Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Permission? Work orders? Who needs em! TIMBEEEERRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not the first time I have heard of a landscaping / logging company pulling this kind of BS. Atleast the laws in NH are written in her favor.

Comment

When someone changes their story drastically like that, it never looks good for them. You have to figure out which - if either - of the stories are actually true. At the very least, you know they have something important to hide.

I did an online course on forensics a while ago, which used a mocked-up murder case (based broadly on a real one) to illustrate all the principles involved. At the end, an abbreviated presentation of the evidence (all of which we'd already seen during the investigation phase) was given in a mock trial, and we were asked to take the role of the jury and deliver a verdict. Over the course of the investigation, the suspect's story changed at least twice - and when the evidence against him became clear at court, he offered yet another story in the closing statements, constructed to match as much of the evidence as he could.

So as jury, we had three stories to consider: the prosecution's, the defence's, and the suspect's. Some facts were uncontroversial. Others were admitted to match the prosecution's story by the suspect, in his final statement. There was only one key point of difference - and a little bit of play-acting in the jury room would have revealed that the suspect's story was physically improbable, while the prosecution's was straightforward to replicate. Verdict: Guilty.

(I'm being deliberately vague, so as not to spoil the case for anyone doing the same course later. But Ace Attorney fans will recognise the trope.)

Comment

Wondering if we're close to an update here...

Comment

there was a scheduled mediation recently. I haven't been told how that went.
          "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

My drama llamas want info.

Comment

If this goes on much longer the trees will have grown back.
              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Well, we're past Christmas of 2016... Any further updates you can tell us about?

Comment

Hope the update is she won.

Comment

Final update!

A few weeks ago the landscaping company decided to throw in the towel. They agreed to settle AND to testify against the neighbor. They still won't admit they were in the wrong, but whatever. Knowing they were working on two properties, they should've waited until BOTH owners signed on the dotted line, rather than taking the other guys word for it, so they deserve to be out some money.

The case was due to go to trial in a couple more weeks when the neighbor was forced to settle by his insurance company. I'd prefer not to disclose any specific details but she will be getting a five-figure sum once the taxes and legal fees are taken out.
                    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

• Quoth Dave1982 View Post
                      I suspect it'll be a while before anything happens.
                      Quoth Gilhelmi View Post
                      These cases can take between 6 months and 5 years.
                      Quoth Dave1982 View Post
                      Well, a not-exciting update....MIL says her attorney thinks the case will be settled by Christmas....

.......next year. 2016.
                      Only three years (and a bit). Not as long a process as it could have been, but still later than Christmas 2016...
                      “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                      One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                      The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

• Quoth Dave1982 View Post
                        I'd prefer not to disclose any specific details but she will be getting a five-figure sum once the taxes and legal fees are taken out.
                        Good call as there may be a non-disclosure clause in the settlement agreement.
                        Last edited by taxguykarl; 05-16-2017, 05:04 PM.
                        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

• That is a satisfying outcome.

Comment

Working...
                          X