Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crockpot cooking is awesome, also if you do it right one batch can last 2-3 days

Comment

Crockpots are one of the greatest kitchen inventions ever. Dump ingredients, turn on, come back in a few hours and have delicious food. Crockpot chicken pot pie is to die for.
      I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

I second that, but for gluten. I've been mysteriously getting gluten'd (doesn't put me in the hospital, but leaves me in a zombie-esque state for a few days) for several days now, which happened to coincide with when I was taking a specific vitamin (doctor-encouraged.) I got it at a health store, and it explicitly says gluten-free, but far as I can tell, it isn't.

Thankfully, gluten-free is being more and more recognized, and we try to just be nice about it. And since I don't die from it, I can take some risks. Notable times dealing with it, however:

* A waitress at a place we usually go to told us x fries were gluten-free, which technically yes, but they were cross-contaminated during cooking. My mom got sick from them--and she gets migraines, so she's worse off than I am.

Next time I went there she tried to get me to have those fries, insisting they were gluten free. After I informed her they got my mother sick, she just kinda went "I guess I should stop saying they're gluten free, then."

The other was when I was at Wendys--which is the only fast food chain where we feel relatively safe getting food from, even if it's a baconator or a grilled chicken sans bun. The wait staff has started to recognize me, as I come in, order both of them (one for me and one for mom) eat one there, then head out.

Cashier: You want no-bun, right?
        Me: well, I kinda need it, but yes.

I was pretty impressed with a Wendys I saw in Ohio though. When we ordered a no-bun meal, they asked if it was for an allergy. When we said yes, they ripped off their gloves and put on new ones to do our order.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
          Do you like roasting and savoury baking? Noone ever said all your meals had to be cooktop meals... oven meals can be perfectly healthy!
          I have to know what is savory baking? Baking is typically sweet and savory is typically not sweet. Are you talking like zucchini bread and stuff like that?
          https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
          Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Meat pies, meatloaf, baked casseroles ... that sort of thing.
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
              Meat pies, meatloaf, baked casseroles ... that sort of thing.
              OH that kind of stuff ok thanks
              https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
              Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

My friends kids can't eat tree nuts or they swell up but they can eat peanuts just fine!

Sorry about your allergies. I have several also but they don't affect my breathing.
                ''Sugar cane and coffee cups, copper, steel, and cattle. An annotated history the forest for the fire. Where we propagate confusion primitive and wild. Welcome to the occupation''

Comment

Quoth Rock Lobster View Post
                  My friends kids can't eat tree nuts or they swell up but they can eat peanuts just fine!

Sorry about your allergies. I have several also but they don't affect my breathing.
                  You can make a perfectly lovely baklavah with peanuts instead of tree nuts - I have done it for an allergic friend of mine
                  EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                    You can make a perfectly lovely baklavah with peanuts instead of tree nuts - I have done it for an allergic friend of mine
                    It's amazing what you can start substituting if you know enough about cooking and start experimenting. I mentioned somewhere upthread that Jester concocted a spaghetti sauce for me that contained no tomatoes at all, yet tasted almost identical to a "real" red sauce. I'd have never been able to do that on my own, but he's a good cook and saw it as a challenge, and I get to eat spaghetti again.
                    At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth Rock Lobster View Post
                      Not surprising, since peanuts are part of the legume family (the same family as peas and beans) - they're not related to nut trees. Also, cashews are related to poison ivy, so anyone with a more severe than average reaction to the ivy should stay away from them.
                      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
                        It's amazing what you can start substituting if you know enough about cooking and start experimenting. I mentioned somewhere upthread that Jester concocted a spaghetti sauce for me that contained no tomatoes at all, yet tasted almost identical to a "real" red sauce. I'd have never been able to do that on my own, but he's a good cook and saw it as a challenge, and I get to eat spaghetti again.
                        My BFF's mom would make 'white spaghetti' the sauce was made using cream of mushroom soup as the base.
                        Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Quoth Cia View Post
                          My BFF's mom would make 'white spaghetti' the sauce was made using cream of mushroom soup as the base.

I have several white sauce recipes, but the idea of "real" spaghetti, I thought, was something I'd never be able to have again.

How very, very wrong I was. Thank heavens for good, creative cooks who like a challenge! And even more thanks that I know at least one of them.

Actually, that's what I'm cooking for dinner tomorrow night.
                          At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                            It can also be done with roasted soy nuts. I don't recall hearing many people being allergic to soy.
                            Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
                              It can also be done with roasted soy nuts. I don't recall hearing many people being allergic to soy.
                              My husband and I both have a (relatively minor) allergy to soy. We found out when we bought an organic iced chai drink made with soy milk; both of us tried it, and both of us got an itchy nose/ears/throat/lips/mouth reaction (known as oral allergy syndrome.) We later had allergy tests done and soy popped for both of us.

Comment

Quoth MaggieTheCat View Post
                                My husband and I both have a (relatively minor) allergy to soy.
                                There's a nay-sayer in every crowd.

I'm just glad my own allergy isn't too bad. I have to actually ingest peanuts to get the rash, jitters, and various gastrointestinal distresses and a big dose of Benadryl and Tagamet (cimetidine) will usually be enough for me to recover without having to go to the ER. I dread the day I might have to actually use my epipen.

I've also learned that while most products that say "made in a factory that also processes peanuts; may contain trace amounts of peanuts" (like M&Ms), I'm okay to eat the product, but I can't risk anything made by Walmart's Great Value brand that says that. Their idea of "trace" is enough to set my allergy off every time.
                                Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Working...
                                X