This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's call it plan P

This isn't exactly sucky, but doesn't show great customer service, and it made me giggle, so I guess it belongs here.

There is a gas station on my drive to certain areas that I infrequent, but I'm there enough to note ongoing problems. In this gas station the washrooms are single person rooms, the doors lock automatically when they close, and you need to get the key from the counter to unlock and use. The door then locks behind you while you use it. The lock has been getting worse and worse for the last 6 months or so, and it has taken me upwards of 5 minutes to get my way out of the bathroom on more than 1/2 dozen occasions. I always take a screwdriver in with me now, and I always mention it to the entirely male staff when I am done.

I was there recently, and noticed they 'fixed' the problem. The lock jams just as bad, and you are just as likely to get stuck in the bathroom, but now there is a sign on the wall 'If you cannot exit the bathroom please call NUMBER for assistance'. Good job!

I asked the guy working how the new sign was working out, he said it was good. It wasn't until one woman was locked in the bathroom for over an hour that they realized that the number to the store wasn't listed or on the internet. So they thought by posting the sign they could ensure prompt release of trapped females, who would now know a number to call. It has been a success, they are averaging 4 calls a day since they installed it. If only there was a simpler way to solve this problem.
    Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Quoth NecessaryCatharsis View Post
    If only there was a simpler way to solve this problem.
    It would be a little more expensive than a sign, but they could put in an intercom system. Or maybe install a bell the trapped person could ring.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Someone is trapped for over an HOUR and they can't just fix the lock?? That place has issues.
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

At a gas station they account for every penny. Fixing a lock would cost money, God forbid.
        "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

This might be a stupid question but.....

Why don't they fix the door?
          I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

I think that is forever going to remain one of life's little mysteries. I can't work out a reason myself. Even if you can't afford a new lock, removing the whole lock set and putting in an eye and hook only costs about $3, so I really can't figure it out.
            Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

I wonder if the local fire marshal might want to know about this. I would tend to think that anything that might prevent a customer from exiting in an emergency might be frowned upon.
              Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Bring some WD40 next time. I bet it will fix the lock.

Comment

24" or longer pipe wrench. Apply to locked doorknob. Add cheater bar or just have someone my size(300 lbs, trying to lose, but dang its hard) reef on it. Locking pins will shear off, possibly jamming the lock so it's tongue will never stick out again.

Heck, just apply that screwdriver mentioned. If the lock is no longer there, they're going to have to replace it, lol.

Comment

Reminds of the skiing mountain/valley story. There was a problem of skiers falling over the cliff and the debate was "do we put a fence up on the mountain or an ambulance down in the valley." Lol
                    "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
                      Reminds of the skiing mountain/valley story...
                      A sign with an arrow: "D.I.Y. Flying Lessons"
                      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth mhkohne View Post
                        I wonder if the local fire marshal might want to know about this. I would tend to think that anything that might prevent a customer from exiting in an emergency might be frowned upon.
                        Right? I imagine (at least in this area) that 911 would have been called. I'm not terribly claustrophobic normally, but lock me in a small room and I probably would get a bit panicky.
                        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth NecessaryCatharsis View Post
                          It wasn't until one woman was locked in the bathroom for over an hour that they realized that the number to the store wasn't listed or on the internet.
                          But what happens if someone without a cellphone (or whose phone has a dead battery) gets trapped?

As for the number not being listed or on the internet, customers should already know the number to call if they get trapped - 911. Since the malfunctioning lock would keep someone inside in an emergency, this would bring the "heat" down on the gas station to get it fixed.
                          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

What if someone's phone died? How would they call the number?
                            Last edited by Water; 06-11-2015, 04:37 PM.
                            It's called common sense for a reason

Comment

Working...
                            X