This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a side note to those who may be interested;

Actually, there IS a law that if a critical or suffering animal comes into the ER we must treat it.
    My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
    It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
      My bird started out as Avery, but got renamed to Ava when we found the wreckage of an egg in the cage one morning. Since we only had one bird, it wasn't hard to guess who did it.

I said to the bird, "We've known you over a year and a half and this is the first time you did this?" and got back a very worried look that seemed to say, "I'm not sure WHAT I did!"
      Birds seem to be funny like that.

My boyfriend's sister had two cockatiels. Their features were indicative of being male.

One morning we went to pull the curtain up and they were busy...."mounting" each other.

We later found an egg in the cage. Since both birds look similar....>.>
      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
        One morning we went to pull the curtain up and they were busy...."mounting" each other.

We later found an egg in the cage. Since both birds look similar....>.>
        And that was how you learned about the birds and the bees.
        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
          And that was how you learned about the birds and the bees.
          Oh har har.

No bees in the area.

Speaking of which I never got where that phrase actually came from....o.o
          The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Another "wrong sex" case: many years back, the Vancouver aquarium got a pair of (alledgedly) female beluga whales, which they named Finna and Bijosa. A renaming was in order when Finna was spotted with an erection.
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Rats are heck of a lot easier to tell male from female. They don't have balls, they have trailers! *facepalm* I had a rat named Buck... which is what a male rat is called. His cage mate was named Mickey. Nope, not the mouse. They were named after the Halo: ODSTs. Right now, the rats we have are named after the Red vs Blue.. all of them from the Blue side. Unfortunately, we lost Caboose a couple of months ago. I always thought Church would be the first to go. My oldest son loves Halo. A lot.

Doesn't matter what I name my pets.. they will all answer to "Stupid." I'm sorry, but if you aren't going to run the heck away after protesting that you don't want the toddler to manhandle you ala Elmyra Duff, then you will get called, "Stupid."
              If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

My cat names sound so uninspired now.

Fuzzy McGuirk (he's a longhair and we like Home Movies, but I call him Fuzz-mo-tron.)

Slick Dwayne (Fuzzy's littermate, he's a shorthair and we still like Home Movies. He's my Icky, or Smacky, or Fancy Dancy Magic Pantsy.)

Ember Lily (named after My Little Ponies, but we call her Ming because she says "ming.")

Flora Lynn (named after an Enya song and Stevie Nicks's middle name, I guess)

Stevie Peeps (because her incessant griping sounds like a Stevie Nicks concert wherein Stevie Nicks was really really high, and the noise she made as a small kitten)

(I should point out right now that Mr. Skeen adores Stevie Nicks.)

Jupiter Elizabeth (she had a Great Red Spot of road rash when we got her, and Elizabeth is the name that popped into my head when I looked at her the first time. She now has a large patch of gray fur coming up through the scar from the road rash that we refer to as Ganymede.)

Buddycat Ratchet (As in "It's ok, buddy, don't be scared," when he was a stray on our back porch, and he looks like Ratchet from Ratchet & Clank)

Comment

I've only owned three cats, rather uninspired names but they're fun to say.

Treacle, Kiffer and Kizzie (my current baby girl <3)

Comment

OK, roll call time...

Tabitha Catherine (She's a"Tabby Cat", right)?
                    Clover (will NOT stop miaowing, for the sheer joy of it)
                    Bob
                    Salem (Born in my wardrobe, 4 1/2 years ago)
                    Fred (Lady Lineswine was feeling broody)
                    Ginger - a rescue
                    Percy (Lady L feeling broody AGAIN!)
                    Ebony a.k.a teeny-tiny kitteh. (What, another rescue?)

Bob came to us in a round-about way - out went us looking for a missing kitty, heard this small cat miaowing frantically at a door. Not ours, who came back next morning.
                    The next evening the couple (whos door said small cat was going frantic at), knocked at ours, told us they couldn't keep him due to having a big dog & were we interested?
                    By this time Lineswine jr. had shot down the stairs, gathered up said kitteh & disappeared back into his room, say "sure we'll have it!"
                    At first we named the cat "Caitlin" (catling - young cat...geddit?) - until we worked out "she" was a "he", so him being cat number 8 at the time, we quickly re-named him 8-of-8, B-o-B, so Bob he is.
                    He had a quick look round, wiped his paws & has never looked back.
                    He knows which side his bread is buttered, that cat!

Comment

Bilbo Baggins (got as a puppy; biggest, hairiest feet you ever saw)

Hissy Fit (what she had when she met Bilbo)

the Great Pyrenees were Belle and Beau

Velvet -- because that's what her ears felt like

Angus Snuffy McMop (Scotty; hadn't had a haircut for far too long, looked like a mop with feet; had his nose broken as a puppy, his breathing sounded like leaky plumbing, and could he SNORE . . . !)

Little Bit, because when she turned up on the porch she would fit in the palm of my hand (wound up weighing almost 12 pounds)

Pookah (my current) -- because she can interdimension shift (not kidding; I once petted her at the top of the stairs, then was greeted by her at the bottom. without her passing me on the staircase.)

Comment

I don't have a cat.

Back when I lived with the folks, we had cats. The first one was simply called "The Cat"; we didn't figure she was going to stay with us, because we're all allergic to cats, so we didn't want to give an official name because that's a tacit admission that we're keeping her. (She stayed seven years.) For the vet, who wanted an official name to put on his records, we called her "Tiger" (more for her personality than her stripes: she was an ex-street cat that deigned to live in our house) but we never called her that.

