boxer shorts. But then you have to consider the type of guy who walks around with his ass to the world. Sagging pants tend to belong to a very specific demographic, and after giving it some thought, I finally realized what sagging pants are all about: It's much easier to sag one's pants than it is to go to the trouble of wearing, wherever you go, a shoulder-mounted flashing neon sign that reads "DIPSHIT." I've concluded this because I can't see any good reason to waddle around the way you have to when your pants are halfway down your thighs.

2 -- skinny jeans -- Much in the same vein, literally, as sagging pants, I've found I'm not at all fond of the Hipster Deep-Vein Thrombosis Do-It-Yourself Kit. I would, however, love to conduct a scientific experiment wherein I took one of the pants-saggers and put them in skinny jeans. Why? Because I've noticed that no matter how perfectly-sculpted your ass may be, when you put on a pair of skinny jeans their space-age technology immediately gives you the deflated-whooppee-cushion ass of an old man who used to be very fat but is no longer. No one escapes. Skinny jeans exist to give the most unflattering silhouette possible to your lower body, and like I said, it doesn't matter how nice your ass is -- skinny jeans can de-assify anyone.

3 -- Ugg boots -- Thankfully this trend has not yet spread to men, but I expect it to any time. It's the skinny jeans equivalent for a woman's feet. It doesn't matter how lovely your feet or how shapely your ankles -- put on a pair of these and instantly you have badly-drawn cartoon character paws. It's very sad.

4 -- Pajamas in public -- especially if they're flannel. Bonus points if they're emblazoned with a licensed cartoon character such as Hello Kitty. Extra bonus points if you're a guy wearing Hello Kitty pajama bottoms in math class.

All in all, it's not that fine a line to walk between looking like a productive human being, and looking like the college students of Wal-Mart. I prefer the former to the latter.
    Drive it like it's a county car.

My fashion trends I love:

-Colour blocking. Done right, it works beautifully.
    -Maxi length skirts/dresses: fits nearly every body type and can flatter most.

Fashion trends I hate:

-Jeggings. Complete with spray-on seams and buttoning. W.T.F.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Hm, I like the classics - the 'little black dress' which does NOT translate into miniskirts but instead means a basic simple black dress, no major frills or decorations on it. Best one I have seen is this one - an excellent platform to add shrugs/shawls and interesting jewelry. Not so short that it will flash your attributes to the world, and could even go down to a bit longer. For men, the basic suit in charcoal grey with a subtle pinstripe that can be most any moderate single or double breasted as body type demands. Can have personalization in accessories just like the little black dress.

What I dislike - pretty much any outfit that ends up on the People of Walmart or Poorly Dressed.
      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
        Hm, I like the classics - the 'little black dress' which does NOT translate into miniskirts but instead means a basic simple black dress, no major frills or decorations on it.
        I have no idea if mine still fits, but I do have a LBD somewhere that fits that category. Basic v-neck dress with a tie back, but I always add extra to it by adding a length of ribbon around the waist for colour. It tends to go "pop" and goes down to around my knees.

Another trend that I like is skirts that actually flow. I have a skirt that in a past life may have been a dancer skirt: it gives that feel. But whenever I walk around campus, I like the feel that I get: I feel like I'm gliding
        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth Antisocial_Worker View Post

2 -- skinny jeans -- Much in the same vein, literally, as sagging pants, I've found I'm not at all fond of the Hipster Deep-Vein Thrombosis Do-It-Yourself Kit. I would, however, love to conduct a scientific experiment wherein I took one of the pants-saggers and put them in skinny jeans. Why? Because I've noticed that no matter how perfectly-sculpted your ass may be, when you put on a pair of skinny jeans their space-age technology immediately gives you the deflated-whooppee-cushion ass of an old man who used to be very fat but is no longer. No one escapes. Skinny jeans exist to give the most unflattering silhouette possible to your lower body, and like I said, it doesn't matter how nice your ass is -- skinny jeans can de-assify anyone.

