Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

From the Department of Fabulous Ideas, comes...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From the Department of Fabulous Ideas, comes...

I'm told this is a new "brand standard" for Elongated Hexagon Inns, and I give it a month at the most before someone complains and it goes by the wayside. But not, I might add, until after we get to watch all the money it cost to implement this new policy circle the bowl a few times before it pops down the drain.

What is this marvelous new brand standard you ask? We're supposed to "connect" with guests' children! How are we supposed to connect with guests' children?

Stickers! Big round, colorful stickers that look like conventioneer badges from hell! With a space to write the kid's name in thick black marker so everyone can see the kid's name! So that it says, "NAME has Elongatedality!"

A few things here.

I'm currently in school to become a forensic social worker. We're the ones you call in after the local pervert saw your kid's name on their clothing or backpack and was able to lure your kid into their proverbial windowless van by calling your kid's name, that you helpfully provided, and then saying that they're a friend of yours and you sent them to pick up your kid. Or some such, because I'm told that kind of thing used to happen back when children were allowed outside unsupervised. And yes, believe me I am well aware that your kid is actually many times more likely, statistically, to come to sexual or physical harm by your hand that they are by a stranger's. Nevertheless, I remember all those "stranger danger" lessons from my own childhood about what a bad idea it is to go around with your name out there for anyone with ill intentions to see.

That's one of the reasons this makes me uneasy. For another, for a hotel desk clerk to try to "connect" with a guest's children is creepy on its face, and if I were the guest, or the child, I know I wouldn't like it. For another, big, colorful stickers only appeal to children up to a certain age, and that age is about five. Past that point, in today's culture -- at least around here where I live -- it's a race to grow up and reach the teenager sneer years. Whoever kills their sense of wonder and achieves disdainful nihilism first wins, and in the meantime you have all these miniature adults glued to their electronics and looking down on a world that bores them senseless. In other words, these stickers won't do much for many.

So, we have big rolls of stickers that cost God knows how much to print that we're supposed to give out, and we're supposed to give them out by "connecting" with guests' children while doing everything else we're supposed to do.

Like I said, I give it a month.
    Last edited by Antisocial_Worker; 05-29-2015, 06:25 PM.
    Drive it like it's a county car.

Obviously, A totally clueless/oblivious/plain stupid persona made this policy. As a sexual assault nurse examiner, I totally agree with your assessment of the situation. I wouldn't allow my kids to wear name stickers in public. Why can't they just buy regular stickers? Kids love stickers.

Comment

i'd ask who the kid's favorite superhero is and write that down.
      Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Don't forget to order a case of Goo-Gone to remove the stickers from elevators, doors, walls........
        There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

Quoth It's me View Post
          Don't forget to order a case of Goo-Gone to remove the stickers from elevators, doors, walls........
          Agreed, these are going to end up getting stuck EVERYWHERE.

And I agree this is creepy beyond words...

Comment

Right when you said stickers I thought "better double your cleaning staff..."

That would probably work in this area, though. My home town had it's issues, but not this one. I was just talking with a classmate about how around here, parents almost get offended if I don't coo over their children. I'm serious. I guess at my work people assume I have kids, or like them, or whatever. But if I don't ask how old they are or mention the kid I think 95% of the time the parent brings it up on their own. Like they don't know what else to talk about, and they don't like silence. I'm not sure I'm explaining it well, it's not that talking about their kids is bad per say... It's just I have really nothing to say about kids, so it's awkward. Sometimes if they're older I might ask what grade they're in, or if they're going to help make whatever project, but that's about all I can muster.

I would be screwed if I was supposed to "connect" with kids.
            Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Why a sticker, of all kinds they could offer kids?! Over here, many stores/restaurants/whatever offer some sweets, a bread roll or a piece of fruit, and the kids LOVE it.
              A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

Quoth NorthernZel View Post
                Why a sticker, of all kinds they could offer kids?! Over here, many stores/restaurants/whatever offer some sweets, a bread roll or a piece of fruit, and the kids LOVE it.
                Well, there could be food issues, allergies or Type 1 diabetes, which makes giving out treats problematic.

Frankly, I think the whole idea is silly. Unless the hotel is at Disney, there's no reason to "connect" with kids. I couldn't do it, that's for sure.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I used stickers in the ER all the time. They make a great reward for allowing you to do something horrible to them, like stick them with needles.

Up to about age 10, max (kids regress a bit when they're sick).

I never had trouble with stickers in places they shouldn't be, but then sick kids aren't usually up to too much mischief.

But this is a horrible idea. You aren't going to connect with a kid you see for five seconds, if that. And in a hotel, mischief is all bored kids have to do.

I'd say this is some new graduate corporate schlub's grand idea to get promoted.
                  They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Well, you could give out pencils or something instead of stickers, but I don't know why you have to give anything away at all.

How many kids actually come up to your check-in desk? My parents would always have Dad check in and Mom wait with us in the car. If we had to walk through the lobby to the room instead of a closer side door, we were carrying luggage. Is the desk clerk supposed to chase after kids with the stickers? Other kids, when forced to come in, will not stand in line. They will sit down and wait or run around. Again, are you supposed to chase after the kids? It sounds terribly impractical.

Comment

Pencils are a bad idea.

One time my parents had put me to bed in my room at Nan's house. I'd apparently woken up before they expected me to, and sometime between them checking on me and finding me asleep, and checking on me and finding me awake, I'd found a pencil ...

... all the room's walls, to as high as I could reach, were beautifully decorated in toddler-art.
                      Seshat's self-help guide:
                      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Unsharpened pencils I meant.

Comment

Working...
                        X