This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So... what's your handicap?

Saw a jeep parked in he handicapped space in front of the borough hall across the street from our shop. A guy jogged up, got something out of the Jeep, and jogged back across the street.

If I tried jogging across the street I'd have a heart attack.

Called the cops - explained the situation. I didn't want the guy to get in trouble if he had driven his 80 year old mother to the hair salon or something - to be fair, I didn't see him park so I had no idea if he was by himself or not. But I know of plenty of times where people have been busted for using their mother/father/etc.'s placard to park wherever they damn well please and were not handicapped themselves.

Eventually the guy came back and he did have a woman with him who looked to be the same age (30's?) - she didn't seem to be handicapped either, but who knows.

Of course - the cop shows up about 2 minutes after they leave so I don't know if the guy was legit or not. It's still possible the guy and woman weren't handicapped and were using someone else's placard but I'll probably never find out now. Couldn't get their license plate number from my angle.

My mom, age 70 and with 2 replaced knees - had to jump through a bunch of proverbial hoops to get her handicapped placard. So I tend to take it personally if I know or even suspect someone is taking advantage of that right.

I've been known to walk up to these yahoos and ask them if they are aware that they are parked in a handicapped spot. Some stammer, some tell me to mind my own business, but occasionally one will turn red, hop back in the vehicle and move it. I consider that a win.

Comment

Please do not do THIS. My husband has 2 prosthetics. When he wears long pants you would never know. He wears short and "shows his mettle" to avoid these kinds of confrontations. Not everyone has a visible disability. I have 3 invisible disabilities that qualify for a card. I cannot stand for long periods of time. I sometimes use a wheel chair. Other days I am strong enough to walk. You aren't a doctor. I go to the gym almost daily. I work out. I look healthy. Some days I don't get get out of bed. For three months straight I only left the house to go to doctors. People with knee, hip, ankle replacements don't always look disabled. Not all people with cancer look sick, not all people with fibromyalgia or other invisible illnesses look sick. No one should have to justify or explain their illness to anyone.

Comment

Sorry, I should clarify that I would NEVER do it if I thought there was a chance that the person was legitimately handicapped or transporting someone who is. My own mom has a handicapped placard, and although she isn't obviously handicapped, she has difficulty walking for any length of time because of joint issues.

Of the few times I've done it, it's been in situations where it's very obvious that someone is just taking advantage of a convenient parking spot. The last time, it was a truck with big wheels that two teenagers jumped out of. They started running off, so I politely yelled, "Hey, do you know you're parked in the handicapped spot? If you don't have a sticker, might want to move your truck to avoid a ticket." (no placard in sight) The driver came back and moved it. No harm, no foul.

Comment

This one's really pushing the line, guys. Please take the matter to Fratching.

Thread closed.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
          X