Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking back on the places I've lived, none of them have had official visitor parking. The best tenants got was one assigned spot. Yes, you still only got one, even if you had a roommate and both had cars. In that case, you had to fight to get a spot in the unmarked areas of the lot. It's also common around here to have to pay extra per month for an assigned parking space or even a covered space. There are buildings downtown which offer no parking at all. It's clearly indicated in the listing, though. It's funny, because we're not a densely populated area at all. I guess builders just don't want to spend the extra dough on paving?
    Last edited by notalwaysright; 10-30-2014, 03:17 AM.
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

The lawyer card always amuses me. When I worked for MajorBank I'd get bankers calling me all panicked because their customers threatened a lawyer. My general response was a shrug and an "okay". My complete lack of concern generally made the bankers giggle, and realize that we really had nothing to worry about. Seriously, this is the bank with the pretty horses and stagecoach in their logo. Do you have any idea how many times an hour somebody threatens them? I kinda wish we'd thought to have lawsuit bingo going on in the office. It could have been amusing.
      At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

I just had the greatest vision of this driver as King Cu... sorry King Knut trying to turn back the tide by threatening it with a lawyer's letter!
        This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
        I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
          I really wonder sometimes, do these kinds of people threaten everyone they meet with a lawyer?
          What do you mean you don't have this product I want (that you don't even carry)?? I'm calling my Lawyer, and he'll SUE you and MAKE you carry it AND give me a FREE one!
          Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
            I've had a few folks over the year try and claim that such places MUST offer visitor parking up to a certain amount, but, they never seem to be able to cite exactly what statute, building code or borough ordinance makes that LAW. Funny huh?
            I lived in an apartment for a while, and I actually DID hear this. I don't think it's law, just something that people think.

Though I will tell you, we could pay extra for assigned spots, and the "free" spots were exactly opposite those.

After I got married, my wife and I would alternate my assigned spot. Someone actually parked in my assigned spot once. I was this close || to having them towed...

But BEFORE that, I was parked in MY assigned spot, and someone who lives in the apartment that my spot was in front of, left a note on MY vehicle telling me I was in THEIR spot. You know...because it was in front of THEIR apartment. Regardless of the fact I'd already been parking there for a couple of months anyway, and PAYING for that spot.

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
              I kinda wish we'd thought to have lawsuit bingo going on in the office. It could have been amusing.
              That sounds like it would have been hilarious. How would it have worked?

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                I never get tired of reading about people who go full lawyer and are completely baffled when this doesn't intimidate Arga or his coworkers.
                I'm still amused by the idiot girl who threatened my coworkers with legal action because, in a promotion we do with some other bars wherein people can get a free t-shirt for drinking certain drinks, we wouldn't qualify her and her friends when they drank other drinks. And not just other drinks, mind you, but discounted happy hour drinks. Yes, we're gonna let you buy these $2 drinks and qualify you for a promotion that involves $8 drinks. Sure.

But since we didn't allow that, she threatened legal action. I'm pretty sure my coworkers just stared at her when she did that.

Quoth Silent-Hunter View Post
                While I don't think people should get that upset about it, I DO think they need to do something about that lot. If I lived in that complex, and couldn't have a visitor because all the spaces were taken up, I'd probably complain big time.
                You can have a visitor. They just may have to park somewhere else.

You'd be complaining a lot where I live. In my apartment complex, you must have a parking permit attached to your windshield to park in ANY spot. No permit, they can tow you. Have a visitor? They can park on the street or on any of the near streets.

And people who think business MUST have parking would love my bar and many others in Key West's downtown, as we have no parking. No parking lots, no parking assigned to our business. You wanna park, you either find a free street spot or a metered one and pay. Don't like those options? Talk to the city planners from decades ago, because there ain't shit we can do about it.
                Last edited by Jester; 10-30-2014, 11:06 PM.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                Still A Customer."

