This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I suck at being a grownup

Today I have to rent a car to drive up to LA to get the stuff out of my old car, then call the wreckers to take it away from the mechanic's. I've never had to do any of this before (except rent a car), and I HATE it.

Had to max out my remaining credit at my bank to put enough money on my card for the car--they require a $300 hold while the car is out.

And after this, I still have to try to get another car, and file for unemployment. Anyone want to do it for me? Joking! Mostly....

*headdesk*
    "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Stuff like that is why I became a procrastinator ...

Comment

You do not suck at being an adult. You are being very grown up about everything and taking care of what you need to do.

I vote you have something silly for dinner, like ice cream.
      Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

Quoth JoitheArtist View Post
        Today I have to rent a car to drive up to LA to get the stuff out of my old car, then call the wreckers to take it away from the mechanic's. I've never had to do any of this before (except rent a car), and I HATE it.
        Being a grownup means that when there's gunk in the kitchen sink plughole, you're the one who has to remove it. It doesn't mean you have to enjoy it.

You're doing this. That's what makes you a grownup. Enjoying it would make you a masochist.

(Me? I'm killing time until it's time to go and get my girly plumbing looked at, for prep for almost certain surgery. No, I'm not enjoying that, either.)
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I just applied for a mortgage.
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Just got back from dealing with the car. Enterprise was a frickin' 70 minutes late picking me up!! Yuk. Had to clean out my car and wait an hour for the Pick-A-Part truck to come get my car.

Felt sick to my stomach to send it off to the junkyard for $450. Poor little car. It really did serve me well for 7 years, until its little heart gave out. I'm actually trying not to cry over the stupid car. I miss it. I liked it. I liked its shape, its handling, the awesome bumper stickers I put on it...
            "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

Comment

I still miss my old Prizm that got killed 9 years ago. I like my car but...I still miss it.
              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

When my first car died (ice storm accident), I cried. We can get emotionally tied to vehicles because they make us feel safe, are with us every day, and take up our resources, as well as being part of some good memories. It's perfectly ok to cry.
                "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth JoitheArtist View Post
                  Poor little car. It really did serve me well for 7 years, until its little heart gave out. I'm actually trying not to cry over the stupid car. I miss it. I liked it. I liked its shape, its handling, the awesome bumper stickers I put on it...
                  Quoth Food Lady View Post
                  When my first car died (ice storm accident), I cried. We can get emotionally tied to vehicles because they make us feel safe, are with us every day, and take up our resources, as well as being part of some good memories. It's perfectly ok to cry.
                  I get this. I tend to choose my cars as much for personality as the research I put in. My S-10, which looked like it had been beaten with a compact car on the front end. The Ranger that looked a bit flashy, but backed it up with ability and agility. My little Cube, that my friends call the Tardis (feels much bigger inside than it looks), and has some beauty marks from the golf-ball + sized hail storm earlier this year.

I drove the trucks until they started falling apart, over 150K miles each. They literally were not worth the price to repair them anymore. I drove each for over ten years. I plan the same with the Cube. I get being attached to a car after that long.
                  The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                  "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                  Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

I think for me it was two things:

1. I had this car for 8 years. That's as long as I've lived in any town.

2. That car gave me the freedom and mobility to start building a life for myself in SoCal: making friends who lived in different towns, finding new restaurants, etc. Couldn't have done it without that car. Siiiiiiiiiigh.

Comment

I hope you have pictures of her. I wish I had more of my favorite car.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                        We can get emotionally tied to vehicles because they make us feel safe, are with us every day, and take up our resources, as well as being part of some good memories. It's perfectly ok to cry.
                        Agreed. I still miss my first car, and it's been over twenty years.
                        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                        My LiveJournal
                        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                          I like my car but...I still miss it.
                          I still miss my first car--a dark blue '91 Tercel coupe. Bought that during my senior year of high school...after my dad's '87 Tempo destroyed itself. Kept the Tercel all through college, and the first 2 years after I'd started my current job. By then, even though the car still looked like new, it was wearing out. There were some electrical issues, and when it started burning oil...I decided that it had to go, since I couldn't afford to be either without a car, or have the engine rebuilt The new Mazda that replaced it in '00 was a great driver's car (they weren't kidding over the "BMW verve at half the price claims...trust me), but a pain in the ass to work on. Do I miss that as much as the Tercel? Not so much. You never forget your first, even after 12 years, and if I could get that car back...I would. Not sure where I'd put it, since I wouldn't sell my dad's MG for the garage space either
                          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
                          X