Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It may be a state to state thing. A lot of states passed pet lemon laws that said that a store had to reimburse the buyer if the puppy was ill or died after purchase, or if the puppy had a genetic problem. A lot of pet stores decided it wasn't worth the trouble and quit carrying puppies and kittens.

There was also a lot of bad press about puppy mills that started appearing in the late 80s and early 90s. The puppy mills are horrible. The parents might be AKC registered, but that really doesn't mean anything. The bitches were kept in wire cages with no solid floors where they could barely move, bred as soon as possible, the puppies taken away while still too young, and often inbred over several generations. After a few generations, the puppies were dying regularly within the first six weeks to six months.
    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
    HR believes the first person in the door
    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
    Document everything
    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth Anakah View Post
      Wow, I guess I haven't been to a petshop in years... I had no idea they didn't sell puppies anymore. I wouldn't have been a SC about it. Thats interesting.
      I thought they did still sell them. Cause when I was growing up, the pet shop at the forum had puppies. (I always looked as the puppies and kittens were cute but expensive :P 150 to 300 for them. I know the law says they must be 8 weeks or older through.)
      MMO Addicts group

Comment

Petshop here sells puppies (250$-500$) kittens (not that expensive), birds, fishies, guinea pigs, gerbils and one time, chinchillas.

Then again it's about as big as my butt, so it can't be that expensive.

My fluffy daugther was found abandonned in the woods and I adopted her throught the vet.

I'd like to know who's the bleeptard that could abandon such a nice, loving, worse-than-a-cat with her nuzzling dog.

<threadjack> My cousin just adopted a white angora bunny that his mother bought to eat, and refuses categorically to get it vet checked. Now we're not talking.</threadjack>
        Now would be a good time to visit So Very Unofficial!

"I've had so many nasty customers this week, my bottomless pit is now ankle-deep."-Me.

Comment

The large pet stores around here (the big box stores that have PET as the first half of their name) have partnerships with the local animal rescue shelters. They house a handful of cats and dogs for a few weeks in hopes that someone will adopt them. After a while, the animals get swapped out. I personally like that method better than having a slew of kittens and puppies that parents forget to tell their children will NOT stay small and fluffy forever.

Comment

Quoth I Love Pit Bulls
            I just love watching them turn 7 different shades of red when I say, "Oh, those are not babies, it's a 'boy hamster' and that's his 'junk'!"
            *Bwahaha*

People can be so stupid.

The Pet*whatever by the local mall does the adoption thing. Last time we hit the mall, they were having a big weekend. They had a gorgeous (and huge) adult male that was quite notably part maine coon. If we'd had more space or didn't have a cat that hates other animals (she doesn't fight, but she definitely hates having any other non-humans [and most other humans, actually] around) we'd have seen about taking him home.

They also had a gorgeous litter of Russian blues with a ton of personality, and on exceedingly playful black kitten that I would have taken home in a heartbeat. (I miss my little black kitty)

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
            X