This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know

If it's legal to record at your workplace???
    My manager claims I didn't put enough cash in the drop. I'm 99.99 percent I did. My manager is a good guy, so I don't think he lying but he gets distracted easily. So I think he was counting and he turned around and the money accidentally fell behind his desk or something. Idk.
    Anyhow, I'm wondering because I want to record myself on my tablet putting in the drop in the safe so I have proof. I work by myself so I don't have witnesses to watch me put drop in safe. I live in the US. Any one know??? Thanks.
    Can't reason with the unreasonable.
    The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on tv.

That being said: such laws vary frm State to State. Check local laws on the issue.
    "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

VS is correct. Check local laws. Some areas ban it outright, some allow it with permission of one of those being recorded (after all, you could accidentally get someone else on camera, and you ARE recording your own hands doing the counting), some require multiple people's permission, some allow it if the location (store) allows it, etc. Remember, a place of business is private property, so what they say, goes; any given store may choose to be more restrictive than what the law allows for.

Perhaps more simply: if the store has security cameras that actually work (rather than just being decoys), ask that the footage be reviewed. The sooner, the better, as they may not be obligated to keep archived footage for more than a certain period of time.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

At every hotel I've worked at we have the relieving shift count the drop and sign that they verified the amount and witnessed it being dropped in the safe.

Comment

Far as videotaping goes, state laws have little to say other than what the property owner says. Check your policy manual, since i am assuming you work for a chain, and see what it says within. Does the drop get sent to the bank in one go, or do they collect them? Also, is your drop separate in a bag? When i was doing drops, admittedly for a fast food restaurant, we had carbon receipts we filled out with the money amount. One in the bank bag, one in the audit folder.

Edit: And holy crap, this thread is 2 months old. So, uh, Anything on this happen, or just a slip then? Hahaha (mental note: Review thread dates. Or perhaps a mod can delete my post since it really adds nothing. Your choice mods!)

Comment

Quoth Krivak View Post
            Far as videotaping goes, state laws have little to say other than what the property owner says. Check your policy manual, since i am assuming you work for a chain, and see what it says within. Does the drop get sent to the bank in one go, or do they collect them? Also, is your drop separate in a bag? When i was doing drops, admittedly for a fast food restaurant, we had carbon receipts we filled out with the money amount. One in the bank bag, one in the audit folder.

Edit: And holy crap, this thread is 2 months old. So, uh, Anything on this happen, or just a slip then? Hahaha (mental note: Review thread dates. Or perhaps a mod can delete my post since it really adds nothing. Your choice mods!)
            Lol. I've seen threads years old and still going. So, it's cool.
            Since then, I haven't heard a peep from the manager about my drops so I guess it's been alright. I've been showing our security cams the money being put in the envelope, tho I can't show it being out in the safe. We used to do witness sign but it became bothersome, I guess.
            I doubt my manager would frown at me taping it being out in the safe but he would raise an eyebrow. Nothing worse than the dreaded eyebrow raise.
            Can't reason with the unreasonable.
            The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

We don't have a problem with necroposting, Krivak -- the system auto-locks anything that's gone too long without a post, anyway (this one was inactive *almost* long enough for that )...in which case you can always start a new thread and link back to the original.
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
              X