3 -- Ugg boots -- Thankfully this trend has not yet spread to men, but I expect it to any time. It's the skinny jeans equivalent for a woman's feet. It doesn't matter how lovely your feet or how shapely your ankles -- put on a pair of these and instantly you have badly-drawn cartoon character paws. It's very sad.

4 -- Pajamas in public -- especially if they're flannel. Bonus points if they're emblazoned with a licensed cartoon character such as Hello Kitty. Extra bonus points if you're a guy wearing Hello Kitty pajama bottoms in math class.
          1. Worst of all is, thanks to the current trend of skinny jeans, which has gone on for way too long already, it's hard for me to find nice bootcut jeans and pants. Nobody makes them anymore. At least not in the quantities and washes they used to.

Even better are skinny jeans and pants for women that come in fetching shades of puke gold, pink, bright green, red, and various prints.

2. You're going to laugh at me, but I own a pair of Ugg boots. When it gets to be -15 degrees outside and windy, they're the only shoes I can wear. They're super-toasty. Otherwise the wind just whips through any other shoes and freezes my feet.

What's really great, though, are the vapid chicks who wear Ugg boots with short shorts and miniskirts in the heat of summer.

3. I am to assume you've actually seen a guy wearing Hello Kitty pajamas to class?
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Love:

Vintage Looks. I'm happy the 50s-70's vintage looks are back. So classy!

Maxi dresses and skirts. Very flowy, light and universally figure flattering.

Hate:

Skinny Jeans. They don't look good on you unless you're stick skinny.

Horn Rimmed glasses. They look ugly and dorky.
            I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
            Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
            Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

...I have Hello Kitty pajamas. And a robe. I don't wear them in public though. I have my Hello Kitty t-shirts, shoes and messenger bag for that.

I too loathe skinny jeans, because if you have even an ounce of body fat they make you look awful. It's like Muffin Top City.

I also hate that the 1980's is apparently coming back with off-the-shoulder shirts and hoop earrings, all in horrifying neon colors.

I always disliked those 'shrug' things too. I don't know why, because I'm fine with arm warmers. I don't think they're fasionable anymore though. Same with those stupid tiny backpacks.

I'm usually fine with whatever people want to wear but those really annoy me.
              https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Absolutely hate the sagging pants. It makes the guy look like an idiot. Bah.

I also hate the "10 year old kid" look on adults: Huge baggy shorts, huge baggy tee or henley, baseball cap and sneakers. Rather see a guy wearing jeans or pants that actually fit, with a nice shirt (and NO baseball cap).

Hate the low-cut, skintight pants on women. Very rarely do I see anyone with the figure to carry it off, but even then, ladies, how about keeping a little sense of mystery? Do we really need to see your crack? No, we don't!!!

Stuff I like: pearls, especially the larger ones; pretty scarves; tunics over leggings (few people seem to realize that leggings are intended to be worn with a longer top, so the butt is covered!), chain necklaces (especially brass or gunmetal-colored ones); long, lacy blouses with nice jeans and boots--I love the contrast.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                  3. I am to assume you've actually seen a guy wearing Hello Kitty pajamas to class?
                  You would be correct. It's the same class that also boasts a ninny who is inordinately fond of his toboggan with the multicolored pompom at the top.

Comment

I have to disagree with you all on the skinny jeans thing - I love them. I'm not model-thin, but I am short, and I hate the way that baggier cuts of jeans look on me.

Comment

If you're petite - short, and built small - skinny jeans can be the only jeans that actually FIT. In which case, skinny jeans are right for you. For the majority, however, skinny jeans are bought too tight for the person's body, and the unforgiving nature of the cut just makes the whole mess worse.

Like:
                      * Anything which actually fits the person's body. By this, I mean that if the design is supposed to be loose, it IS loose. If the design is supposed to be semi-fitted, it IS. Supposed to be fitted, it IS.
                      The shoulder seam is on the shoulder, the point of the bust (in women) is close-enough to the point of the bust, the waistline is at the waist, the fabric isn't gaping or pulling or stretching or otherwise off.
                      * Colours, patterns, and designs which flatter the person they're worn on.

