X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goodbye video to Forrest Crying Wolf, Degenerative Myelopathy awareness

Hello all,

Recently the vlcak community lost a dog to degenerative myelopathy. Forrest Crying Wolf was his name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degenerative_myelopathy

The owners (they are in Italy) are hoping to use Forrest's plight to the spotlight at how important testing for degenerative myelopathy as well as genetic prevention are.

Here is the video, just a warning, it does show a dog in advanced stages of DM where the rear legs are paralyzed form the disease. it is very sad and if you don't want to view that, you can stop the video when the music changes and the "letter" appears (I assume that the letter is that either he tested positive for DM or the diagnosis was DM).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfuFAPGLr0U

Forrest's death is hitting close to home for us even though he was thousands of miles away. Forrest's littermate, Flash, is Pollux's maternal grandmother.

Pollux is a carrier of DM (and so is Luna). While he will never develop the disease if we're not careful with who he's bred to it is possible that his offspring could be affected with DM (affected dogs don't always develop DM symptoms but only affected dogs develop symptoms). Kiri and Zorro are "normal" or "clear" meaning their offspring will not develop symptoms, even if they are bred to an affected dog (worst case is that they will be carriers).

DM is something that can easily be bred out in as little as TWO generations but many breeders refuse to test for it. I don't know why but many claim it's not in their lines even though it doesn't usually start to show signs until later in life and is commonly misdiagnosed as hip dysplasia. Other breeders claim it is not a big issue. Statistically, 25% of dogs in the breed that are susceptible to the disease are affected while 50% are carriers - so that's 75% of the population can have offspring who is affected. I wonder how big it has to be before they consider it a serious issue?

The OFA (Orthopedic Foundation for Animals) website has test kits as well as a list of breeds that are at risk. Breeds derived from those breeds are also at risk (for example, Shiloh Shepherds, Saarloos Wolfhounds, and Czechoslovakian Vlcaks were all derived in part form German shepherds so they're at risk, too). There are also universities in the USA who are doing tests on DM (University of Florida in Ganesville is one of the leaders). Please have your dog tested and if you buy a puppy, insist that the breeder tests the parents.
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

My cow had that. So glad that it never really effected her life. She was a happy dog.
    My sanity has been dripping out of me my whole life, today they turned on the faucet.....

Comment

The humane thing to do is to put the dog down when they have severe difficulty walking. It becomes a dignity issue. Many people don't want to do this but it's best considering that it leaves to paralysis in the rear legs and then it works its way up the spine.

I consider it cruel to let the disease run its full course - it'll work its way up into paralyzing the bowels and other organs. I've seen it strike (as in from first showing symptoms to they couldn't walk) as quickly as 8 months but can it can take many years for the disease to progress that far.

BTW - Forrest's Page on my site.
      Quote Dalesys:

Comment

draggar,

I thought that same thing when I got to the end of the video...I found myself quite angry at the owners for making the dog walk around like that instead of ending his misery. Good for you for trying to raise awareness about the disease.
        "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
        Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

The text in the letter translates to (according to Google translate):

And a serious disease that affects the spinal cord, usually aggresdisce dogs aged between 5 and 14 years showing no predilection for sex.

Progressive and irreversible, interrupts nerve impulses from the limbs to the brain and vice versa, bringing up the animal euthanasia.

Once proclaimed, leaves no way out and can not cure it.

Help us make it known to stop:

Take the test
          Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Working...
          X