This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Balloons!!!

This weekend is the start of the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta,the oldest & largest gathering of hot air balloons in the world.You can see live vid at KOBTV's site (they're broadcasting in HD for the 1st time) on the weekend.

Yes,we've been up,my wife's SIL is a pilot & we've crewed for her.That's how you get a ride if you can't afford it,volunteer for crew.

After your 1st flight you have to go through a ritual that while it varies by crew,involves saying the Ballonist's Prayer:

The winds have welcomed you with softness
    The sun has blessed you with its warm hands
    You have flown so high and so well
    That God has joined you in your laughter
    and set you gently back into the loving arms of mother earth.

They they pour champagne on your head & rub dirt into it ,then you drink more champagne...at 10am!!!

I've played for the Fiesta,the most memorable was when we played for the Balloon Glow,a nighttime event where 200-300 balloons are tethered & at a signal,all light off their burners at once.The noise is incredible but the sight'll take your breath away.

That night the owners of the Old Grandad balloon (one of the Special Shapes gave us an entire case of their fine liquor,we weren't playin' real well by the end of it

It really is one of the most spectacular sights you'll ever see (also the most photographed event in the world),it's something I recommend to anyone.
    "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

I'm jealous! I've always wanted to see that.
    My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.---Cary Grant

Comment

A co-worker is attending the event with her husband. She promised to bring back photos and some goodies since I'm covering her shifts.

Comment

A political convention!

Lit gasbags.
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
        X