This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $8.34 in NICKELS

This happened my first day after training at the grocery store. A nun came in with a charity plate and bought some pastries and such.

Well, I ring up and tell her the total ($8.34) and what does she do? Dumps the charity plate, full of change, onto the counter. When I went for the quarters first, she moved them away and had me count out the NICKELS.

NICKELS.

This means, that after the fact, I had about $10 worth of nickels in my drawer.

Luckily, I never saw that nun again.
    6/16/2008: Best. Day. Ever.

Things I've Learned: Birth is not a miracle, it's a science, and science is damned disgusting. It's also really, really, cool.

Oh! Oh! I had this one before the last hack.

I had a customer buy a computer component that topped out just under $260. She then sets this full piggy bank on the counter, loaded with toonies.

130 coins later, change delivered and me trying to unload as much toonies as possible on ANYONE! At the end of the night, when my drop was counted, we had to swap out all the coins for bills and kept the toonies in our drop box. The next week, $140 dollars in loonies and toonies.

On the plus side, it took us a month to finally need to order more loonies and toonies from the bank.
    I AM the evil bastard!
    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

sorry i'm british, can someone please tell me what a loonie & a toonie is?.

Comment

The dollar coin here in Canada has a loon on it, so being as Canadians are so creative, we dubbed it the "loonie".
        A few years later, they introduced the two-dollar coin. So naturally, it became known colloquially as the "Toonie".

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Canadian money. Loonies are one dollar coins, Twonnies are two dollar coins.

At least I think so O_O
          Military Spouse Support.
          http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
          Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

I must be in a mood, because I'm in my "At least it wasn't unrolled pennies" phase.
            Unseen but seeing
            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
            3rd shift needs love, too
            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I'm still disappointed that the alternate name "doubloons" never caught on!

I save my coins for big purchases, but I take them to the bank first

Comment

A loon/loony, to me, means a crazy person.
                I'd love to see a representation of that on a coin

I've had a few people pay amounts averaging $5, all with 5c coins... Thankfully larger amounts have at least a few 10c coins in there
                Re: Quiche.
                Pie is manly.
                Eggs, meat, and cheese are manly.
                Therefore, making an egg, meat, and cheese pie must be very manly.
                So sayeth Spiffy McMoron!

Comment

Quoth BusyBee View Post
                  A loon/loony, to me, means a crazy person.
                  I'd love to see a representation of that on a coin
                  Well, it *does* lend itself to the description "loonier than a Canadian dollar coin"...

Comment

Quoth Pixagi View Post
                    This means, that after the fact, I had about $10 worth of nickels in my drawer.
                    Couldn't you have just refused them, since they weren't properly rolled? After all, you shouldn't have had to count out that woman's money for her, she should have had it prepared before she came in. Or does your grocery store say to accept payment no matter how much loose change it's composed of?

*Is very thankful her boss told her she could refuse large amounts of coin unless it's in proper coin rollers*
                    my favourite author is neil gaiman. - me
                    it is? I don't like potatoes much. - the chatbot I was talking to

Comment

I would have felt bad turning down a nun, regardless. Even if you don't believe in any version of God or whatever, I know I'd consider it a good karmic moment and just take the nickels. After all, when I was in Sunday School, the nuns would often buy doughnuts and sell them back to us for profit, and then use the money on our church nursery, so goodness all around.

Anyone else, though, they'd have gotten bit. Because yikes. That's over 160 nickels.
                      "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

Reminds me of the apocryphal story (I read it in an old Reader's Digest compilation) of the lady who got on a street trolley in the days when the fare was five cents. She gave the conductor a $10 bill and apologized, saying "I'm so sorry, I haven't any nickels". The conductor grimly replied "Don't worry, lady. In a few minutes you'll have 99 of them".
                        Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...
                        TASTE THE LIME JELLO OF DEFEAT! -Gravekeeper

Comment

Well, they all told me I didn't have to take it, but she was a Nun! Now, I personally don't have any distinguished faith, but...

And really, other then the no quarter thing, she was pretty nice and was chatting it up with my co-workers and myself, so yeah.
                          6/16/2008: Best. Day. Ever.

Things I've Learned: Birth is not a miracle, it's a science, and science is damned disgusting. It's also really, really, cool.

Comment

Quoth Miss Maple Leaf View Post
                            Couldn't you have just refused them, since they weren't properly rolled?
                            Many of the stores I go to won't accept rolled coins, because people will short the roll by a few coins. The bank won't take them without opening them and counting the coins or running them through the coin counter, if they have one.
                            Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                            HR believes the first person in the door
                            Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                            Document everything
                            CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

I collect Canadian currency. Because hopefully one day I'll be able to go back to visit a friend who lives in Sudbury. So I want to be prepared, fund-wise.
                              ~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

Comment

Working...
                              X