Dislike:
                      * Yellows and oranges on me. UGH. It has to be done absolutely perfectly, or I look atrocious. (Though some of the deep brown skins are very flattered by yellows and oranges.)
                      * People trying to delude themselves that they're a size (X-1) when they're actually a size X. It shows. And it looks horrible.
                      * Clashing colours or patterns in the same outfit.
                      * Certain types of stripes. I have astigmatism, and as anyone with astigmatism can tell you, parallel lines can occasionally be nauseating. It's worse in interior decor than on clothes, though, because the line of the body breaks up the parellelism.
                      But if you're standing there staring at a loooong mall hallway which has been done in longitudinal stripes, the urge to find the nearest place to barf...
                      Seshat's self-help guide:
                      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

More things I like and dislike, culled from another few days at school:

Like:

Embroidery and brocade -- I don't know if this trend is sweeping the nation or if it's a hippie, crunchy, granola trend localized here in the Portlandia of the east. What I do know is that when winter comes, the ladies around here bust out the brocade skirts and jackets and go around looking like they're wearing Victorian upholstery. In a good way. It's a lovely look on older women, but especially striking on young ones. Embroidery is also big here. You see it on cuffs and collars most, but I saw a girl at school the other day wearing a black blouse with flowers and vines embroidered on it that looked real enough to pluck off. I guess my appreciation of this kind of thing comes from an appreciation of any art or skill that obviously takes effort, time, and talent.

"Net" sweaters or dresses -- The kind that need something under them or else you'll basically be going around naked. To see a sweater made of thick yarn netting over a classy white blouse is just a good look. Likewise a net dress or jacket over a simple shift.

Boots with buckles -- It's a look that can be taken too far, but lots of women are wearing boots with lots of buckles. Perhaps it's the steampunk afficianado in me, but it's just something I like. Especially high-heeled boots with buckles. On men, I'm fond of motorcycle boots and engineer boots.

Colorful menswear -- To a certain degree. I like seeing men able to carry off really colorful dress shirts. It's one of the few ways that men are able to adorn without looking like a douche. Likewise colorful ties, but it's easy to overdo a tie or wear the wrong one. Men who can coordinate successfully turn me on. Typically, the best look is a good, solid-color dress shirt, be it blood red, purple, indigo, forest green, or even pink. The key is to match your tie and make sure the colors look good against whatever color pants you're wearing, and also to make sure whatever leather you're wearing also accessorizes. Don't wear brown shoes and a brown belt if the other colors don't support it. One bad accessory can ruin the whole look.

Dislike:

Neon shoes -- Just looks childish, in my opinion. Neon laces, neon soles, the whole damned thing neon -- they go out of their way not to match anything and call attention to you when it really isn't needed.
                        Last edited by Antisocial_Worker; 02-16-2013, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Layering.

Of course, it means for much more laundry, but on my figure, it seems most flattering, especially when I've gained a few pounds too many in my bottom half.

I usually tend to wear one tanktop too long for me, then one that fits just right, then a shirt of some kind, or a zip hoodie, or whatever the main shirt is above those.

Layering looks awesome.
                          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth Antisocial_Worker View Post
                            Embroidery and brocade -- I don't know if this trend is sweeping the nation or if it's a hippie, crunchy, granola trend localized here in the Portlandia of the east. What I do know is that when winter comes, the ladies around here bust out the brocade skirts and jackets and go around looking like they're wearing Victorian upholstery. In a good way. It's a lovely look on older women, but especially striking on young ones. Embroidery is also big here.
                            I have always loved this look. It was popular in the late 80s/early 90s too. You just can't do it here in winter, as a brocade jacket will not fit under a parka.
                            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

What I hate are the $90 pair of really faded and/or ripped jeans, why the hell would anyone waste that much money on something that's already ruined?
                              ......../\
                              ....../__\
                              ..../\...../\
                              ../__\../__\

Comment

Working...
                              X