Comment

In my first Chicago apartment there was tenant-only parking--no visitors. As I didn't have a car at that time, I didn't bother with a parking place (it was $$ extra). When my folks visited, I told them: Just park somewhere, we walk and use the L from here.
                  I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                  -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                    And people who think business MUST have parking would love my bat and many others in Key West's downtown, as we have no parking. No parking lots, no parking assigned to our business. You wanna park, you either find a free street spot or a metered one and pay. Don't like those options? Talk to the city planners from decades ago, because there ain't shit we can do about it.
                    I don't understand that either. I mean, it's one thing if you have legitimate mobility issues, but otherwise...

Dudes, you're in Key West, which is pretty close to Paradise (or is Paradise, depending on one's opinion), the weather is almost certainly going to be gorgeous, just park where you can and walk with the legs the Good Lord gave ya.
                    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
                      I suspect Arga & Co. wouldn't be intimidated if the owner of a towed car were an actual lawyer making litigious noises at them.
                      Most lawyers are bright enough to think things a few moves ahead. Any serious legal-process bid to get out of a tow fee is going to cost lots more in time/money, and not really be effective.
                      It's just so much cheaper in time and money to.... PAY THE MAN and be done with it.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                        But BEFORE that, I was parked in MY assigned spot, and someone who lives in the apartment that my spot was in front of, left a note on MY vehicle telling me I was in THEIR spot. You know...because it was in front of THEIR apartment. Regardless of the fact I'd already been parking there for a couple of months anyway, and PAYING for that spot.
                        Yeah, that doesn't work out very well.

When I lived in California, I got one covered spot that was assigned to me; my apartment number was painted in the spot. It wasn't right in front of my apartment, but it was close.

The uncovered spots were "first come first served." Renters with second cars could use them as could visitors. Most apartment complexes were like that, at least in the Sacramento-Chico corridor. I did have one friend in Sac whose apartment didn't have many visitor spots; that make parking dicey as I won't park illegally.

When I moved to Greensboro, there was no assigned parking; first come first served. But some people would get territorial about "their" spots, usually in front of their apartments. I had more than one doofus give me grief over my car being in "their" spot and having to gently explain why they were wrong, because there were NO assigned spots. Fortunately, it never escalated into pure suckitute.

But I was glad to get out of that place.
                        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                          I

You'd be complaining a lot where I live. In my apartment complex, you must have a parking permit attached to your windshield to park in ANY spot. No permit, they can tow you. Have a visitor? They can park on the street or on any of the near streets.
                          To be fair, there's more than ample street parking around your complex. I think the farthest I ever had to park was about a block away, and that was because I my engine was overheating and I deemed the spot "close enough". Even during Fantasy Fest, I managed to score a spot right in front of your building or a spot or two down one of the side streets directly across from your building. Only a lunatic would complain about parking there. Oh, wait. I forgot what site I was reading...
                          At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Really this is just the tip of the iceberg.

I could go on for hours about the various ways people screw up when there IS ample visitor parking (Forget to buy permit, forget to put permit in car, put permit in unseeable place, forget to renew permit for a week, or eight, park in wrong lot, and on and on and on. ) and the bellyaching is usually silenced with

"They don't HAVE to give you any visitors parking, by allowing it, even with rules, they're being HELPFUL, so you in return have to follow some rules"

One apartment complex noticed that their lot was bigger than it had to be and even when they rented at full capacity, there were extra spaces. They put up signs declaring the surplus spots visitor parking. After said signs got stolen 4 times, once the DAY AFTER replacements went up, they said "screw it" and took back the visitor rules, now it's all permit again, and they eventually put storage sheds in there.

This is why we can't have nice t hings.
                            - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Parking

Quoth Jester View Post
                              And people who think business MUST have parking would love my bar and many others in Key West's downtown, as we have no parking. No parking lots, no parking assigned to our business. You wanna park, you either find a free street spot or a metered one and pay. Don't like those options? Talk to the city planners from decades ago, because there ain't shit we can do about it.
                              I had no problems parking my ten-speed bike outside your bar.

People just don't think about the options available to them.

Comment

Wow, with all that going on I bet the drunks are built like track stars in Key West.
                                My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Working...
                                X