This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Seshat View Post
    I'd love it if hospitals and residential facilities had two nurse/carer call buttons: one for emergencies (I've fallen/I'm bleeding/I think I'm having a heart attack), and one for non-emergencies that still need attention (I need help to the bathroom/could you please refill my water jug/etc).
    I believe that one of the hospitals I visited back home had a method set up as such. The green button was the nurse call button, the red one was for emergencies.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
      Ooo! Ooo! Airplane! Do I get a cookie?
      And there was a Red October reference there too :3
      Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

I have heard that phones (and the ability to call with little inconvenience to oneself) are what killed the practice of doctors making home visits. Because of people like that.

Comment

Quoth skeptic53 View Post
          More common is the opposite: People like my mom, who won't push the button at all. I glued a tiny photo of myself to the button so she would understand it would call me. It didn't help. She'd fall in the wee hours, and lay on the floor for 3-4 hours because she "didn't want to be a bother to anyone".
          I didn't know my sibling was on this board.
          It's not the years in you life that count, it's the life in your years! - Quote from the office coffee cup.

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
            I believe that one of the hospitals I visited back home had a method set up as such. The green button was the nurse call button, the red one was for emergencies.
            When my mom got a new hip, she wouldn't call the nurse for anything. One time in the middle of the night after getting her vitals checked the nurse accidentally left the lights on. Well, my mom didn't want to bother them, and they stayed on until the next time a nurse came in. Her blood pressure was suddenly high because she was mad that she couldn't fall back asleep in a bright room. Yes, she knew it was her fault for not calling, but that's just the way she is.
            Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
              I'd love it if hospitals and residential facilities had two nurse/carer call buttons: one for emergencies (I've fallen/I'm bleeding/I think I'm having a heart attack), and one for non-emergencies that still need attention (I need help to the bathroom/could you please refill my water jug/etc).
              That would be a terrible thing. The sucky patients would always hit the emergency button and the really sick ones would always hit the non-emergency one.

No. Just no.
              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
                That would be a terrible thing. The sucky patients would always hit the emergency button and the really sick ones would always hit the non-emergency one.
                I believe I mentioned this in post #27.
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth emax4 View Post
                  I'd refer him to 911 just so they can deal with his abuse of the system and bill him for the emergency service.
                  That's not how the system works, at least here in my part of the US.

Fire Department responds first. They are paid with tax payer money only and there are no extra fee's for this response. So no matter if they run no calls or 100 calls, there is no extra revenue brought in.

Ambulance is sent out next. Since there are only so many ambulances to the city (here 3 for a city 50,000 people and surrounding areas of at least 25,000) if there's too many calls at once, if they are already called to a bogus call the actual medical emergency may have to wait until they deal with Mr. Cranky. Then if they do take him to the hospital, if he's a frequent flyer then he only pays $35 a year for a ride, if he isn't they bill Medicare/Insurance and never pay a penny out of pocket.

It's actually very rare to ticket abusers of the system because you have to prove they are actually abusing it and you really can't do it.

This is the reason why there are so many first responder burn outs between deaths and abuse of the system. I'm watching my boyfriend burn out after 16 years of EMS work because of these abusers. Fires, deaths, dogs stuck in pipes, horse wrangling, down trees, none of those things bug him. The 3am call from a system abuser who suddenly wants to go to the hospital then changes their mind only to call 911 5 more times between 4 and 8am and never actually go to the hospital. Those are the calls (that happen far more then actual emergencies) that push him over.

So please do pawn off people on Emergency Responders unless it's an emergency. They have enough SC's to deal with already without adding more.
                  Last edited by Really; 10-31-2014, 02:12 AM.

Comment

I've had to call 911 twice in my life. Once because out in the middle of nowhere some messed up people kicked a woman out of the car and injured her in the process. I ended up being advised by 911 to leave the area because the original car was coming back. Very odd. Almost like everyone involved was on some kind of drugs...

The other was when someone was trying to break in the door of my neighbor in triplex I was living in. He was screaming various threats. (oh, it was a complication with his prescription drugs) Scary as hell for me, and now I know how I react when I feel personally threatened. I cry to the point that the lady on the phone couldn't understand me. She wasn't very nice about it, either. I know, she couldn't tell what I was saying, but repeating "ma'am I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!" made me more hysterical. >_>

Oh, and I would never even think of calling 911 unless it was an actual emergency/crime/car accident. The fact that others do, (just look at how many times people have called to report errors on their McDonalds order) is depressing.
                    Last edited by notalwaysright; 10-31-2014, 04:45 AM.
                    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Working...
                    X