X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand sanitizer-the new alcohol?

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/n...-1226077934701

A guy drinks SIX bottles of hand sanitizer in a hospital and gets a BAC of .271.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Buh....wha...why did....y'know what? I don't wanna know.
    "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

I don't see how they will manage to keep them secured - when I did my phlebotomy clinical at my local hospital at the beginning of the month, we had sanitizers on our carts, as well as in every single room, and went through (this is just us phlebotomists - 5 of us) about 20 bottles in a week. It wouldn't be feasable to have them bolted to something and then have to carry around bottles to refill, unless somebody was dedicated to doing nothing all day but refilling every single bottle in each patient room, outside each room, in the reception areas, waiting rooms, bathrooms (you get the point.)
      The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

No idea how they'll enforce it, although you'd have to be completely psychotic to actually DRINK that stuff.
        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

We had a guy at my mall drinking Listerine (*shudders*) ; he seemed like he'd been through a few bottles!

What next, the hospital won't give you mouthwash for fear you'll drink it?
          "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
            No idea how they'll enforce it, although you'd have to be completely psychotic to actually DRINK that stuff.
            The stupidest of stupid will drink anything that'll get them "drunk". So why protect them from their own stupidity? Let them drink hand sanitizer and mouthwash. Hell, give them a tharra/changaa cocktail (call it a Darwin Award or a Gene Pool Shock Treatment) and let them get permanently wasted!
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

When me and my cousin were kids, we had this tea party and we used different colors of mouthwash to tint the water we were making "tea" out of. Knowing it didn't taste great, we didn't use much. Just enough to faintly tint the water. We used it because we figured, hey, it's something you put in your mouth, it must be safe.

You know what I remember most? The horrible stomach pains and nausea. To this very day I remember how horrible we felt. We didn't even dring enough, I thought, to hardly even taste, much less get drunk off the alcohol content.

So that begs the question, how in the HELL does one drink enough hand sanitizer to get drunk? How do you get it down and keep it down long enough to even get a buzz off it?

Comment

I recently saw the movie Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee, set in 1890. One scene had Indians begging at a pharmacy window for cod-liver oil because it contained a small amount of alcohol. I remember reading that destitute Indians on the Pine Ridge reservation in the Dakotas drink Listerine for the same reason
                Testing
                "I saw a flock of moosen! There were many of 'em. Many much moosen. Out in the woods- in the woodes- in the woodsen. The meese want the food. The food is to eatenesen."

Comment

There's a story in Darwin Awards of a Chem professor sneaking out bottles of Ethyl Alcohol so he could get drunk in class. One day he misread the label and took the bottle of Methyl Alcohol. Oops.
                  I AM the evil bastard!
                  A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Ok, I just had to skip all of that and outright say "Ewwwww, thats gross".

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
                      There's a story in Darwin Awards of a Chem professor sneaking out bottles of Ethyl Alcohol so he could get drunk in class. One day he misread the label and took the bottle of Methyl Alcohol. Oops.
                      http://darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin2001-22.html
                      Testing
                      "I saw a flock of moosen! There were many of 'em. Many much moosen. Out in the woods- in the woodes- in the woodsen. The meese want the food. The food is to eatenesen."

Comment

DS, at the hospitals I've worked at, the hand sanitizer is on the walls in little cases where you push the lever at the bottom for a squirt. They're just like a wall mounted soap dispenser and some department is in charge of making sure they're full. It's actually pretty handy since they tend to be right outside patient rooms, making it easy to remember to do your hands when you enter and leave.

The desperation of addicts is so sad.

Comment

The very same.
                          I AM the evil bastard!
                          A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Working...
                          X