Then there were two feral cats that we occasionally fed: a huge male who must have been at least part Maine Coon called Fuzzyface, and his girlfriend, called Fuzzyface's Girlfriend or just Girlfriend for short. (What can I say, we haven't got much imagination in terms of names.) We think that Girlfriend was the same cat we used to call Yowler's Kitten, years previously.

After we moved (the people who bought our house promised to keep feeding the above two) we were adopted by our neighbor's cat, who was called Dalton. I think he was named after the bookstore. We didn't feed him, he went home to eat, but we provided companionship, as well as attention (there were two other cats and a dog at his own house, but he had us all to himself). We also brushed him out every spring when he shed his winter coat, he was old enough to vote and was having a hard time taking care of his own fur by then.

Then Dalton disappeared. We all assumed he was dead, because he was kind of deaf and might have been hit by a car. Turned up again a few months later wearing an unfamiliar collar. Wouldn't say where he'd been.

While Dalton was gone, my sister temporarily adopted four of her brother-in-law's nine cats. They were Nicky (don't know why) and Sibyl (because she was Nicky's sibling, although they looked nothing alike: he was orange tabby and she was black and white), Amadeus (known as Juicy for short; he strongly resembled a skunk, being black and white with a pointy muzzle and very bushy tail) and Pitzy. These eventually went back where they came from, and a good thing because I couldn't stop sneezing. I can live with one cat, but four is excessive.

Dalton eventually died of (we think) thyroid cancer. Might have been treatable in a younger cat, but he was over 20 by then.

After those left, my father was adopted by a cat who he called Shadow, because she was always underfoot. Especially when you were trying to walk downstairs.

My sister (lives upstairs from my parents) currently has a cat called Dot. Dot had two male littermates who were initially Yakko and Wakko, but were renamed Alphie (because he was the alpha male) and Swipey (for obvious reasons). These were all outside-cats; the two males eventually dispersed, and Dot moved inside the house after Shadow died.

Almost forgot, my upstairs tenant has a cat (Fee Fee), but she doesn't like me. (She doesn't like men in general, and especially she doesn't like men with beards.) Ach, now my nose is itching just thinking about all those cats. I still try to make friends with the neighborhood ferals when I see them, but they aren't reciprocating. You also have to be careful in the dark, because you might be trying to befriend a raccoon, an opossum or worst yet, a skunk, all of which we have wandering around here at nights...

Comment

Quoth morgana View Post
                          Pookah (my current) -- because she can interdimension shift (not kidding; I once petted her at the top of the stairs, then was greeted by her at the bottom. without her passing me on the staircase.)
                          Pookah is the real cat breed of Schrödinger according to "The Unadulterated Cat" by Terry Pratchett. This breed came about when someone tried to do the experiment and the cat decided to take the third option of Inter dimensional travel.

The book also has some good advice on cat names (it has to be something you can shout at midnight while trying to find your cat). Also covers the system that Shalom has discovered of cat being allocated to people who don't have one. You move into a new house and a cat will turn up in few days. The neighbours have never seen the cat before and no one is missing a cat.

Quite a funny book.

Comment

Quoth AmbrosiaWriter View Post
                            Actually, there IS a law that if a critical or suffering animal comes into the ER we must treat it.
                            As a receptionist at a regular vet's office, I am curious. Who pays for the care if the owners are unable to? Or do you guys euthanize and write it off?

Comment

Our family cats have been
                              Misty
                              Kisa (put down last spring. )
                              Kiwi (exceptionally green eyes)
                              and the baby, Mokey. Like the fraggle!

My own cat is named Pixel. She's all black except for a few stray white hairs on her back. Had them since I got her as a kitten. They reminded me of broken pixels on a monitor. She had her name before I brought her home, while it took two or three weeks for us to name Mokey.
                              My webcomic is called Sidekick Girl. Val's job is kinda like retail, except instead of corporate's dumb policies, it's the Hero Agency, and the SC's are trying to take over the world.

Comment

Lets see....for cats...

felines currently in residence: Kitling. tortoiseshell. Has one of my favorite adoption stories ever. My sister and her friend were walking down the street toward my mom, who was picking them up. At some point during their walk, they started being followed by this kitten. They got to the van, opened the door, and the kitten jumped into the van.

They took the kitten back out, put her down, and she jumped into the van again. They took her around to the other side of the van, the kitten ran around the van, and jumped in back into the van.

They went around from house to house, no one had EVER seen this kitten before. She belonged to no one. They tried to drop the kitten back off around where they thought she'd started following them.

You can see the pattern, right? Yes, the kitten beat them back to the van.

At this point, they just gave up. "This cat was meant to come with us!"

Also Azzie, short for Azrael. Whether named after the smurf hunting cat, or the actual Angel of Death is anyone's guess, in our family. Doesn't really live up to her name though.

As for Dogs, we have BooBoo, a rescue from a shelter. Husky mix...not sure what else is in him, but there's certainly some husky there.

Abby, German Shepherd. A rescue in the more direct sense. We live out where you can see the middle of nowhere from the window. This dog just showed up at the house, with a nice collar around her neck...but it was so tight around her neck that she had to have been wearing it for a couple months...and so thin it was heartbreaking.

Well, I grew up with German Shepherds, so I've got a kind of bias about them.(They are the best dogs ever, you won't convince me otherwise!) so, couldn't let THAT stand...of course, we checked around for missing dog posters and such, but she apparently wasn't local. So she stayed with us...and brought us the next one...

Shadow, a mystery breed. Still a puppy, and snuck into the house UNDER Abby's body. Treats her as a big sister/momma/playtoy Still feeling his way around since Boo is old and grumpy and growls at him all the time.

Comment

Working...
                                X