This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I *COUGH* quit *COUGH* smoking!*COUGH COUGH*

Almost 4 weeks now & I've developed a nasty dry cough.The 1st week or so I knew I was coughing up all the crap in my lungs & it felt good,'specially since I started an exercise regime too.But the last week has been hell,Mrs Frantic the RPh 1st said it was because the juniper/cedar pollen was so high that it was even bothering people that weren't allergic.
    Then yesterday she told me they'd discussed it at work & turns out my blood pressure med (Lisinopril) would give the same symptoms I've got,a scratchy throat makin' me cough,so she's gonna talk to my Dr about changin' my med,we'll see how it goes.

Of course over the years I've used the Mark Twain method of quitting ("Quitting smoking is easy,I've done it 100 times!" ) but this time's been the easiest so far,I really don't miss it as much.I *cough* really do *cough* feel better! *cough cough*
    "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

It seems everyone is sick. I hope things work out for you witht he changing of the meds. Also I hope you really do quit smoking.
    My sanity has been dripping out of me my whole life, today they turned on the faucet.....

Comment

Good for you for quitting. I do know that a lot of smokers get a cough as their lungs clear, so hang in there!

Comment

New Mexico's dry, right? Try a humidifier, or a small closed-in area with boiling water going to get humidity.
        Also, while I love cedars and junipers... ! So glad I don't live down there right now! Up north of you a few hundred miles, I have enough issues with the sagebrushes...
        Also-- YAY! you aren't beholden to cancer-sticks any longer!
        "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
        "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Kudos on quitting, Freddie!

Yeah, the Lisinopril sounds scary . . . but how long have you been on it? If you've been on it awhile, and your symptoms started with the upper respiratory infection and pollen season, then it may or may not be the problem. Still, better safe than sorry . . . if your doctor recommends something else, I'd move to that.

Have you tried anti-histamines (the non-BP raising kind)? Did they work?

Have you seen a doctor for this? He might want a chest xray to rule out pneumonia or asthma, or to try you on a course of antibiotics. 4 weeks is a long time to cough like that.

What color is your sputum? Do you have night sweats? Have you suddenly lost weight? Have you had a TB test recently?

I think you need a complete workup given the many different issues it could be with a 4 week history of the problem.

Hope you start feeling better soon, and that you stick with the non-smoking and lose the weight you want to.
          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
            Kudos on quitting, Freddie!

Yeah, the Lisinopril sounds scary . . . but how long have you been on it? If you've been on it awhile, and your symptoms started with the upper respiratory infection and pollen season, then it may or may not be the problem. Still, better safe than sorry . . . if your doctor recommends something else, I'd move to that.

Have you tried anti-histamines (the non-BP raising kind)? Did they work?

Have you seen a doctor for this? He might want a chest xray to rule out pneumonia or asthma, or to try you on a course of antibiotics. 4 weeks is a long time to cough like that.

What color is your sputum? Do you have night sweats? Have you suddenly lost weight? Have you had a TB test recently?

I think you need a complete workup given the many different issues it could be with a 4 week history of the problem.

Hope you start feeling better soon, and that you stick with the non-smoking and lose the weight you want to.
            I've been on Lisinopril for about 3 years now since my Dr noticed I was about to imitate a horny toad Losin' nearly 30 lbs also helped a lot with my BP,it's pretty much normal now.

Yep,takin' anti-histamines just in case it is the pollen,they help some.

Had a chest X-ray 2 weeks ago,along with blood test,aside from slightly elevated cholesterol everything's fine.Decided to lay off my twice a week fast food burger habit & eat more oatmeal,yuch.

I have night sweats 'cause I'm a drunk

Thanks for the concern,I've been seein' my Dr every 2 weeks for the last 6 for some skin problems (there was no sunscreen when I was growin' up & I've lived all my life in sunny climes),but overall I'm in pretty good shape & gettin' better for a man my age.
            "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Comment

Remember that nicotine is a drug of sorts, and interacts with your body and with other drugs; you may need to adjust your other medications to compensate. It's possible you may have to lower or discontinue any blood pressure medication.

Comment

Thanks again folks & I'd like to remind y'all my wife is a pharmacist,she's the one who I go whining to on the rare occasions that I get sick [whiney voice]"I don't feel good,tell me what to take!"[/whiney voice]

Mark Twain

Comment

you've also been taking a cough suppressant for many years as well, I mean, what better way to get rid of the irritating morning cough than the first cigarette of the day. By the way, it will be 2 months for me coming up here in a couple of weeks. It only gets better.

Comment

Well it's morphed into a full-blown head cold.Alternately running & stopped up nose & sinuses,my head feels like a balloon,massive headache,think I'll go back to bed.
                    So much for my plans today.

Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X