This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bitlocker hell

I'm reasonably certain that my last windows 10 update(I have a cheap <$200 Lenovo 100S laptop) borked a driver, as an error I saw claimed as much, and now I've entered Bitlocker hell. Microsoft, of course, was no help, I got someone reading a script in bad English who suggested things I can only do if the thing booted, which it won't.

The error I see on the "please enter recovery key" page says that the secure boot process changed. No changing back until I unlock the damn thing.

I can't reset it because it's locked and needs the recovery key The website that the bitlocker screen directs me to is a non functional Microsoft page that says 10 is no longer free.

I'm being prompted for a Bitlocker recovery key on startup. I can't get it through my Hotmail address (long story), and doing the "manage bde protectors get" does not produce the recovery key, but a numeric password (that has letters in it).

I don't ever remember even enabling Bitlocker and I don't have any papers from when I bought my nearly new paperweight.
    Last edited by Tama; 08-11-2016, 02:46 PM.
    My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

If you cant get the key, I am sorry to say that you will be out of luck.

The other thought I have is that you where hit with a ransonmware derivative of "Locky" it uses bitlocker to encrypt your hard drive and make you pay to get the key. The windows 10 update was just the reboot it needed to take hold.
    Last edited by EricKei; 08-11-2016, 06:32 PM.

Comment

BitLocker should be present on a system that's "Pro" or better -- but, IIRC, it is NOT enabled by default. I agree that this does sound really odd. My money's on malware, as well.

On a long-shot related note -- Were any of your files encrypted, in addition to the drive, as far as you know? One of the downsides of how Windows does encryption is this: If you encrypt both, the encrypted files will not be accessible on ANY other installation of Windows, even if it's on the same computer (it apparently uses the local ID code/install code as part of the encrypt sequence). Nothing short of government-level data recovery can recover such a file -- as in, the guys who can reliably recover drives that have been sitting at the bottom of a swamp for 5 years and then slammed into a brick wall a few dozen times.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I don't think any of my other files were encrypted, I don't know how to do that sort of thing. If they want money it's a bad way to go about it, I haven't seen a "pay here" screen yet.

Malware would make sense, I guess.

Thanks for replying. ^^
        Last edited by Tama; 08-12-2016, 01:08 AM.
        My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Sometimes the Malware fails to take hold correctly giving you mixed results.

Comment

Working...
          X