Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alamo Drafthouse:The woes of an entitled texter...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alamo Drafthouse:The woes of an entitled texter...

A Texas movie theater threw out a patron for violating their no texting policy. She, in turn, leaves a profanity laden voice mail defending her inalienable right to text wherever she wants to.

I wish more movie theaters enforced their policies like that. It's make movie-going a more pleasant experience.

http://consumerist.com/2011/06/alamo...ng-policy.html
    Last edited by RecoveringKinkoid; 06-07-2011, 02:32 PM. Reason: Wanted to make subject easier to see to avoid more dupes. Hot topic, evidently.
    My Horror Blog

Cinemania

Magnited States of America?

"I was using my phone as a flashlight to find my seat"

"I didn't know I wasn't supposed to text"

...but I thought you were using it as a flashlight...

Quoth patiokitty View Post
    I love this! Holy shit do I ever love this! Here there is an announcement made before the movie starts that texting is not allowed...provided that people actually pay attention for course.
    The article someone linked in the comments says she was warned twice before they kicked her out...and this is their new "Don't talk or text" PSA that they show for R-rated movies. I so want to go there.
    Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 06-07-2011, 01:01 AM. Reason: add link
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

She wouldn't have needed a flashlight to find a seat if she hadn't showed up late (and hence disturbed a whole bunch of people in the process, I'm sure.)

Some people's carelessness is breathtaking.

Comment

Hahaha. I'm so happy to see this go viral.

For those who haven't had the pleasure of visiting the Alamo, they warn you at the end of the credits, right before the movie starts, that you get one warning and then you're thrown out for talking (even to people next to you, not just talking on the phone) or texting. Dumb girl is dumb, and it's really sad because she's probably over 18 (under 18 only allowed with parent/guardian) and probably a college student since she's from Austin.

The Alamo almost makes the bad parts of Texas, like the crazy heat, worth it.
        Last edited by trailerparkmedic; 06-07-2011, 04:25 AM.

Comment

What's the point of going to a movie if you're going to sit there & text for 2 hours? I don't get it.

Comment

i LOVE the alamo drafthouse, and i love them even more for this. tim league, the owner, is all around made of awesome. as was mentioned a couple of posts back, there is a warning at the beginning of every showing that talking or texting will get you one warning, then will get you thrown out.

as for it being too dark to find her seat, that's bullshit. the drafthouse serves food and drinks during the movie, so the way the theater is set up is basically like a normal theater with every other row of seats removed and replaced with bench tables. underneath every one of these tables are dim lights so that patrons can read the menu or write their orders during the movie, and so the servers can make sure they have the correct orders and give the correct checks to people.

this person just made herself look like a total jackass in front of millions of people. i really hope the posting of her voicemail will somehow get back to her.
            My Space

Comment

How the hell did I miss this place when I was travelin' to San Antone regularly????
              "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
                What's the point of going to a movie if you're going to sit there & text for 2 hours? I don't get it.
                Yeah, you're paying $10 and not watching the movie? Straining your eyes looking at your tiny phone screen in pitch darkness? Dumbass, you can text from home in decent light and not pay a cent. Or go to the park if you want a change of surroundings; that's free, too.

And the way she talked...I'm picturing some airheaded Valley Girl from the 1980s, like totally, fer sure!
                I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                My LiveJournal
                A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I saw this on Anderson Cooper's RidicuList...you know someone's an a$$wipe when they wind up there!
                  Testing
                  "I saw a flock of moosen! There were many of 'em. Many much moosen. Out in the woods- in the woodes- in the woodsen. The meese want the food. The food is to eatenesen."

Comment

Yeah, she's exactly the sort of customer you want to keep! NOT.

And I would love to see what sort of message she leaves when she finds out she's on the Riduclist . . .

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                      Yeah, you're paying $10 and not watching the movie? Straining your eyes looking at your tiny phone screen in pitch darkness? Dumbass, you can text from home in decent light and not pay a cent.
                      I've found that a lot of the free 'press' screenings around here are like this. People talking, texting, playing games...just because nobody had to pay for their passes doesn't mean nobody wants to watch the movie.
                      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth patiokitty View Post
                        I love this! Holy shit do I ever love this! Here there is an announcement made before the movie starts that texting is not allowed...provided that people actually pay attention for course.
                        Knowing SC logic it will go over their head because rules don't apply to them in their head. Apparently Mrs. I Used My Phone As A Light No No No I Used It To Text thought she was an exception.... now she stupidity is online for all to laugh at.
                        New England Patirots... FIVE TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPS!
                        New England Revolution... Will win MLS Cup one day.

Comment

I thought the CEO nicely reiterated it in their blog:
                          http://cf.drafthouse.com/she_texted_..._her_out2.html

Ma'am, you may be free to text in all the other theaters in the Magnited States of America, but here at our "little crappy ass theater," you are not. Why you may ask? Well, we actually do give a f*$k.

Sincerely,

Tim League
                          founder/CEO
                          Alamo Drafthouse Cinema
                          I want one of these places here in the 'Ham! If we had one I would burn my Crown card and never go to another theatre ever again!
                          Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

I'm waiting eagerly to see if (more likely when, not if) this woman comes out of the woodwork to sue the theater for defamation of character, infliction of mental distress, etc.

Like that woman a while back who walked into the mall fountain while texting, and was all over the news a week later, ready to sue the mall, the security company, and anyone who had filmed her.

Comment

Quoth tacohuman View Post
                              i LOVE the alamo drafthouse, and i love them even more for this. tim league, the owner, is all around made of awesome. as was mentioned a couple of posts back, there is a warning at the beginning of every showing that talking or texting will get you one warning, then will get you thrown out.

as for it being too dark to find her seat, that's bullshit. the drafthouse serves food and drinks during the movie, so the way the theater is set up is basically like a normal theater with every other row of seats removed and replaced with bench tables. underneath every one of these tables are dim lights so that patrons can read the menu or write their orders during the movie, and so the servers can make sure they have the correct orders and give the correct checks to people.

this person just made herself look like a total jackass in front of millions of people. i really hope the posting of her voicemail will somehow get back to her.
                              Wait...texting is disturbing but servers going around serving food during the movie is not?

I hate people who talk and fool around with their phones during the movie; I just don't get how serving food & drinks during a movie is any less disturbing...
                              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
                              X