X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excellent, marvelous....

... and yee-frickin'-HAH!

I thought you deserved better than that snake pit of a workplace, and I'm delighted that you're on your way to better things!

Congratulations!
    Experience is knowing how not to get your teeth kicked in - again. -- The Freethinker

"And that... entitles you to no mercy at all, no matter what." -- from Going Postal by Terry Pratchett

Comment

Quoth morgana View Post
      Yay, Sapphire!

Have you told the idiots at the college yet?
      Not yet. I'm waiting for the written offer of employment to get here first, and I may wait quite a bit after that to turn in my formal resignation. Right now they're doing the background check (which shouldn't be a problem).

I had always planned if I got the job to stay through the summer semester. However, I also want to stay to the end of July so I get a full month's paycheck from the college. That will give me 2 weeks to finish moving and get settled into my new place (once I find one) before I start August 15th.

The college president is doing everything he can to cut corners, so I'm afraid if I turn in my notice too early he'll cut me loose in early July. That will make things very difficult for me financially because I won't get my first check from my new job until the end of September (I get paid monthly, not bi weekly). I'm probably going to turn in my notice in Mid July, giving them 2 weeks, which is all I'm required to do.

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
      Cinci is a good city. If you're not a fan of largish cities though, and depending on where you work, you might look into actually living in Northern Kentucky. It's like the pleasant suburbs, just 5 minutes away from the big city.
      I've actually given Kentucky some thought. It has advantages for me as far as my nursing license goes. Kentucky is in the Nursing Compact, which means if I live there my license will be multi-state and I can work in the other states that are part of the compact without getting a new license for every one. Multi state licensure only works if you live in a compact state, and Ohio is not in the Compact (North Carolina is, but I'll lose my multi state privilege as soon as I change my legal address).

Since I'm going to have to find secondary employment in the summers, that could end up being very important. Plus, I have to be licensed in Iowa for my part time online teaching gig, and Iowa is in the compact. So when I move, I either have to live in a compact state or get an Iowa license. Either way, I have to pick up another nursing license.

I've been looking at houses on Zillow and found a few possibilities but I want to look at the area before I look at actual houses in Kentucky. I'm making a list of properties to look at in Ohio itself, and will be headed up there on a weekend in June sometime to look. Right now I'm trying to refinance the house I'm in now to lower my mortgage payment; the market here sucks so I'm going to rent it out rather than try to sell it.

Quoth eltf177 View Post
      Congrats!

And keep us informed about how well the college takes your resignation!
      I think the Chair has an idea what I'm up to. One of my friends in the department threw a BBQ for the faculty earlier this week. We were talking about one of our graduates who's a bit of a rolling stone, and I made a comment about how often I'd moved and how every job opened doors for bigger and better things later.

The look she threw me was priceless. I've kept this close to my chest, but one of my colleagues figured out I was looking for a new job and she's been gossiping about it. Which sucks because some of my OTHER colleagues can't be trusted, and I've been trying not to show my hand earlier than I've had to.

Right now I've only told four people I'm leaving (and two of them are married); the only four people in my department that I really trust anymore because they've always been there for me and never let me down.
      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Congratulations!!!! Awesome news.

Some things are better kept close to the vest . . . and you've got a lot of stuff to get done and really not enough time to get it all done in (the summer will fly by quicker than we think.)

Everything has a tendency to work out for the best in the end. Just keeping my fingers crossed that you don't get a pink slip early.
        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
          Congratulations!!!! Awesome news.

Some things are better kept close to the vest . . . and you've got a lot of stuff to get done and really not enough time to get it all done in (the summer will fly by quicker than we think.)

Everything has a tendency to work out for the best in the end. Just keeping my fingers crossed that you don't get a pink slip early.
          I looked at my pay stub earlier today. I've never been one to abuse my sick time, so I actually have six weeks worth saved up (I'd have more if I hadn't had to take 4 weeks off seven years ago for medical reasons). I should get all that in cash when I leave, which will give me a buffer if I need it.

