X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Blasphemy! I should cast you out or smite you or something."

- Q, episode ?

Q always was one of my favorite characters.

Comment

Actually, I believe the worst episode of the original series was the one about Jack the Ripper. Chiefly because they made a point of saying that the killer went after women because "they get frightened more easily than men."

Zero points for progressive thinking, Roddenberry.

Of course that was pretty obvious anyway from the miniskirts & boots, and the fact that he gave in to the network when they nixed the female first officer in the pilot (played by Majel Roddenberry, who got demoted to Nurse Chapel!)
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

One of my favorite quotes is from First Contact, courtesy of the EMH: "I'm a doctor, not a doorstop!"

Quoth MoonCat View Post
        Actually, I believe the worst episode of the original series was the one about Jack the Ripper.
        Ah, but I never claimed Spock's Brain was the worst, just one of the worse ones.
        "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
        - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth xaenon View Post
          You and me both, brother. Eons ago, I had an official 'Star Trek' edition of TRIVIAL PURSUIT. This was before TNG aired, so it just reference the original show - and I had an 'impressive command of thoroughly useless information' (to paraphrase Calvin).
          I watched ST:TOS series on TV (NBC first run 1966 - 1969) and then ODd on reruns a local inddie TV station played until ST: TNG came out.
          I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
          -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Star Trek II:
            "KHAAAAAAAAAN!"

Star Trek TNG Insurrection:
            Worf: "Definitely feeling aggressive tendencies, sir!"

Star Trek TNG:
            Data: "There is a rather peculiar limerick being delivered by someone in the shuttlecraft bay. I am not certain I understand it. 'There was a young woman from Venus, whose body was shaped like a---'"
            Picard:"Captain to security, come in!"

Data: "If you prick me, do I not...leak?"

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
              Actually, I believe the worst episode of the original series was the one about Jack the Ripper. Chiefly because they made a point of saying that the killer went after women because "they get frightened more easily than men."

Zero points for progressive thinking, Roddenberry.

Of course that was pretty obvious anyway from the miniskirts & boots, and the fact that he gave in to the network when they nixed the female first officer in the pilot (played by Majel Roddenberry, who got demoted to Nurse Chapel!)
              Oh, now, let's be fair about this.

As to the 'Jack the Ripper' bit - I think you might be misinterpreting what was said. I believe the point was the Jack The Ripper creature PERCEIVED women as being easier to frighten. STAR TREK, I felt, had a good showing of strong, capable women in the Enterprise crew. I'd hate to think Starfleet would be a throwback to such a moldy mindset.

Networks at the time as a general rule weren't all that forward thinking (and to some degree STILL aren't) Broadcast Standards & Practices would break into a cold sweat at anything even HINTING at controversial. Mustn't upset the sponsors, after all, and it was widely known that sponsors often had the last say in what they would - and would NOT - sponsor. Heavy on the 'would NOT'. Roddenberry, I'm sure, had to make major changes to his idea if he wanted the show to air at all. Remember, at the time, the networks were full of far more 'mundane' (read 'safe') fare - westerns, cop shows, sitcoms, and the news. Science fiction wasn't nearly as mainstream then as it is now, and for a writer to pitch a sci-fi show at that time was an uphill battle, to put it mildly. The other 'big' sci-fi show of the era, lest we forget, was LOST IN SPACE, which,.... you know what? Go ahead and forget it. A JOKE, people - I'm just making a joke! You have to admit, though, it WAS the new standard for 'cheesy'.

Roddenberry lost the battle when it came to his wife being cast as executive officer - but he DID get Nichelle Nichols onto the show as a BLACK, FEMALE commissioned officer of the Enterprise crew. Not just ANY officer, either - a department head - an independent, capable member of the command staff. This was something that created quite a bit of a stir at the networks, because that was definitely flying in the face of 'convention'. That he could pull that one off, I'd say, qualifies as being 'progressive'.

I want to say that Kirk/Uhura's (admittedly forced) interracial kiss was a television first - but I think there might be some debate about that. Definitely ONE of the first, though, and enough to cause quite a bit of heartburn in markets south of the Mason-Dixon line, if I remember correctly.

The miniskirt thing? Not so much an issue of 'progressive' or not - they were in fashion at the time. There are arguments out there claiming that a miniskirt was sexist or that it was progressive - there are valid points either way. But women WERE wearing them at the time, so why NOT miniskirt uniforms? It certainly had appeal to the male audience, which is probably why it was implemented, true enough. Whether it was Roddenberry's idea or not - I've no idea. If you look at the original pilot, the female crew were wearing trousers, same as the males.

