Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Your City's Signature Food Is "Dumb"....WTF??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Your City's Signature Food Is "Dumb"....WTF??

Whoever wrote this has gotta be trolling...there can be no other explanation.

http://www.trutv.com/dumb_as_a_blog/...umb-foods.html

Eh...the writer does kinda have a point. I mean, have you ever tried to eat any kind of sub sandwich with someone from Philadelphia?? The entire meal you'll be treated to a tirade of "Why can't I get a good grinder in the Midwest? Man, I'd do anything for a half-decent cheesesteak. You know, you should drive all the way to crime-riddled Philly for a damn sandwich with Cheez Whiz!!! Everything else is CRAP." I'm surprised he didn't add Kansas City's burnt ends, which unless cooked perfectly are pieces of burnt, chewy gristle swimming in sauce. Ick.
    "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
    Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Quoth AdminAssistant View Post
      Eh...the writer does kinda have a point. I mean, have you ever tried to eat any kind of sub sandwich with someone from Philadelphia??
      Perhaps, but I'm not gonna reserve judgement because I've never had an authentic philly cheesteak. But seriously...Gumbo? Cincinnati chili? Texas brisket? This so-called writer didn't even try to see the positive in anything...hence, why I think she's trolling.

Comment

One of the funniest things I've ever read is a series on the blog Deadspin about why all the different NFL teams suck (or in the case of the New England Patriots, why your team sacks).

You can find things that are quirky or things to hate about anything, even the things you hold dear. You either have a sense of humor and chuckle about it or you don't.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth dendawg View Post
          Perhaps, but I'm not gonna reserve judgement because I've never had an authentic philly cheesteak. But seriously...Gumbo? Cincinnati chili? Texas brisket? This so-called writer didn't even try to see the positive in anything...hence, why I think she's trolling.
          No kidding. People have different tastes, sure. I don't think I'd like a cheesesteak with Cheez Whiz (though I love them with provolone!). But to just flat-out say it sucks is painting with a rather broad brush.

Besides, I love a good gumbo, Boston clam chowder or beef brisket. And a bagel with lox spread (not crazy about lox and cream cheese seperately, but they're tasty when mixed together). And I think I'd like to try a Juicy Lucy or some fried cheese curds.

I don't think my city has a Signature Food, but Yahoo Answers has some pretty good stuff about our state (including a recipe I definitely want to try!).
          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
          My LiveJournal
          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

On the crabcake:

"It's smashed shellfish and stale bread smooshed together, served with a lemon wedge and everyone thinks they should charge you an arm and a leg for it. Crab cakes are cuisine's version of a dime bag of schwag; there's not enough actual crab in the cake to pack a punch..."

Okay, crab cakes are expensive, that's for sure. But if the author truly believes the rest of that, then she has not had a decent crabcake.

(Actually, I think I shall order some crabcakes right now.)

Comment

Hey, the place where I live right now is on there! And I have to say, I'm not a huge chili fan, but I like Cincinnati chili. It's more of a sauce than anything. And the cheese...my God, the cheese...
              https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

I think this was less about 'finding the positive' and more about getting folks to stop taking their *signature regional dish* a bit less seriously. I've had brisket (in Kansas, not Texas, close enough). It's good. Done well, it's damn good. In the grand scheme of things, it's really not that big of a deal.

If you're in one of these areas, sure, it makes sense to try a city or region's dish. But it's not something that I would go way out of my way for. And chances are, there may be a version in a different restaurant/city/state that's every bit as good. As I've said, I've had good brisket in Kansas. But I'm sure there are Texans that would get all frothy-mouthed at the very thought. How dare you eat BBQ anywhere but Texas!!! You made Baby Jesus cry!!!! Why? Why waste the energy?

Oh, and Cincinnati chili sounds and looks absolutely disgusting. (Just saw your reply, AnaK. No offense but...cinnamon?? ew.)

ETA: I'll add another thing. When Food Network or Travel Channel go to different places, they'll usually pick the same restaurant as the only purveyor of a regional specialty. For Kansas City, it's Arthur Bryant and/or Gates. Few KC'ers visit these places regularly, mostly because national exposure has turned them into tourist destinations. Although, in the case of Arthur Bryant's, they're sending innocent tourists into the damn shooting gallery. I can't tell you about the BBQ because I was too afraid to go there. Gates has decent sauce, but the BBQ is dry and they yell at you. There are a ton of other BBQ places around, most notably Oklahoma Joe's (which has recently been featured on Travel Channel).
                Last edited by AdminAssistant; 06-19-2011, 07:34 PM.
                "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

I have to say, I hate Cincinnati chili. And yes, I've had the real thing. My ex's family raved about it. It's the sauce...I just like it more...tomato-y.

Comment

Quoth AdminAssistant View Post

Oh, and Cincinnati chili sounds and looks absolutely disgusting. (Just saw your reply, AnaK. No offense but...cinnamon?? ew.)
                    Believe me, it is.

Chili is supposed to be spicy, not taste like hot fudge sauce and meat over noodles.
                    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Haters gonna hate! More cinnamon (and/or root beer, or chocolate) infused Cincinnati chili for me!
                      https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

I don't think there's anything on this list I would actually eat. Though when I worked in my college's little snack bar place we made cheesesteaks. I wouldn't eat them but they smelled good and they were fun to make.

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
                        [words]
                        I just like your avatar
                        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

To all the haters of Cincy chili: If you've had Skyline, you're eating the wrong kind. Skyline's only the biggest, hardly the best. Come on down here and try Empress, Gold Star, or Camp Washington before you pass judgement.

Also, I'd love to see an out of town-er try Goetta. (not chili, a Cincinnati area delicacy.)

Comment

Dendawg, good to know abut Cincy chili. I really hated it, but I tried Skyline because that's what everybody told me. There's a lot of good food on this list. Boston Clam Chowder is one of my favorite things. Without the oyster crackers. The best place I had it from served it in a bread bowl. Mmmmm...
                            The original Cookie in a multitude of cookies.

Comment

It's nice to see that Coney Dogs made the list too. Geeze, what does this guy eat when he travels? Dry white toast and water?

Comment

Working...
                              X