Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This customer really sucked... no, really. On something.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This customer really sucked... no, really. On something.

Okay, I get it. I get that when you have kids, things that would normally seem gross become less so. When you spend your days elbow deep in poop and snot, you get desensitized to it.

So it's not unimaginably gross that the mother that came up to my register with her kid's pacifier in her mouth. I mean, yeah, it's kind of gross, and weird, and I usually associate adult pacifier usage with Ecstacy, as E users tend to grind their teeth. But I can get how she doesn't find it gross. She's been in contact with way worse than that kid's spit with the past hour.

What bothered me the most was that she spent the whole transaction talking out the side of the pacifier. And her kid was right there in the stroller, just derpin' around like babies do. I'm like, lady, wanna share that thing with the kid?

Also, I hate it when people try to talk while holding things in their mouth. I'm like, you're not a dog. Use your hands. Yes, I often use my mouth as an extra hand when it's my own stuff, but not when I'm in front of other people, especially strangers. That's just yucky. So when it's a pacifier, something that I know has someone else's drool encrusted on it, it's double yucky.

What are your thoughts on this? Gross? Not gross? Super gross? Understandable as a frazzled mother or weird even for sleep-deprived parents? I need some sort of frame of reference and collectively, this forum has seen it all.
    Each one of us has a special place just like the Evergreen Forest. Enchanting, sparkling, and perfect. And, like the flowers that bloom there... fragile.

Blorch. Okay, I find that icky. I know, I know, I'm going to get jumped by all the parents, but as a non-parent this how I feel about it. Of course I don't like people chewing with their mouth open, either.
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Ever have someone take their credit card out of their mouth and hand it to you?

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
        Credit and cash. We have hand sanitizer right beside the scanner, too.
        Each one of us has a special place just like the Evergreen Forest. Enchanting, sparkling, and perfect. And, like the flowers that bloom there... fragile.

Comment

Quoth MrsEclipse View Post
          What are your thoughts on this? Gross? Not gross? Super gross? Understandable as a frazzled mother or weird even for sleep-deprived parents? I need some sort of frame of reference and collectively, this forum has seen it all.
          It's been studied and found that it's better for the kids' immune system to clean pacifiers in your own mouth rather than rinse it. Doesn't mean she should be talking out the side of it at you. Or that it's something all parents do.
          My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
            I once had a customer spit a £1 coin out of his mouth and hand it to me when I worked in Land of Quid. Seriously.

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
              Quoth MrsEclipse View Post
              Credit and cash. We have hand sanitizer right beside the scanner, too.
              Been there, done that, been squicked out, also very happy for hand sanitizer at my register.
              "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

I'm a parent and I think that's gross. I've never done it, though I have cleaned my kids' faces with spit. I feel like my spit is possibly cleaner than theirs? Who knows.

There was a fad for a while back in the late 90's of young people, mostly teenagers, walking about with pacis around their necks and sometimes even sucking on them. I doubt they were all on Ecstasy and I thought it was the stupidest thing I'd ever seen.
                https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
                  There was a fad for a while back in the late 90's of young people, mostly teenagers, walking about with pacis around their necks and sometimes even sucking on them. I doubt they were all on Ecstasy and I thought it was the stupidest thing I'd ever seen.
                  Rave culture. Quite weird, but mostly very accepting crowd

Comment

Quoth Kheldarson View Post
                    It's been studied and found that it's better for the kids' immune system to clean pacifiers in your own mouth rather than rinse it.
                    That's weird, because to my knowledge studies have found that it's better NOT to do that. That's because you, as an adult, can transfer bacteria to the baby's mouth via the saliva that cause/promote tooth decay. These bacteria can start building up in the baby's mouth even before they themselves have teeth.

But whichever study you prefer, it's definitely gross, no matter how many diapers you have changed or running noses you have wiped.
                    “If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.”
                    ― Terry Pratchett, Thief of Time

Comment

I did it occasionally, and have pulled them out of pockets and other things. IT's just something you end up doing.
                      https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                      Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Working...
                      X