This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But where is it?!

BG: I have two jobs, one at a grocery store, the other at my apartment building as a caretaker. This one is from the second.

I was on-call and the after hours phone rang so I answered. I already had a headache when I answered the phone and this conversation made it so much worse.

Me: *Apartment Complex* emergency line, how can I help you?
    Him: Where's the dumpster?
    Me: Beneath the trash chutes, they're not accessible to tenants. Did you need to throw away something big?
    Him: No, just a trash bag. Where's the dumpster? I can't find it.
    Me: Just put it down the trash chute at the end of the hallway.
    Him: But... where's the dumpster?
    Me: *resisting urge to bang head on desk* Ok, I'll walk you through this. Are you in the hallway with your trash bag?
    Him: Yes.
    Me: Go to the end of the hallway by the side stairs. Tell me when you're there.
    Him: *a few seconds later* Okay, I'm there.
    Me: Next to the door for the stairs, there's another door labeled trash chute. Open that door and go in.
    Him: Okay.
    Me: Now see the little metal door on the wall? Open it and drop your trash down.
    Him: *drops bag down (I can hear it go)* Okay. But where's the dumpster?
    Me: *hangs up* I really hope that was some kind of joke.

I know many apartment buildings have dumpsters outside for tenants to throw their trash in instead of having trash chutes inside the building, but I really thought the whole thing was fairly easy to understand. Guess not...

Maybe he'll hop down the trash chute himself and find out where the dumpster is.

Comment

Quoth strawbabies View Post
      Maybe he'll hop down the trash chute himself and find out where the dumpster is.
      Help! I've fallen and I can't get up! (the chute)
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth strawbabies View Post
        With any luck, the garbage monster from Star Wars will be waiting for him.
        "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Comment

I've always lived in the type of apartment building with dumpsters, but if you explain the system to new tenants, it shouldn't be a problem.

This of course assumes the new tenant has at least enough IQ points to not chew on rocks.
          "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Since no one else has said it yet...

That's not an emergency!!! Get some sleep, sober up, and if you can't find it in the daylight, call the office!

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
              This of course assumes the new tenant has at least enough IQ points to not chew on rocks.
              Heh.

The cavemen from the Geico commercials have a higher IQ.
              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
                I've always lived in the type of apartment building with dumpsters, but if you explain the system to new tenants, it shouldn't be a problem.

Sadly, he'd have been shown at least twice. Once when touring the building before moving in and again when he moved in. It is also outlined in the move in packet.

Raveni Since no one else has said it yet...

That's not an emergency!!! Get some sleep, sober up, and if you can't find it in the daylight, call the office!
                It was like 7pm and he didn't sound drunk. :/ Also, the 'emergency' calls I get 99% of the time aren't emergencies. People wanting packages left in the office, people reporting random phantom noises, that sort of thing. There are a few who complain so much that when I see their number, the greeting they get is along the lines of 'This had better be an emergency.'
                Last edited by CrystalynRose; 10-28-2014, 12:08 AM.

Comment

I wish my building had a garbage chute. I hate having to go outside in the middle of winter (especially last winter) just to throw out the garbage.

Comment

"There is no dumpster. The trash falls into a black hole and disappears forever."
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

If I told you, I would have to kill you. We both know that I don't have time to clean up the mess AND do the paperwork, so lets just write this off as one of the great mysteries of the universe and move on.

Comment

For some reason, I'm reading the thread title in a Christian Bale Batman growl.

Comment

Quoth CrystalynRose View Post
                          There are a few who complain so much that when I see their number, the greeting they get is along the lines of 'This had better be an emergency.'
                          I know someone who for about a year worked as an on-site maintenance guy for some nice-ish condos. He was driven to quit by the few complainers who would turn up at his office to complain every day. And mostly not about stuff that was his job. Just crazy stuff. Saying they smelled something, ranting about how the car in the parking spot next to them was "too close," wanting trees on neighboring lots topped so they would have more sunlight, etc.

I have to go out in the cold and rain to take out my garbage, and also go to a super creepy basement to do my laundry.
                          Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Working...
                          X