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why you should never abuse your sick time. Even if you don't get sick, it can help you later when you change jobs. This happened to me 20 years ago when I was getting ready to change jobs. I had handed in my resignation, but then suffered a major medical emergency and was going to have to take four weeks off.

That employer tried to skip out on paying me my sick time, and only gave me my saved 2 weeks vacation, trying to say that since I'd told them I wouldn't be back they didn't owe me anything more.

Wrong answer, skippy. I stuck to my guns, and they paid me my earned sick time.
          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

You're very lucky that they roll over your sick time. Most places I've worked at that even offer paid sick time don't roll it over from year to year - if you don't use it in that year you lose it. Mind you, that's not an issue for me because I do end up with legitimate illnesses through the year or needing mental health days.

Comment

Congratulations on the great news!
              I'd tell you where to go, but I work there and I don't want to see you everyday.

My photo blog.

Comment

Quoth KuariKaydrith View Post
                You're very lucky that they roll over your sick time. Most places I've worked at that even offer paid sick time don't roll it over from year to year - if you don't use it in that year you lose it. Mind you, that's not an issue for me because I do end up with legitimate illnesses through the year or needing mental health days.
                I don't know if the Warehouse still does it because, as a part timer, I don't get it but I do get vacation and personal time. Vacation time works like that, that I have to use it or lose it, but my personal time can roll over -- I think only up to a certain amount, though.

Congrats on the new job. I, too, would want to be a fly on the wall when you turn in your notice.
                Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Minor Update

So minor update:

Got the final offer letter, signed it, and sent it back. It's now a done deal.

I'm not submitting my letter of resignation for another couple of months. But I'm relieved to be going.

We had a faculty meeting the other day. We weren't supposed to have one (we usually have them every other week) but the Chair decided we needed to finish chewing over an issue on how we grade exams when we throw an item out. I won't bore you with the details other than to say there are several ways to do it, all of them have pitfalls, and the method I used is recommended by the experts in nursing education but the Chair doesn't like it or understand it.

First she pissed me off by completely mis-telling what happened when I was asked to help grade the Final for her class. When I tried to protest she kept saying, "Let me finish" I had to sit there and think "there's no point in finishing you dumb bitch because what you're saying is so fucking wrong you have no point to make."

I shut up the rest of the meeting. Not my circus, not my monkeys. Finally, DB, my teaching partner bluntly asks her: What do you want us to do? Of course the Chair backtracks, saying she wants consensus, and didn't want to hand down a directive.

Finally the Chair asked for a vote on how we should handle exams when an item is tossed. She kept trying to bully those of us who prefer my way to her way by saying "I want the faculty to come to consensus." Well, there's never going to be consensus in our faculty; we're too divided. The ADN Coordinator surprised me by abstaining from the vote; came right out and said "If I vote it'll be split and we'll have to have a tie breaker." That meant the vote came out in favor of my way.

Chair wasn't happy. She accepted the vote but said if there were "problems" she reserved the right to change the decision.

And she doesn't want to be a dictator

Comment

Makes me glad my direct supervisor pretty much leaves us to our own devices. Which is good because she tends to just make a mess every time she gets involved.

Glad you're getting out of there and congrats on the new job!
                    I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

I've been mostly removed from CS lately but congratulations on the new job. A move is always exciting.

Comment

Quoth KuariKaydrith View Post
                        You're very lucky that they roll over your sick time.
                        Well, and actually based on some research I've done I think I may be wrong that I'll get my sick time. At best I can roll it into years of service with the state, but I may not be able to do even that because I'm too far away from retirement.

That pisses me off. I'm good about not taking sick time when I'm not sick. I have about six weeks worth saved up (I'd have 10 if I hadn't taken off a month for surgery followed immediately by the passing of my father a few years ago) that I'm probably going to lose.

And I have a colleague who takes her sick days as soon as she earns them, then was out for two months with a bad shoulder and is crying because she had to take FMLA.

I swear . . . it just doesn't pay to do the right thing and follow the rules sometimes.

Comment

But at least you've got another, better job and can wash your hands of this house of chaos forever.
                          Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Working...
                          X