Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apparaently we checkout chicks are now psychic...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apparaently we checkout chicks are now psychic...

Two minor stories of suck today, in order as follows:

1) Guy comes up to register, hands me groceries. I pack as usual. Now, to save bags, I do not pack paper towels because it's a waste of plastic bag. Guy looks at me and goes "Well how the heck am I supposed to get this on the bus?" I got annoyed at that...seriously, next time actually be POLITE and ask me "Can I please have a bag?" . I don't get paid enough for you to be rude to me. The part was that he said absolutely NOTHING about a bus before that. And yes he complained, I haven't been written up for it yet, methinks that I'll most likely get a verbal warning about it.

2) A different guy-of Latino descent (this is important for the record), comes up to my register. Scan, bag, tell total. He hands me an UNSIGNED CREDIT CARD! For those who aren't familiar with the rules, Australian stores (I think it's actually international) DO NOT TAKE UNSIGNED CREDIT CARDS! At that point he started blathering on about how it wasn't from Australia, it was from his country and so forth and proceeded to show me ID. At that point, I snapped. I had been there since 8:30, I hadn't taken my antidepressant (not deliberately) so I had a headache from SSRI withdrawal and was not in the mood. So my response was:
    "Well HERE sir, we do not take unsigned credit cards. Now I will NOT put it through for you with that card!" In the end, he complied and paid with a normal debit card.

And a postscript on that: we do not take unsigned credit cards for ANY reason. It doesn't matter if you have ID that matches the name on the card or not, if it's unsigned, we don't accept it. If you don't like it, then fine, go bite my ass and complain to the manager. THey'll tell you the exact same damn thing. You don't like his response? Then go higher. Each time you'll be told: we do not take unsigned credit cards.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Quoth fireheart17 View Post
    1) Guy comes up to register, hands me groceries. I pack as usual. Now, to save bags, I do not pack paper towels because it's a waste of plastic bag. Guy looks at me and goes "Well how the heck am I supposed to get this on the bus?" I got annoyed at that...seriously, next time actually be POLITE and ask me "Can I please have a bag?" . I don't get paid enough for you to be rude to me. The part was that he said absolutely NOTHING about a bus before that. And yes he complained, I haven't been written up for it yet, methinks that I'll most likely get a verbal warning about it.
    Would that be a documented verbal warning? (Our "verbal" warnings come with 4 pages of documentation we have to sign) It's ridiculous that you could in any way get in trouble for that.

Comment

That's IF I get a warning for it. I usually just get pulled aside and told not to do this or that, but I've never received a written warning. And apparaently a few of our stores don't even tell people that they have a written warning.

Comment

I doubt you'll get a warning for the paper towel thing, I mean, it is in it's own plastic container.
        Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Why would you get a warning? They tell you not to bag paper towels, so you didn't. When the guy got shitty about it, you gave him a bag.

I'm confused - what did you do wrong?

I love how he was bitching about catching his bus, but had time to stop and complain about not getting a bag for his paper towel. Jackass.
          "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth Peppergirl View Post

Why would you get a warning? They tell you not to bag paper towels, so you didn't. When the guy got shitty about it, you gave him a bag.
            ?! If you stand there and see me not bag something, dont get pissy about it ...

I tend to carry along my own reusable cloth shopping bags, because that way I dont have a ton of plastic bags around the house ... but even if I didnt, I hope I would be polite about it ! And I make sure that my checker knows I have brought my own bags. Up until the US started pushing reusable bags they thought I was a wierdo, but it is a lot easier now=)
            Last edited by Ree; 10-18-2008, 06:39 PM. Reason: Excessive quoting
            EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Poke holes in plastic bag that paper towels already come in.
              Acheive make-shift handle for bus venture.

Oh, logic.

Comment

1) If something comes in a bag you don't necessarily need one to carry it. I'm sure had the SC asked for one politely she would have given it to him. Store policy or personal policy aside, no one needs to treat someone like an asshole to get what they want.

2) In Australia the rules are: no signature, no deal. End of story.

About the medication thing, some medications need to be taken at certain times of the day or, and correct me if I'm wrong here, I've never taken anti-depressants, when symptoms of an illness start to show. Taking her medications before work might not be how she's instructed to take them, and like it or not sometimes life gets in the way of being able to do things.
                Of course for the OP's sake she should be able to take time to take her medication, but there will always be times where it's not an option and this just happened to be one of those times.
                Last edited by Ree; 10-18-2008, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
                  About the medication thing, some medications need to be taken at certain times of the day or, and correct me if I'm wrong here, I've never taken anti-depressants, when symptoms of an illness start to show.
                  Antidepressants should be taken regularly as it takes a while (weeks) for them to build up to full effect. However missing a day can cause side effects - I know I used to get a side effect that only males can get.
                  "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
                    About the medication thing, some medications need to be taken at certain times of the day or, and correct me if I'm wrong here, I've never taken anti-depressants, when symptoms of an illness start to show. Taking her medications before work might not be how she's instructed to take them, and like it or not sometimes life gets in the way of being able to do things.
                    Of course for the OP's sake she should be able to take time to take her medication, but there will always be times where it's not an option and this just happened to be one of those times.
                    From the OP, it was unintentional that she had not taken her SSRI. Methinks she either forgot in her rush out the door, or she couldn't afford her copay to refill her medication. More likely it was the former.

That being said, all cashiers are expected to be psychic; only some of us are.
                    Marvin: "Here I am, brain the size of a planet and they ask me to take you down to the bridge. Call that job satisfaction? 'Cos I don't."

Krispy Kreme puts the "ugh" back in "doughnuts".

Comment

I don't know what kind of anti-depressant the OP takes, but I take one that has a quicker "half-life" than most of the older drugs (Prozac, etc.). Same class of drug but it works quicker (I noticed a difference within a couple of weeks, versus 6 weeks or more with many others (before I started this one I took Paxil for 3 months and didn't notice any difference). The down side is that it clears your system quicker also, which means you get withdrawal effects (something like Prozac stays in your system longer, so it doesn't hit you as hard if you forget one dose). I usually take mine with dinner; if I forget, as long as I remember to take it before I go to bed I'm OK. Otherwise by the next afternoon I start feeling shaky and nauseous. And if I do forget I don't want to take it too early the next day because I don't want to screw up my schedule, so I'll hold out as long as I can stand it.

In other words, I know your pain
                      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

In regards to the anti-depressant, it was more the rush-out-the-door thing. I take lexapro. I also take it in the morning, regarding doctor's instructions...I usually take it around 8am-ish, but I can still take it about 30 minutes later and be OK.
                        Last edited by fireheart; 12-30-2008, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X