This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr. Mis is having emergency surgery

Mr. Mis woke with unbearable pain, which I put down to a stomach virus, but when he asked me to take him to the urgency center I knew something was very wrong.

They took one look at him and sent him by ambulance to the main hospital, which I followed in our car.

They gave him pain medications at the hospital, which made him slur his speech and want to call all his friends. I took his cell phone away and he went to sleep.

The ER doctors told us Mr. Mis has appendicitis and it needed to come out right away. I was a bit taken aback since I always thought of appendicitis as something that happens to children or teens not 60 year old men.

Anyway, I had to come home to feed the cubs and let them know what is going on with their dad. They all had the house cleaned up, dishes done, beds made and laundry done. I guess they felt the need to be doing something.

I'm still waiting to hear from the surgeon as to how the surgery went. It's almost midnight and I'm trying not to cry thinking something has gone wrong and I will have lost the love of my life. We have been together almost 21 years now and I can't' imagine my life without him.
    Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Though appendicitis is more common in kids, it can happen at any time. The good thing, though, is that it was caught so quickly. If left untreated, the appendix can rupture. And that is really not good. I had it myself back in 5th grade, and they operated on me the day that I felt the pain.

It's a pretty routine operation, and they would have definitely called you if something had gone bad. That being said, waiting to hear back about anything medical related is always scary indeed. *hugs and gives hot cocoa*
    "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

I'm not sure what to say, but * hugs tightly* .
      I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

Hugs, and good thoughts.
        The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

*big hugs* I'm sure everything is fine. Don't dwell on what "might" happen or you'll drive yourself crazy...the night before I had my gall bladder surgery, I couldn't sleep worrying that something would happen. But I came through it fine. It DID take the surgeon longer than normal to remove mine since mine was very inflamed and infected. I was fine after it was out but he wanted to make sure to be very careful during the surgery so the infection wouldn't spread to my surrounding organs. Maybe something similar happened to your husband -- they're just making sure to be very thorough before finishing and calling you.

Keep us updated...I will be keeping you and your family in my thoughts.

Comment

Thanks guys. I do tend to be worst case senerio type worrier and he is the one who always calms me down,

I just wish the surgeon would call me and let me know what is going on.

Comment

*hugs*

I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

(hugs) from me as well. But it sounds to me like things were dealt with early - honestly, if the person goes when the pain is godawful, it means nothing ruptured yet. Pain for a long while, sudden relief, and more pain three days later usually is bad and a sign of rupture.

But I'd say getting the appendix out is about as routine as getting one's tonsils out - it's one of those organs that just gets removed so frequently that it's not something that carries loads of risks. I'm sure everything went just fine, but it's by no means fun to have to wait for an update.

Comment

I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                  Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                  Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Thank you all for your words of comfort and hugs. I am still waiting for the surgeon to call. I can't go to sleep without knowing Mr. Mis is okay.

Comment

Even though Mr. Mis is an older patient, which you undoubtedly know by now carries its' own risks, think about this:
                      What would it have been like when he was the 'right age' forty-five years ago (give or take)?
                      I seem to recall that medicine nowadays is a wee bit better than in the 1960's. Especially for older patients.
                      Add to that the appendix-removal is 'routine,' and the only problems come in when it's ruptured or there's a hospital infection (which hospitals are getting on top of, iirc)... not a whole lot can go wrong.
                      You'll have to tell the kids to not hop on pop tho.
                      "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                      "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

I just called the hospital and talked to Mr. Mis's nurse and she is not happy that someone didn't call me to let me know what was going on and she is writing it up.

Mr. Mis was out of surgery by 10:00 PM and all this time I'm losing my mind thinking something happened. Luckily, he is okay.

The appendix was stuck a bit and did spill some but they got it out and now have him on antibiotics and pain medication. He is sleeping well and the nurse will let him know I called.

Thank you all for the moral support. I really did need it. You guys are the best.

Comment

Wishing you both good thoughts.
                          ~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

Comment

Glad to hear Mr. Mis is OK, and sorry to hear the surgeon didn't call you. He should have; I'm glad the nurse wrote it up.

Given the situation they'll probably keep him in the hospital a day or two, and send him home on antibiotics. They may keep him a bit longer if they want to be absolutely sure no infection.

Do you know if they did an open or a laporascopic procedure? The latter is the one where they make several small holes and use a camera to get the appendix out. That's usually how it is done unless the appendix has ruptured or they have too much difficulty getting it out.

The reason I ask is there are differences in how he will recover. If they did the laporoscope, then his recovery should be quicker and less painful. The worst part of the lap procedure is not pain from the incisions, but pain from the gas they use to make room to work. I found this out when I had my gall bladder out. I was only uncomfortable for a few days, though.

Either way, as soon as the nurses say he is ready he needs to get up and WALK! It will help him heal faster, and it will restore normal bowel functioning. If he had a open procedure, he will not want to walk . . . you will have to push him.

He'll probably have to take a few weeks off from work. General anesthesia stays in your system for a long time, and he will feel tired and washed out . . . that, plus the healing incision will make it hard to go to work. I was out two weeks after my gallbladder . . . had it out on a Friday, went to work Monday, and went home by noon because I felt so bad.

Again, glad to hear everything is working out OK . . . will keep you and Mr. Mis in my thoughts.
                            They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

It's good to hear that the surgery went well! I'm glad that he's okay, but the surgeon should have kept his word and called you. *Bigs hugs for you and your family*
                              Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

Working...
                              X