This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Treasure View Post
    Yes folks you read that right, 10 days before Christmas and the temperature is supposed to be almost 80!!!!
    Hehe last year, it was 70 F on Christmas Day. Warm enough...that a certain toy came out of the garage, and jackets weren't required. Of course, we all know what happened in February....we got 3 feet of snow
    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Finally heard the news......22 inches of snow we got. That's right. And -25 or worse with windchills for the next two days, then another big dump of snow on Wednesday/Thursday.

And most roads are still so half ass plowed, you can't see without pulling halfway into intersections, some roads and intersections are just absolute glare ice, and they still haven't came to clean up the damn parking lot here.....
      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

It's been close to 60 for a high here the last couple of days...so it's warm compared to what it usually does. I wonder if we'll get hit with a bunch of shit next month maybe...hard to know around here.
        https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
        Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
          WHY would you do that to yourselves?!?!?
          Hubby works in a field that has large concentrations of employers in those cities and much smaller concentrations of employers in other areas. Too bad he likes his job; otherwise, I would try to talk him into running away with me to some tropical paradise.

Comment

Well, it's official....we broke a record. The most snow ever to fall in a 24 hour period.

It can't be said enough, fuck you Mother Nature!

Comment

Quoth Bella_Vixen View Post
              RM, one of the harbingers of the apocalypse happened where I live.

The street I live on never gets plowed. Or, as Becks put it, they plaw but the blade isn't all the way down.

Today, the city plowed our street. Twice. But only one block of it. When you get to the end of the block going south, you run into snow.

Looks like I'll have to take the long way to work.
              we have a few of those over on the west side too. one street is one block long (if they decide to plow at all) and gets ruts about a foot deep in them and I scrape the underside of my car when delivering.

STUPID one block dead-end streets.
              I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
              -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
                Well, it's official....we broke a record. The most snow ever to fall in a 24 hour period.

It can't be said enough, fuck you Mother Nature!
                What's gonna happen when all that snow melts?? Aren' t you going to have flooding problems?
                https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Not anymore, because the DNR won't let us dump snow in the river anymore

I'll get back to you on that in about.......oh hell, at this rate, May.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                    So tomorrow's supposed to be the second busiest shopping day of the year, with doorbusters and over $100,000 in sales forecast...
                    It was my understanding that the second busiest shopping day is the Saturday before Christmas... which would be this COMING Saturday, the 18th of December. I'm now very confused.
                    "Eventually one outgrows the fairy tales of childhood, belief in Santa and the Easter Bunny, and believing that SCs are even capable of imagining themselves in our position."
                    --StanFlouride

Comment

Quoth Jack T. Chance View Post
                      It was my understanding that the second busiest shopping day is the Saturday before Christmas... which would be this COMING Saturday, the 18th of December. I'm now very confused.
                      Depends on the store. My company ran a ginormous one-day sale last Saturday; thus the sales forecast was higher than it will be this Saturday.

This Saturday has a good chance to be busier than last Saturday simply because there's no snowstorm forecast. But I haven't seen an ad for Saturday, if there is one.
                      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

AMG.

So the plan for tomorrow was to drive to JoCo (KC suburbs), do all my Christmas shopping, and meet Fiance for lunch. Tonight, after dinner, we were goofing around on our computers (and watching the strangely dark Family Guy Christmas special) when we decided to go out for ice cream. I happened to check Facebook at that very moment....only to read a deluge of statii from friends about how dangerous the roads were.

Apparently, in my haze of grading and final papers, I had missed the fact that there was a freakin' ICE STORM tonight. *headdesk* The main highway that Fiance takes to work (and that I was planning on driving on tomorrow) is an ice rink. And that means the roads in town will be horrible, because the city hasn't quite figured out that salt melts ice and gives traction. *sigh*

What's even more fun is the fact that we really don't have much in the way of groceries. We have food, but if we can't make it to the store tomorrow dinner's going to be....interesting. (Let's see, I have soup...sausage....bread..and frozen veggies....)

Oh, and since we couldn't get ice cream, I thought, "Hey, I have brownie mix, let's make brownies!" And then I realized I ran out of eggs. And then I realized I had egg whites! There's a definite difference, but they taste pretty good anyway.
                        "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                        Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Are you fucking kidding me, Frosty?

Seriously, 5-7 more inches for tomorrow into Tuesday, and then another winter storm following it that will drop Thursday into Friday.

Yay, more bad roads and lack of plowing and snow removal. As if two feet wasn't enough already.

No, there won't be any flooding this spring at all.

Comment

Today coming home from the bar in my shorts and football jersey was actually almost chilly enough to warrant a sweatshirt.

Almost.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                            Still A Customer."

Comment

It's been snowing more or less continuously for the past several days here. I have about 6 inches of snow on top of my balcony rail, which is only two inches wide. Some nearby buildings have small cornices on some of their eaves, and the outside wash-house has about 2 feet of snow on top of it.

The railway reported that a few long-distance trains were running half an hour late yesterday. By implication, this means that the other several dozen long-distance trains ran more-or-less on time, and that the commuter services were also running reasonably well.

The buses also seem to be running. There's a long list of early morning cancellations, but this is a small fraction of the total service, and there are fewer of them with more recent timestamps - I'm willing to bet they just had trouble getting the engines started. In this kind of weather, they don't keep to a strict timetable, but just try to keep the service alive.

It looks like the trams are running normally, as are the ferries (despite growing ice cover on the sea) and the Metro.

So as long as I can keep my cough down long enough - residue of a fever I've beem stuck in bed with - I'll be going to work as usual today.

Comment

Mr Barefoot is working from home today - he's working in Coventry at the moment and left home at 7am to get there....and slid home at 7.30am, having failed to get 2 miles. The motorways are fairly clear, but actually getting onto them is a different story. The snow is fine, but the sheet ice coating the roads is quite lethal.
                                A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
                                - Dave Barry

Comment

Working...
                                X