This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth WHShit View Post
    Perhaps my hatred goes deeper than yours, and perhaps I am a bit insane, but there you go.

SMILES!
    Um, no... We are actually disturbingly similar.

I, too, tend to speak properly in most situations. I, too, refuse to abbreviate words unnecessarily. (that u for you thing really drives me batty... it's a single-hand word, even) I only use current pop slang when mocking the people who do, and have been known to give friends a hard time for using it themselves.

There used to be a place on the route from my home to my work called the Kanine Kabin. I was happy when they went out of business... just so I would never have to see their sign ever again.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Your not insane WHShit. I personally act dumb when people use "slang" words around me. I have no problem with "lol" but I do have a problem with "u r kool"

There used to be a place on the route from my home to my work called the Kanine Kabin
      Children are learning bad spelling and bad language. Parents blame the internet, but it's companies like this that are truely to blame.

I, too, refuse to abbreviate words unnecessarily.
      I once had an american friend on Yahoo that had a go at me once for abbreviating Japanese as Jap
      MMO Addicts group

Comment

Quoth Jacen View Post
        I once had an american friend on Yahoo that had a go at me once for abbreviating Japanese as Jap
        Well, that's probably because "Jap" is tantamount to an ethnic slur rather than an "unnecessary abbreviation."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jap
        "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
          Well, that's probably because "Jap" is tantamount to an ethnic slur rather than an "unnecessary abbreviation."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jap
          I think it's both to be honest. But the sad thing is, this is how half the worlds children are today. (I have the highest respect for the japanese, so I never intended a racial slur)
          MMO Addicts group

Comment

Quoth Jacen View Post
            I think it's both to be honest.
            No, I think it's just an ethnic slur. I mean, I sympathize, because it wasn't til rather late in the game someone told me that "Chinaman" is offensive ("But he's a man from China!"). However, I think most people over here associate "Jap" with everything horrible America did during World War II.

Comment

Chinaman is considered offensive? Gotta remember that one. (and avoid it, of course)
              MMO Addicts group

Comment

Jap. isn't offenseive as the peroid denotes an abbreviation. Much like Eng Fr etc. though I believe it denotes the spoken language.

I did recently find out that the term 'oriental' is considered offensive when referring to people.

Comment

Quoth Jacen View Post
                  Excuse me but a Maxtor 300gb hard drive is still a maxtor 300gb hard drive, even if they're in a different case, different packaging, hell, even if they come with free beer... it's still a Maxtor 300gb hard drive. It'll hold exactly the same amount, it'll function the same and It's probably the same damn price

Not necessarily. Assuming it's a 3 1/2" drive (300 GB is too big for 2 1/2" at current technology, and to the best of my knowledge the "bigfoot" 5 1/4" line was dropped before 300 GB drives became common), is it 5400, 7200, or 10000 RPM? EIDE, SATA, or SCSI interface (and if SCSI, is it the 50 pin or 68 pin connector)?
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                    Not necessarily. Assuming it's a 3 1/2" drive (300 GB is too big for 2 1/2" at current technology, and to the best of my knowledge the "bigfoot" 5 1/4" line was dropped before 300 GB drives became common), is it 5400, 7200, or 10000 RPM? EIDE, SATA, or SCSI interface (and if SCSI, is it the 50 pin or 68 pin connector)?
                    Damn Wolfie, you beat me to it...form factor, interface, spindle speed & cache size all have a bearing on performance.

300GB laptop drives DO exist, but not from Maxtor.http://www.engadget.com/2006/12/11/f...-mobile-drive/

Internal mounting drives could also be 80 pin SCSI (for hot swap RAID systems), SAS (Serial Attached SCSI), Fibre Channel etc.
                    Also, if external mounting, USB/Firewire ext. SATA.

I'm glad Jacen isn't going component shopping for me!

Comment

Quoth yomiko View Post
                      I did recently find out that the term 'oriental' is considered offensive when referring to people.
                      To some of them. But I find "asian" (the usual substitute they request) to be annoying. Asia is a huge place, and it houses several different ethnicities. There are times I want to talk about the people from the general China area without a word that would, in the normal run of things, also apply to Russia, India, the Middle East, and the other smaller nations around them.

Comment

"In Eurasia there are two certain seas - the Black Sea and the Caspian sea. To the north is Russia of these (Belorussia if you want to be technical), to the south of the Black Sea is Turkey. South-east of Turkey is Iran, and north of that is Armenia. To the east is Azerbaijan and to the west is Georgia. (Map are available for the geographically challenged) This area is known as 'Caucasia' (sometimes called 'Caucasus')." -Facebook group "I may be white, but I am most certainly not from Caucasia"

This is why I don't like PC. It applies to everyone except "Caucasians." If you're white (and I do mean white) you could be from anywhere in Europe, Russia, North America, Australia, South Africa, or any of a dozen other places. You could really be from anywhere, but I'm talking ancestry.
                        "Caucasian," as most whites are called, only refers to people from the region mentioned above, most of whom would be considered (by appearance) to be "Middle Eastern". So while "Caucasian" is the standard politically-correct term for white people, it is hugely incorrect.

Sorry for the mini-rant, but PC is one of those things that simply pisses me off to no end. I'll save any more rantage for Fratching.

EDIT: It doesn't just apply to whites either. "Afro-American" is very incorrect also, as the person's ancestors could have been from any of a jillion places that aren't in Africa. And "Afro-Caribbean" (as used in the UK) is hardly better.
                        Last edited by MMATM; 09-15-2007, 05:33 PM. Reason: other examples
                        "I'm not a crazed gunman, dad, I'm an assassin... Well, the difference being one is a job and the other's mental sickness!" -The Sniper

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
                          There are times I want to talk about the people from the general China area without a word that would, in the normal run of things, also apply to Russia, India, the Middle East, and the other smaller nations around them.
                          I tend to use "East Asia." That's generally associated with oriental countries, I think, and since oriental is non-PC... Though can someone tell me why and when oriental became not okay? I would like to respectfully state my confusion over what's bad about it.

Comment

Working...
                          X