X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Significant News

Hi all

This one's likely to cause my inbox to explode, so I'll explain as much as I think is pertinent in here.

I took over the running of this site almost a decade ago. There's been good times and bad times, but it's got to the point where I've got to move on. My priorities are different than they used to be.

There are many compounding reasons, but the absolute fact is that I intend selling the domain. What does this mean in real terms?

I'm giving advance notice so that if you want to go through your posts to save them to a document on your computer you can. The date I have in mind for selling on is the end of February, so you've got about six weeks.

The forum data will likely be erased, mostly for data security reasons. I know I do nothing with it, but there's plenty of moderator stuff we don't want to go further.

Are there circumstances under which the forum would continue with the current database? Possibly - depends what someone offers me and I'm being intentionally vague about it. How much would I accept for the site name? Depends on my investigations over the next few weeks - might go to auction, might go to straight sale.

There are definitely going to be questions, but the simple fact is that it's time for someone else to take up the torch, someone who can develop the place and make it live again. I no longer have time and energy to do that. If anyone from the membership is interested in taking the place on, my inbox is open.

The main thing to consider is that there's six weeks to go, give or take.

Stay within the rules, but it's party time! Let's celebrate this place's existence.

Rapscallion

Man, I will miss this place. I know I didn't post much over the past few years, but I still read stuff, and made so many friends here. I'm so appreciative of Raps and the mods for making it such a great place to hang out.
    "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

I just discovered this site a short time ago, and I really like it. I hope someone will take it over and continue it. Good luck Rapscallion, wishing you much happiness in the future.

Comment

This'll be the second time a regular forum I've been part of has closed/moved on.

Sad, but I'm sure we'll all be able to congregate elsewhere. I'd host a forum on my own site if I knew what I was doing to help out, but I don't, nor do I have the time to keep it running, so I understand where you're coming from.

Thanks for the work you've put in over the years to keep this place running, somewhere for me to vent, commiserate and laugh along with people all over.

So I guess if this is the end, there's a lot I could say, but it all boils down to thank you. I don't think I really need to say much more than that.

Comment

Just to add something due to the number of messages I'm already getting, there's no guarantee that this is the end of the site. There are circumstances under which I would consider counting the forum as part of the deal for the right person. That depends on who is interested.

For anyone interested, our current set up is with Linode cloud hosting and costs $150 a month. With a judicious post prune and removing some aspects, that could be reduced, and any interested parties may be able to hunt around for a better deal. Yes, that does factor into my decision. It needs to factor into the decision of anyone interested - might be able to go down the advert route to defray costs. Would be the call of whoever buys the site.

Rapscallion

Comment

I definitely understand the need to move on, and I wish you well, Raps. I know I've been more of a lurker than an active poster in the past couple of years, since I don't deal with people at all in my current job and I don't feel like I have much to contribute anymore. But I still have fond memories of this site and how ranting about my T-Mobile customers and then the living hell that was the prison were I worked after that helped me to keep my sanity. I made so many dear friends here, most of whom I've kept in contact with via social media. This community helped me through the darkest time of my life during my bitter divorce, the false charges against me, and my ex's crusade to destroy what was left of my life. We've laughed together, we've cried together, and I still believe people thought I was way more clever and funny than I actually am (though I'm still touched that in my heydey I was one of CS's celebrity ranters). I hope the site and the community will live on, but no matter what's in store for the future of CS.com, I will always be grateful for having been a part of it.
            "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Comment

Just a note to reinforce what Raps has said -- Just because he's moving on, does *not* automatically mean that the forum will be going away, or reset/wiped with or without accounts intact, etc. He wanted to give everyone a heads-up just in case whoever ends up taking it over DOES decide to do so.

We're looking into relaxing the cap on search results (currently 100 per search) to facilitate people getting their data; we'll let you know. In the meantime, the Advanced Search will let you restrict by date somewhat.

If you wish to archive your PM's, you can do so from your PM section of the Control Panel. It all gets dumped into one big file. To access this, go to your PM's and scroll all the way down. On the very bottom, you should see a link that says "Download all Private Messages as: XML | CSV | Text" -- Use this and save to your computer. (XML is readable by browsers; CSV is readable by Excel)
              Last edited by EricKei; 01-17-2016, 12:45 PM.
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

At least the future is up in the air… unlike the Wizards of the Coast forums lost late last year.
                "IT stands away, interrupting himself from the incessant hammering of the kittens…"

Comment

Well, most of my activity the past couple years has been around Christmas card time. Still, I'll be sad if this place goes away. Almost ten years I've been here! I appreciate all the work Raps and the mods have done over the years.
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth prjkt View Post

Sad, but I'm sure we'll all be able to congregate elsewhere.
                    *cough* Facebook CS Group *cough*
                    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Thanks, Raps, for giving us all this great community. I've made some friends and really enjoyed reading so many stories. And it's really been a community. We've supported each other in bad times and celebrated good times, and I don't think I've ever seen a troll here, so obviously you did something right.

Quoth EricKei View Post
                      We're looking into relaxing the cap on search results (currently 100 per search) to facilitate people getting their data; we'll let you know. In the meantime, the Advanced Search will let you restrict by date somewhat.
                      I would like to be able to click that "Find All Posts By..." link and actually get all posts. Don't know if that's possible, but it would be nice.

I also just want to throw out there that if we just want to keep the forum going without the rest of the site, there are free (usually banner ad supported) forum hosts available. I run two such forums at work, and I rather like the platform. If we end up going that route, I'd be willing to assist with the setup and/or moderation.
                      I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
                      - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
                      - IPF

Comment

Unfortunately, those free sites can't handle the amount of traffic we get here.
                        Sometimes life is altered.
                        Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                        Uneasy with confrontation.
                        Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

I hope things workout somehow. I'd hate to lose this place to vent. Besides I just bought Christmas cards for this year's exchange.
                          I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

It's been great being here, reading all the posts about customers, co-workers and random things. Ive gotten great advice. Let's hope whomever buys this domain keeps it live.
                            NEVER underestimate the stupidity of the customer

Comment

I remember when Raps took over. Seems crazy that I've been here that long. ��

Comment

Working...
                              X