This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I politely tell someone "that's not my job."

This isn't work related either, it's for church. I have a position currently that is only peripherally connected to the music jobs. I have been getting some emails from someone in charge that are gradually veering to asking me to do something that really isn't my job. There are people already in place for that.

It may not happen and I may be worrying too soon but, yeah, if it happens how to I politely refuse and redirect without sounding accusatory or unhelpful?
    My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.---Cary Grant

"I currently have x,y and z to get finished; would (people who are supposed to handle this thing) be able to handle that? I can't promise that I will be able to."

Then again, I'm used to, and usually have to go to "that isn't my job; do it yourself" right off the bat at my job.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

"Of course I'm happy to keep helping with (thing that is your job). Regarding (thing that isn't your job), I would like to give you Other Person's contact information. This person is in charge of (thing that isn't your job) and would love to hear from you!"

Changing anything to suit your situation. The thought to convey is that you are not being unhelpful, you are being helpful by directing him/her to a person who is more able to help.
      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

"Actually, so-and-so is in charge of that and I wouldn't want to step on their toes."

Any variant of that so it seems like you are just trying to be considerate.
        "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

X is Person in charge's responsibility, do you need his/her contact information.

Comment

Maybe even contact the people whose job it is to do that stuff -- Make it clear to THEM that you don't want to infringe upon their "turf"/specialty. Suggest that they contact the boss; in the meantime, tell the boss that you have passed on his request. Dollars to doughnuts, he is trying to get YOU to do it because you cost less.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

When this happens to me at work I just tell them that "Joe Schmo" is the person who handles that, I will forward your email to him. Then I do so. Usually it turns out that "Joe" has handled this person's business numerous times in the past, so the customer (1) had a brain fart and forgot; (2) couldn't remember Joe's name or couldn't find his contact info; or (3) is trying to find a way around paying what they're supposed to pay, as EricKei suggested.
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

No, this is church so there's no cost involved. So far, though, the conversation seems to have ended with that last e-mail and nothing more has been asked of me. Hopefully this is over.

Basically what happened is the emails seemed to be heading in a direction where I was going to be asked to find a substitute pianist for the children's Sunday School. In every congregation of my church I've ever been in, you find your own substitute, no matter what your position is. Chorister, Organist, Sunday School teacher, Pianist--you find your own substitute. I wasn't about to take that on, especially since each pianist has a list of people who have volunteered to cover. (I didn't know that when I posted which is why I didn't mention it.)
                My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.---Cary Grant

Comment

Working...
                X