Remember, the original STAR TREK was a product of its era - network censors, sponsors, Nielsen ratings, and all. You want to hear about controversial? Look up an old show called LAUGH-IN. If you can find an episode or two to watch, you'll see it's actually very tame by today's standards, but back then - it was VERY progressive. There's a semi-joke that it was the first television show in history to have its own in-house censor. I had an episode on VHS in which a black regular-cast member named Chelsea speaks to guest star James Garner onstage. "I'd give you a kiss, Mr. Garner, but the network won't let me." Garner replies, "Oh, I understand - my place or yours?" I'm told that one damn near got the show yanked off the air.

Sorry, I didn't mean for this to be the dissertation it turned into. As low-budget and cheesy as the original show was, it was my favorite (and still ranks high as one of my favorites). Yes, I'm a geek. Or is it 'nerd'? I forget. Probably both, anyway.
              Last edited by xaenon; 09-07-2011, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Quoth xaenon View Post
                The miniskirt thing? Not so much an issue of 'progressive' or not - they were in fashion at the time. There are arguments out there claiming that a miniskirt was sexist or that it was progressive - there are valid points either way. But women WERE wearing them at the time, so why NOT miniskirt uniforms? It certainly had appeal to the male audience, which is probably why it was implemented, true enough. Whether it was Roddenberry's idea or not - I've no idea. If you look at the original pilot, the female crew were wearing trousers, same as the males.

but if you observe closely the female uniforms were not TRUE mini-skirts. they were more like Skorts. yes they did have the mini-skirt on the outside but underneath were shorts.
                I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Q:"Anyway, where was I?"

Korvat:"Leaving?"

(Again, from the earlier-referenced story. PM if you want a link; It's rather interesting to have a Cardassian in the Federation)

Comment

Data to Riker: "What are your intentions toward my daughter?"

TNG - "The Offspring". Lal was awesome. I cried at the end of that one.
                    The original Cookie in a multitude of cookies.

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
                      but if you observe closely the female uniforms were not TRUE mini-skirts. they were more like Skorts. yes they did have the mini-skirt on the outside but underneath were shorts.
                      I'm not sure I'd call them shorts, really - but you're right, definitely not underwear. I guess I'd liken them to the 'spankies' cheerleaders wear under their skirts.

Amazing, isn't it, how this thread went from memorable Star Trek quotes to a discussion about Starfleet underwear?

Comment

Quoth DS9 "In the Pale Moonlight"
                        Sisko: Who's watching Tolar??

Garak: I've locked him in his quarters. I've also left him with the distinct impression that should he attempt to force the door open, it may explode.

Sisko: I hope that's just an impression!

Garak: It's best not to dwell on such minutiae
                        I've always liked that one.

<Mod hat on>

By the way, if anyone wants to continue the discussion of the sexist aspects of the original Star Trek, that needs to be taken to Fratching.
                        "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Q: I would like 10 chocolate sundaes.
                          Data: I have never seen anyone eat 10 chocolate sundaes.
                          Q: I am in a really bad mood...
                          Lister: This is Crazy. Why are we talking about going to bed with Wilma Flintstone?
                          Cat: You're right. We're Nuts! This is an insane conversation....
                          Lister: She'll never leave Fred and we know it.

Comment

"How are you feeling, Sir?"

"Like billions of minds were seconds away from marching through my cerebral cortex simultaneously. With muddy cleats on."

"That well?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now, about that tribble collective you're the queen of…"

"Oh, you... uh, you noticed that. They're-"
                            Last edited by Salted Grump; 09-08-2011, 06:29 PM. Reason: Little addon that made me smile

Comment

One of my favorites comes from TNG "Deja-Q", after Q has been turned human by the Continuum, and left on the Enterprise-D. Naturally, nobody on the crew believes him, and this ensues:

Q: What must I do to convince you people?!
                              Worf: Die.
                              Q: Oh, very clever, Worf. Eat any good books lately?

And, of course, there's always this classic from DS9 (the same episode Dave1982 quoted above, oddly enough):

Senator Vreenak: It's a FAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!!!!!

Goofy music!
                              Old tech junk!

Comment

"I want him back in one piece."

"At the first sign of treachery, I *WILL* kill him, but I promise I'll bring back his body."

"I assume that's a joke."

"We shall see."

- Worf and Sisko.

- - -
                                "You are both wrong. The only real question is whether you believe in the legend of Davy Crockett or not. If you do, then there should be no doubt in your mind that he died a hero's death. If you do not believe in the legend, then he was just a man, and it does not matter how he died. "

- Worf
                                Last edited by xaenon; 09-09-2011, 08:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X